Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hollywood motor bogies

I was planning on asking the same question myself about the Hollywood Foundry products. Apparently Model Rail published an article some time back in which Mr. George Dent revamped a Hornby tender-drive 2P or 4F with a product Hollywood Foundry makes specifically for that purpose. It's not a simple drop-in conversion, but it's not difficult either, the gentleman at Hollywood told me.

I contacted Model Rail about purchasing a reprint -- they don't provide that service, they replied. (Now there's the kind of service that will make me want to subscribe.)

If anyone can point us in the right direction, many thanks!

Issue concerned is MR134 August 2009,Masterclass : Midland 4-4-0s.

George Dent's step by step guide concerns Improving the Hornby 2P Masterclass,using the BullAnt major tender drive, model MBA16.5/2626S,fitted with 16mm dia spoked wheels,mashima 1624 motor with wheelbase of 26X26mm.

One problem mentioned was adding enough weight to the front of the tender to aid adhesion as there was not enough space to refit the original weight,voids such as equipment lockers were filled with lead shot,the rearward Hornby weight was retained.

Performance was "far superior to the original"

Delivery time quoted in article was 6 weeks.Conversion to DCC was not mentioned

Since George did the original conversion, quite a lot of these drives have been made, in fact I am making up 8 of them at present . You may be able to get one off-the-shelf from 3MM Scale Model Railways, Malcolm orders them quite frequently. The issue regarding weight is quite true, you need to pack as much weight into the tender spaces as possible. DCC conversion is not difficult, but there is no socket provision because there is no PCB attached to the mechanism.

• RMweb Premium

Delivery time quoted in article was 6 weeks.Conversion to DCC was not mentioned

They are relatively easy to convert to DCC as there are two wires from pickup to motor - simply route them via a decoder.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. Only experience of a BullAnt is via a Judith Edge Steelman - they do look a VERy good power unit.

Archived