Bachmann 4-CEP Failure

RFS

• RMweb Gold

Just tried to run one my 3 4-CEPs and it wouldn't move. Lights/headcode etc. shining brightly so the pickups are OK. But the decoder (Lenz Silver21) wouldn't reset on the programming track nor show any of its CVs including its address. So I removed it and replaced with the blanking plug. It still won't run on address 0, or even on a proper DC track for which I have an old controller. Again lights come on when you turn on the power, but the motor is dead.

Anyone else had problems with their 4-CEP?

• RMweb Premium

I know it may be obvious but have you checked that there is nothing stuck in the motor/gearing that is preventing it from turning over? quite often the smallest and most inconspicuos piece of material can stop a motor turning over. Check all the electrical connections, can you turn the motor over manually? Sometimes screws work loose or are meant to be removed in the case of some transportation screws which keep things stable in transit. I know you have probably tried all this but it is worth mentioning it, I would also check the gearing and wheels to make sure there is no damage/binding. failing that send/take it back to the retailer and ensure the replacement is tested before you accept it. It could be something like a batch problem, or you may just be unlucky and got a dud. Good luck anyway.

Just tried to run one my 3 4-CEPs and it wouldn't move. Lights/headcode etc. shining brightly so the pickups are OK. But the decoder (Lenz Silver21) wouldn't reset on the programming track nor show any of its CVs including its address. So I removed it and replaced with the blanking plug. It still won't run on address 0, or even on a proper DC track for which I have an old controller. Again lights come on when you turn on the power, but the motor is dead.

Anyone else had problems with their 4-CEP?

Check that two wires coming from the motor to the circuit board haven't become detatch from the circuit board.

If they have, remove the clips that hold them in place and solder them to the connections instead.

K9-70

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your replies but I think it's more than just a motor connection failure. If that were the case then, the decoder would at least respond, eg I could turn the lights on and off. But I can't do that, and the decoder doesn't respond on the programming track either. Replacing the decoder with the blanking plug, and placing the unit on a DC layout, also doesn't work so it can't be a faulty decoder. I suspect it's an issue with the internal circuit board but the motor is a true black box and nothing is visible, so I'm going to send it to Bachmann as it's still under warranty.

The unit was driven to its staging siding a couple of days ago without a problemm, but then wouldn't start yesterday so it's not a case of movement causing something to become detached. At least that's what I suspect.

Archived