Waltons of Altrincham

Had seen in the September Modeller that the above shop was offering a limited edition set of three Bachmann "Crosfield" wagons. On to the website, join up for online ordering, order the items, oops, can only order online for UK Address despatch.

Fair enough, check opening hours, next evening phone the shop, and explain what I want to buy, can you send it to Western Australia?

"err, no, our bank won't accept payment on cards going to foreign addresses". OK, if I give you a UK address can you send it there?

" err, no, it will be a foreign card." Well, how about if I send you cash? "Err, no, we aren't geared up to send parcels overseas."

OK then ,cheerio. :unsure:

Given all the help and orders I've had over 35 years,not just from the big guys, but small outfits like "Tutbury Jinny" and "Much Ado" this is somewhat puzzling from what appears to be a fairly large retailer. Does the world still stop at Dover???

Actually no! Contacting a pal who lives in a county near London, (England), he ordered by phone and received a distinct reluctance to send to his county, perhaps they realised he was going to forward them to Oz! :lol:

Puzzled of Perth, Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

No experience of Waltons, although have seen their ads going back many years, I think. I do wonder if that's the problem - they are an old-established business, and have a long history with their bank, pre-dating the Internet by decades, perhaps. Thus they have never seen the need to ask for a different set of conditions in connection with overseas sales - and if they are making enough money who can blame them? Many people regard "exporting" as hard work, which it may be to the unfamiliar. At the other end of the scale, I never cease to be amazed by the obviously-one-man-band firms who will happily send all over the world - even to rural France! Long may they prosper!

I hope you find an Oz-compliant vendor soon!

I do find this distinctly odd as Waltons are principally a Continental European outline model shop, who must therefore have plenty of dealings with forign banks, albeit with funds flowing in the opposite direction!

I've been a personal customer here for some 5 years now and always find Keith (the owner) most amiable, admittedly the other chap can be a bit "hit & miss" though!

I would happily offer to call in and pick these wagons up for you but i'm going abroad myself very shortly, sorry.

Maybe a "wanted" advert if no-one else volunteers?

Cheers,

John E.

I can sympathise with Waltons as some time ago we were advised by our insurance company that if we sent mail order items overseas we would see our premiums increase considerably. Since then our merchant service provider has more than doubled the transaction fees as a result of card fraud, especially from overseas. Because of these issues we no longer send anything outside the UK,no longer accept customer not present payments and no longer accept cheques since an attempted fraudulent use of a cheque. All our mail order is done online only and via Paypal and we have noticed no drop off in business.

Dave

That's right, no criminals in the UK right? Only those damned foreigners..................

Best, Pete.

Don't think that is the point....just as many crooks in the UK...but it easier to check details / chase non payers etc if they are in the same country as you

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Archived