The kit connection

Simon Moore

I've been trying to track down a kit recently & came across these http://www.thekitconnection.com/ i've never heard of them before & they are based in spain. I got a email back which seems to be genuine but wanted to make sure that i wasn't being taken for a ride or ripped off as it was. I have no doubt it is genuine but i just wanted some feedback to make double sure i was doing the right thing. They have given me a payment address etc for doing a bank transfer which is something have done before with brassmasters. I'm always a bit suspicious of places overseas.

Cheers

Simon.

If my memory serves me right, The Kit Connection involves Mike Wynn, formerly the man behind the long-vanished Tru-Scale Models (Manchester) which based in Rhyl during the late '80s. He produced etched motor bogies for various diesels, and you could have them as a kit or ready-built. He also produced a BR1B/1C tender kit (I think it was etched nickel silver) suitable for some BR Standards.

Mike Wynn eventually became a born-again Christian, and emigrated to Spain. I used to get religious cards every so often from him after he went to live there.

If my memory serves me right, The Kit Connection involves Mike Wynn, formerly the man behind the long-vanished Tru-Scale Models (Manchester) which based in Rhyl during the late '80s. He produced etched motor bogies for various diesels, and you could have them as a kit or ready-built. He also produced a BR1B/1C tender kit (I think it was etched nickel silver) suitable for some BR Standards.

Mike Wynn eventually became a born-again Christian, and emigrated to Spain. I used to get religious cards every so often from him after he went to live there.

I was wondering who they were, as I don't remember seeing any adverts, or mention of them in magazines, although doubtless there were some. I have a set of OO coach wheels and pin point axles (unmounted) with a manufacturer's name of "TASEKO Ltd" in Preston on the back, and distributed by ES Models in Blackpool. They must have done P4 wheels as well, as the label says "OO EM 18.83"

I was wondering who they were, as I don't remember seeing any adverts, or mention of them in magazines, although doubtless there were some. I have a set of OO coach wheels and pin point axles (unmounted) with a manufacturer's name of "TASEKO Ltd" in Preston on the back, and distributed by ES Models in Blackpool. They must have done P4 wheels as well, as the label says "OO EM 18.83"

Taseko was the later company name which traded as Tru-Scale Models. They did quite a bit more than just wheels! Here are the etches from the Class 31 bogie set. They also did an etched kit for a "Trestrol" - Chris Pendlenton built at least one, possibly more, for North Shields. The one kit I always regretted not buying was the all-etched n/s kit for the BR Standard BR1B/C tender.

Mike Wynn actually got as far as completing artwork for a proper scale 9F chassis, but found that the test etches (at the time) couldn't cope with his dead-scale motion - he hadn't thought of using dressmakers' pins for the pivots, as opposed to valve-gear rivets.

Tru-Scale bits hardly ever come up on secondhand stalls or eBay, but they must be in people's drawers; it wasn't as if Tru-Scale never sold anything!

post-6879-065840200 1284208121_thumb.jpg

Archived