DCC Sound in a 47?

ECML180

I'm looking to add a class 47 in Virgin livery to my layout and I'm not entirely convinced my ViTrains. Do they have working head and tail lights? And is it possible to fit DCC sound to one, I'm useless at fitting chips so I would need to get someone else to fit it for me, any recomendations for who to fit it or which sound chip to use?

Thanks

Hi ECML180,

I can speak from experience from a ViTrains 37 which has the same chasis, they do have working head and tail lights and have plenty of room for fitting a DCC sound chip. I used a south west digital chip and is worth having a go yourself with this one as I found this very easy. The body was easy to clip off, remove the blanking plate and then plug in the sound chip, test it first before putting the body back on and then your done.

The only thing I would prewarn you about the ViTrains models are you have to add on alot of stuff yourself but once done they look great, nice smooth runners too.

• 11 months later...

Hi ECML180,

I can speak from experience from a ViTrains 37 which has the same chasis, they do have working head and tail lights and have plenty of room for fitting a DCC sound chip. I used a south west digital chip and is worth having a go yourself with this one as I found this very easy. The body was easy to clip off, remove the blanking plate and then plug in the sound chip, test it first before putting the body back on and then your done.

The only thing I would prewarn you about the ViTrains models are you have to add on alot of stuff yourself but once done they look great, nice smooth runners too.

Hi nse47,

I have brought a ViTrains 37 which I am going to put sound into, and thanks for your tips which were intended for ECML180, just one question where did you put, or place the speaker? I was thinking of opening the exhaust ports out and placing it under there.

Pete.

Hi nse47,

I have brought a ViTrains 37 which I am going to put sound into, and thanks for your tips which were intended for ECML180, just one question where did you put, or place the speaker? I was thinking of opening the exhaust ports out and placing it under there.

Pete.

Pete,

Check out this link for ViTrains 37 sound instal:

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/aboutus/HornbyMagazine45Mar2011.pdf

Good luck,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

pete, my vi-trains 37 has a 1 min lok-sound in it, so very limited sounds, however the speaker is mounted upside down under the fan grille

i removed the fan moulding from below the fan grille and placed the supplied speaker housing in its place using "black tak" but not before adding the red fan blades to the bottom of the housing (which is pointing upwards) below the grille if you get what i mean

vid here, sounds by howes as usual

Gentlemen,

Can we please read the OP 's post before answering on the thread. Unless I am very mistaken the OP is intending to fit sound to a Class 47 as supplied by Vi-Trains.

All the replies are alluding to a Class 37.

I do appreciate that one post states clearly that the chassis is the same but, equally clearly, the sound is different.

So, unless we can collectively show the OP that the Vi Trains Class 47 in Virgin livery is suitable for installation of a sound decoder from your favoured maker with Class 47 sounds on it then this thread has seriously veered away from the OP's original request.

Gentlemen,

Can we please read the OP 's post before answering on the thread. Unless I am very mistaken the OP is intending to fit sound to a Class 47 as supplied by Vi-Trains.

I do appreciate that one post states clearly that the chassis is the same but, equally clearly, the sound is different.

So, unless we can collectively show the OP that the Vi Trains Class 47 in Virgin livery is suitable for installation of a sound decoder from your favoured maker with Class 47 sounds on it then this thread has seriously veered away from the OP's original request.

David,

I did read the OP, and I noted the date of it.

What you say is correct, but the OP was going to do this in September 2010. I assumed he had probably done it by now.

The recent poster, Pete2210, however, requires info now for a current project. So I responded with a link to some practical advice absolutely germane to his request.

I should have said that this article illustrates a Zimo decoder, but the speaker installation could be the same with a LokV4.

Pete2210,

It might be easier for all involved if you started a new thread if you need advice that does not fall within the exact terms of an existing thread title. :good:

Paul

David,

I did read the OP, and I noted the date of it.

What you say is correct, but the OP was going to do this in September 2010. I assumed he had probably done it by now.

The recent poster, Pete2210, however, requires info now for a current project. So I responded with a link to some practical advice absolutely germane to his request.

I should have said that this article illustrates a Zimo decoder, but the speaker installation could be the same with a LokV4.

Pete2210,

It might be easier for all involved if you started a new thread if you need advice that does not fall within the exact terms of an existing thread title. :good:

Paul

Sorry for causing a problem dwhite4dcc, but thanks to BigJim and Paul for their help, especially to Paul for the link to the pdf file.

I came in on this one because although the original question was about the ViTrains 47, nse47 gave an answer using the Class 37 as an example, but as I said, sorry, I'll start a new thread next time.

Pete

Here's "Lion", which was the Class 47 prototype, so appropriate sounds. The model is a Heljan OO, fitted with YouChoos sounds, plus added cab lights and crew.

DCC sound is provided by a CT Elektroink SL51-4 decoder and 25mm base-enhanced speaker with a large enclosure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-kD8UdHMj4&feature=player_embedded

• RMweb Gold

Gentlemen,

similarly to pauls reply to the above i too noted the date of the OP and of petes recent request for class 37 info hence my info and vid of the lok sound fitted vi-trains 37, i cant see a problem myself

Archived