Woodmere OO

pauln

Grrr. What a frustrating and possibly expensive morning . Having installed a reblown sound chip in one of my Class 50s I wanted to see why it had no lights. Cause was one of the wires had come off the 8 pin socket. In my cack-handed attempts to solder it back on I managed to pull off another wire and then nudged another terminal with the soldering iron. Eventually I ended up trying to solder all of the wires back on. Not the best day to try a new soldering iron. Cutting a long story short just as I got it all soldered in a very untidy way one of the pins that goes into the socket on the loco fell out and resisted all attempts to be reinserted and stay there.

Not satisfied with that I decided to take another 8 pin socket which had the wires attached and attempt to solder the wires direct to the Loksound decoder .... well that was no more successful and I managed to fuse a couple of the solder tabs together which wasn't easy to undo. I eventually got all the wires on, put the loco on the track to find I had a short somewhere which was hardly surprising with all the messing about I'd done. Given up for the day now. May try some of that conductive glue instead.

One question. The Loksound 3.5 decoder manual shows 11 wires going into the decoder but there are only 10 terminals ???? 

• 2 years later...

Archived