N Gauge D600

Karhedron

This is my first attempt at a modern image kit in N gauge (if you can call a prototype over 50 years old "modern" ;)). The kit is a western region D600 Diesel Hydraulic made by Carl Pelpow of "It's N Gauge". The kit comes as a resin bodyshell with etched details that is to be fitted on the older Bachmann/Farish class 47 chassis.

The bodyshell is fairly good although it benefitted from a couple of evenings smoothing and filling. Once I was satisfied I primed it with Halfords grey car primer. Once this was done I masked off the roof area with tamiya masking tape. I then sprayed another coat of primer to seal the edges and prevent any of the body colour kreeping under. I then applied several light coats of Rover "Brooklands Green" car paint. I like using car paints as I find they usually give a very good finish which takes transfers very well. This particular shade is an excellent match for BR Green.

This shot is of the bodyshell with the basic colours applied.

DSCF3302-1.jpg

Once the body colour was satisfactory the masking tape was removed. I then painted the silver window frames with acrylic silver paint, a fine brush and a very steady hand. ;)

I glazed the windows with Micro Kristal Klear. This clever stuff is rather like thick PVA. You paint the inside of the frames with it then draw a thin skin across the window apperature. This then dries clear to give a wonderful flush-glazed finish. I am very pleased with this stuff and will be using it again in the future.

Here is a shot of the bodyshell with the windows glazed. I am quite pleased with this as it captures the bright aluminium window surrounds of the original.

DSCF3305-1.jpg

The next step was to add the body lining and late BR crests courtesy of Fox transfers. I applied a coat of Johnsons Klear before and after applying the transfers and there is no trace of the backing material around the transfers.

For the lining I first applied masking tape just above where I wanted the line to be. I then simply applied the transfer and brushed up up against the tape to give a nice straight line with no trouble. I recommend this method to anyone who has trouble getting lining transfers to lie straight. The flash has made the bodyside lining look white whereas it is in fact grey as per the prototype.

DSCF3306-1.jpg

I have now added the numbering and red route availability dots to the cab sides. I have also drilled out the holes for mounting the buffers (thanks to Bernie at TPM).

The numbers are fox tranfers from the Warship slide. I first applied the numbers for D800 and allowed them to dry. I then carefully sliced out the 8 digit and scrapped it off with a cocktail stick. I applied a coat of Klear to seal it and then added the 6 from elsewhere on the sheet to give D600. I have ordered nameplates for D600 "Active" from Shawplan and these will be pretty much the finishing touch for the bodyshell.

I have painted the buffer beam red and I have also sealed the paint and transfers with a couple of coats of Testors Dullcoat. This gives a superb flat finish every time. The only downside is that it has caused a slight fogging of the cab windows. This is not really a serious problem but I will remember to leave the windows until after I have finished the livery in future. I will try giving the windows a coat of Johnsons Klear as this may restore their clarity.

DSCF3354-1.jpg

The D600 kit is designed to fit on a standard cloass 47 chassis. This makes life pretty easy on fitting, it is also a good compromise as the D600s and 47s were close in length (certainly close enough to make the difference neglidgable in N gauge).

The kit also contains resin parts for the battery boxes and underframe detail. However one part stands out as being very different and that is the bogie sideframes. The D600 bogies were heavy cast affairs and were old-fashioned even when new. The class 47s has very different bogies.

Fortunately the N Gauge Yahoo group came to my rescue and suggested the Class 77 bogie sideframes made by MSL for their kit. Although not quite identical, the class 77 bogies are very close to those on the D600s. They are also cast to fit the standard Bachmann/Farish 3-axel bogie which makes fitting them to this kit easy.

After check photos of the prototypes I was convinced that this was the only way to get accurate bogie sideframes short of making my own so I ordered a pair. Here is a picture of a painted sideframe prior to fitting. I have also included a link to a photo of D600 in her first year showing the MSL kit to be a reasonable match.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/hydraulic_pioneers.htm

DSCF3350.jpg

The body is now finished and the buffers have been added. I have also finished the chassis with the new battery boxes and bogie sideframes in place. All that remains to be added are the etched nameplates and headcode discs. Below are my first pictures of the body married to its chassis. The buffer beam looks a little on the bright side so I may tone this down slightly with a bit of weathering or get some hoses etc to clutter it up a bit.

DSCF3358-1.jpg

DSCF3359-1.jpg

And here we have the finished loco. I have added the nameplates "Active" and NBL worksplates courtesy of Shawplan. I have also added the headcode discs to the front as these locos carried when new. One cab has been set for fast freight work and the other for express passenger workings. These locos worked on top link services for the first few years before being displaced by the D800 warships so these codes are quite suitable for the loco in the first few years of its life.

With hindsight I should have added the "closed" headcode discs at the start and then painted them with the rest of the body. This would have been easier than trying to glue them on afterwards without spoiling the paintwork.

I am really pleased with the way this loco has turned out and it will be in regular service on my layout (when I get around to finishing it ;)). Since I started, Carl has revamped this kit with improved grill detail so anyone else wanting to have a go can now get the improved version of the kit.

Here are a couple of shots of the finished loco.

DSCF3407-1.jpg

DSCF3408-1.jpg

I'm particularly interested in the glazing. Where can you buy it from and how does it stand up to handling?

I picked mine up on eBay but I am sure some model stores will also carry it. It is very popular among model aeroplane makers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Microscale-Ind-Micro-Kristal-Clear-/110547800089?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item19bd299019

Once dry it seems reasonably tough. I am sure you could poke a finger through it if you tried but it does not object to accidental handling. I have also glazed a Ratio GWR signal box with the stuff and I can pick it up by the walls without having to take care to avoid the windows. It seems to react OK to varnish so you could always use a coat to reinforce it if you felt the need. Just be aware that matt varnish will cause a slight fogging (which may actually be useful in some cases).

• RMweb Premium

Very nice. I once bought a resin Hymek from one of Carl Peplow's previous companies (Heritage N I think at the time) and thought it was a good kit, nicely detailed. It's designed to fit a class 25 or 33 chassis. The bogie sideframes are for the correct wheel spacing for a Hymek, but the wheels on the Farish chassis didn't line up. I managed to bodge the Farish bogies by lengthening the wheelbase, which meant only one axle on each bogie was powered. I tested it and it all seemed ok, at which point Dapol announced their model and mine got consigned to a drawer!

Archived