Bodmin Road (Parkway) Station

I have been looking at Bodmin Road(Parkway) Station as the basis for a possible model set in BR days.

I would like to ask if any other Classes/ Types of locomotive made "regular"appearances at the station's Bodmin branch platform in addition to the ones I have listed below:

Ex-GWR 45XX Class with 'B' set (and occasional Brake Compo) or with China Clay or General Goods.

Ex-SR O2 Class with 'P' set.

Various flavours of Ex-GWR Pannier Tank.

Green D4XXX Shunters and D63XX Diesels and Green DMUS (single?).

Class 08, Class 25, Class 37 and Class 45/46 Diesels in the "Rail Blue" era - freight only

I think I can recall or find photographic references for the above but I would be interested to add/learn of any other classes/types which made "regular" appearances.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

hi, think you are about there with the steam / transition period. Certainly panniers and praries were the mainstay with the class 22s creaping later. Not sure though about the O2 or other southern stock being regulars. The southern from wadebridge ran to bodmin North not Road. I'm not saying ex SR didn't appear at Road but i would have though at least 95% would have been WR stuff. There's plenty of books covering the bodmin lines, i'm sure photos will prove it either way. There is of course modeller's licence......

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking at Bodmin Road(Parkway) Station as the basis for a possible model set in BR days.

I would like to ask if any other Classes/ Types of locomotive made "regular"appearances at the station's Bodmin branch platform in addition to the ones I have listed below:

Ex-GWR 45XX Class with 'B' set (and occasional Brake Compo) or with China Clay or General Goods.

Ex-SR O2 Class with 'P' set.

Various flavours of Ex-GWR Pannier Tank.

Green D4XXX Shunters and D63XX Diesels and Green DMUS (single?).

Class 08, Class 25, Class 37 and Class 45/46 Diesels in the "Rail Blue" era - freight only

I think I can recall or find photographic references for the above but I would be interested to add/learn of any other classes/types which made "regular" appearances.

Thanks

The Middleton Press book on the area has a picture of an O2 at Bodmin Road but notes it as a rarity. In steam days teh 45XX were the mainstay of the branch but certainly in the later part of teh steam period 57XX/8750 panniers worked on the branch.

Passenger services were originally dieselised with D63XX replacing teh 45XX but later a dmu was used - always, I think, a single power car (definitely so when i travelled on it) although I think the railbus might have worked down to Bodmin Road on some workings.

I think diesel shunters were quite a late feature but am not at all sure on that and I do wonder about Class 45/46 - the line was route colour 'Blue' and therefore anything 'Red' was prohibited unless specially authorised (nothing Red was so authorised in 1963).

Class 47s went up the branch in later years with a certain 'special' working BUT they did not go through to Bodmin and were not permitted to do so as far as I ever knew (and I used to arrange those workings in the mid-1980s).

In connection with the last two posts questioning the use of Class 45/46 locomotives I have re-examined the photograph I was recollecting which is in the Middleton Press "Wenford Bridge to Fowey" book.

I think I have deceived myself as the photograph is taken at an angle which shows only the locomotive and six clayhoods before apparently disappearing "round the curve", I now suspect the remainder of the clayhoods may be snaking their way out of the the exchange sidings but are not visible in the photograph.

This seems a likely supposition to me as I thought these locomotives were probably unlikely candidates for the branch as they were such heavy beasts.

Archived