Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR Coaches

Having said earlier (about 5 years ago) there were plenty of scale drawings in Russells GWR coach books, I had cause to search through the four volumes this week with a view to etching a Hawksworth non-corridor brake third to D132. Bah, nothing there.  :(

But there is a drawing of the C83 which is the same length and has 10 rather than 6 3rd class compartments.  So the brake compartment is 4 3rd class compartments long.  The photos of the D132 are good enough to work out the location the brake compartment windows and doors.  And it all fits nicely on a Hornby chassis.

Job done.

I hope it is possible to work things out from a 10 compartment all third. I am most familiar with LMS coaches, window sizes and compartment sizes, and much less so with GWR coaches with their seemingly endless window pan sizes and window positions from the gutter. Etching is a lot more than cut and shut.......It has to be spot-on for the investment involved. I'm not saying anyone is doing cut and shut, just making the observation that CAD 'drawing' for etching is a different kettle of fish. I will have a good look at things in the morning and thanks for the suggestions.

For reasons I can neither fathom nor remember, I have two copies of Harris' Great Western Coaches from 1890, and would be happy to sell one to a good home. The book is not "drawings", it's mainly text & photos. If anyone's interested, please PM me.

Best

Simon

Archived