37 075 Makes crosses Apesford Level Crossing

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold

37 075 made an historic crossing of Apesford Level Crossing today (10/09/10) at about 1130, this being the first main line loco to cross it for nearly 20 years I believe. Here are two videos I took, photos to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmOHzhdCX8

First Test Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpG9cTNK1kU

Second Test Run

• RMweb Gold

The dis-used line has recently been taken over from Network Rail by Moorland and City Railway and they have been clearing the track to get it ready for operation in November, I think the last train to use the line was in 1994.

Yesterday 37 075 reached the Level Crossing but didn't go over it, my friend owns the old Apesford Crossing Keepers Cottage he sent some pictures and told me it was planned to cross today so I went over to record the occasion.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

The dis-used line has recently been taken over from Network Rail by Moorland and City Railway and they have been clearing the track to get it ready for operation in November, I think the last train to use the line was in 1994.

Yesterday 37 075 reached the Level Crossing but didn't go over it, my friend owns the old Apesford Crossing Keepers Cottage he sent some pictures and told me it was planned to cross today so I went over to record the occasion.

Peter

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like they've got a fair bit of work to do before that can be used - gates in a bad state, no road signs or markings (and presumably no railway signage either?). Seems like they are going to be rather busy if they are going to open it when they've said they are going to open it!

Always pleased to hear someone has rescued a bit more railway, of course. How does the society stand re ROGS timescales for getting things shipshape? I thought the new requirements were due in very shortly? How will they affect the preserved lines?

• RMweb Gold

Always pleased to hear someone has rescued a bit more railway, of course. How does the society stand re ROGS timescales for getting things shipshape? I thought the new requirements were due in very shortly? How will they affect the preserved lines?

I think the part exemption the heritage sector was granted expires next month Ian. But in theory it wouldn't apply to this line as its restoration didn't commence under the old HMRI approval and Inspection regime - as has been the case with several other things in the preservation world which have only ever been dealt with under ROGS.

But the Inspectorate still have every right to come in and in the case of something like a line (re)opening it would be most unlikely if they did not get involved. But what they are then inspecting is something slightly different as while they have every right to carry out a physical inspection (and, I think, would normally do so) they can also look to see if ROGS has been correctly applied and can take enforcement action if they decide it hasn't.

But what has changed is that effectively the HMRIs no longer act as a sort of unpaid consultant - they can tell you that you are doing it wrong, or aren't doing it right, but they're no longer in a position of necessarily suggesting how you might care to do it (although they sometimes do so in practice - then you are in the position of having to prove to them why you are not going to do it the way they want it! The latter mainly seems to happen with paperwork, records and admin procedures and it is winnable if you are on firm ground - I've got the T shirt on that one :) ).

But when it comes to physical stuff out on the line etc or on stock it is not easy to re-write physics or what is still in various mandatory documents, and they know it.

The HMRI were in attendance today and that I presume was the reason for the test.

Peter

Sounds exciting Pete.

So we could be hearing something soon as to whether running rights have been granted...!!! :good_mini:

I spent all last weekend in the caravan park alongside the track at Cheddleton......the guys in the workshops were really upbeat about this happening. I have booked in at the touring caravan site again for the weekend of the proposed opening in Novemeber.

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that’s one way to get the dirt out between the check rails !,now I wonder if that will work on my in filled track:lol:

they had to put new rails in, the old ones were removed and the gullies tarmacced over about 2 years ago as the crossing timbers were in such bad repair

• RMweb Gold

The test runs continue!

Today LMS 8624 did a test run up to Apesford Crossing, here are a selection of pictures from this evening.

post-6784-024286000 1286146430_thumb.jpg

post-6784-004145000 1286146431_thumb.jpg

post-6784-086125300 1286146431_thumb.jpg

post-6784-085408000 1286146432_thumb.jpg

post-6784-077188800 1286146434_thumb.jpg

post-6784-051700000 1286146435_thumb.jpg

post-6784-016906100 1286146436_thumb.jpg

post-6784-087803200 1286146436_thumb.jpg

How about that for a train set at the end of your garden!

post-6784-066061700 1286146437_thumb.jpg

post-6784-049664200 1286146438_thumb.jpg

post-6784-049709800 1286146470_thumb.jpg

post-6784-016919300 1286146471_thumb.jpg

post-6784-085533500 1286146471_thumb.jpg

Well done that man.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic set of pictures and video too.........I am just about wetting myself with anticipation of the big event.

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting everything for us to see. :good_mini: :good_mini: :good_mini:

Bob

Archived