Penmouth

B954673

after 2 false starts, I am now happy with the roof. The basic construction is soldered rail, made into semi-circular pieces, soldered to stretchers, again made from rain, this is then covered in corrugated plasticard. The support on the north side rests on the retaining wall and on the south side, its on piers, made out of brass tube, this has been glued into the platform, and an extension made again from corrugated plasticard to cover the gap between the train shed and the bay platform. a couple of pictures to show how it looks.

In the pictures is my latest loco, 37251

I realy wanted the roof to have opaic sections in it to allow light in to the train shed, i was not happy with the corrigated clear plasticard, so tried to make my own, by putting a sheet of mornal corrigated plasticard though a laminator. this worked realy well, and looked awsom however I tryed all sorts of glue, and it would stick for a bit, but after a couple of days, or after picking it up the gule failed, and then it would warp. so the final attempt (current) is just a solid roof. It is quite dark inside and so I will have to install lights, which I wanted to avoid. thats the next job...

thats it for now, as always comments always appreciated

post-9949-0-53844800-1309466873_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-36817800-1309466923_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-77024600-1309466997_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-12801200-1309467065_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-24107900-1309467132_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-46944100-1309467223_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-07365500-1309467313_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-43829500-1309467389_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-78362800-1309467469_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Good to see some more more progress.The roof is looking good & you've taken some excellent photo's which really look the part.The upside of installing lights is that if you add them to all parts of the layout (platform,signal box,cars street lights etc) you will get a really atmospheric layout.

• RMweb Gold

I think there were plenty of overall rooves that lacked glazing, so while the lighting will be a pain, it probably represents a justifiable arrangement. Your steelwork is a credit to your soldering skills, certainly.

Just one comment on the 37 - most drivers I have known are quite convinced they want a clear view of the road ahead - and those all-important signals! The loco's front screens really need to be fully transparent, at least over the area the windscreen wiper would sweep.

Brilliant progress on your layout!

The roof is great, and I second the credit to your soldering skills. I know how frustrated I got just trying to make a yard tower so well done indeed!

The only thing that worries me is the edge of your board where the 37 is parked... I had a class 14 "jump" off the rails yesterday and too a tumble. It shouldn't have happened, but it did. Think I'll be applying a safety net to the front of my test track in future!

Keep the pictures coming.

regards

Lee :D

Thanks for the comments, Penzance is what its based on, and I'm glad it is recognizable. The 37's windows have been cleaned, and I to worry about the front road being very close to the edge. The issue being what I can fit into the available space. When I first laid the track I was more concerned. but the views you can get, into the station (being so close, its hard not to close one eye and have the trains run right next to your face (just like when a kid and lying on the floor)) make a compelling argument (at the moment) not to expand forwards just yet.

I have spent the last week clearing space, and planning for the next big push towards the depot/seawall the next three boards are currently being planned. due to space issuses the next board over will be only 60 cm long (2 foot 6 in old money), this so the freezer door can be openable. hopefully this will be just being long enough for the second crossover, and the junction to the shed road. the track on this board will cross a small river/stream/underpass and lead on to the next board, where the main line will diverge to the fiddle yard behind, and the front of the next two boards will hopefully give enough space for the depot/carriage sidings (a very condensed Longrock) I know that a picture speaks a thousand words, but I haven't really got anything to show at the moment, just some empty space, and some very rough scribbles. I have a couple of jobs to do beforehand, one being adding some points to my sons layout, which he has been asking for ages!

thats all for now...

• 1 month later...

I have had some time spare today, and so have been working on the third base board. this will fit just after the signal box, and is interesting in that it is quite short, and it contains an under bridge for a stream. the next two pictures should give a hint of what I want it to look like when done

post-9949-0-90504300-1314560381_thumb.pngpost-9949-0-84302000-1314560418_thumb.png

The method of construction is the same apart from the sides and some of the top have been cut away, in an effort to increase strength, I have installed a 9mm ply base level with the base of the layout. also a 100mm strip has been added to the front of the layout, to give a little bit of extra scenery space. The whole structure is very strong, and resistant to flexing.

post-9949-0-40545400-1314561217_thumb.jpgpost-9949-0-44618300-1314561307_thumb.jpg

The next step is to fit the dowels to the new board, and then construct the next two. hopefully will get at least started on that tomorrow.

post-9949-0-54171100-1314561389_thumb.jpgpost-9949-0-43436300-1314561471_thumb.jpg

ps treggyman I have figured it out :)

I have had some time spare today, and so have been working on the third base board. this will fit just after the signal box, and is interesting in that it is quite short, and it contains an under bridge for a stream. the next two pictures should give a hint of what I want it to look like when done

post-9949-0-90504300-1314560381_thumb.pngpost-9949-0-84302000-1314560418_thumb.png

The method of construction is the same apart from the sides and some of the top have been cut away, in an effort to increase strength, I have installed a 9mm ply base level with the base of the layout. also a 100mm strip has been added to the front of the layout, to give a little bit of extra scenery space. The whole structure is very strong, and resistant to flexing.

post-9949-0-40545400-1314561217_thumb.jpgpost-9949-0-44618300-1314561307_thumb.jpg

The next step is to fit the dowels to the new board, and then construct the next two. hopefully will get at least started on that tomorrow.

post-9949-0-54171100-1314561389_thumb.jpgpost-9949-0-43436300-1314561471_thumb.jpg

ps treggyman I have figured it out :)

Hi,

good to see some progress,its looking good,

Also I'm glad you've figured whatever it is out!!!!

Bill

Well today I managed to build the last remaining base boards (4 and 5).

post-9949-0-07317400-1314651100_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-35025700-1314651163_thumb.jpg

same method as befor, however I got to try out my new toy

post-9949-0-62143400-1314651003_thumb.jpg

having fitted the dowls that align them togerher, i lined them all up to draw the track plan on and realized just how long 10 foot 6 is!

post-9949-0-08827300-1314651234_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-92056400-1314651891_thumb.jpg

mudmagnet, thanks for the comment about the 50, Hornby 50's are excellent models, and I an very pleased with the weathering, also yes the plywood is (all 9mm thick) stuck together with pva and pins (the pins clamp it whilst the glue drys)

next thing is to get some track, and start building some more points!

Hi

Brilliant to see your progress on the new boards. I bet it made a big difference having that table saw! The bridge looks like a great scenic feature, and I look forward to seeing it come along!

Regards

Lee :)

Not too much progress on the layout recently, although there is a package that should arrive soon from C+L which should mean I can get on with making some more points :)

On a side note I have completed putting in a loop and a siding, on my sons layout. Which he loves, taking pride of place in the living room.

post-9949-0-98293200-1315777908_thumb.jpg

post-9949-0-51280400-1315778021_thumb.jpg

My wife noticed that he had built a wall out of Megablocks over half of it and congratulated him on his "bridge", He looked surprised, I looked at it and realized it was the back-scene, oh to be young again! He had also taken a piece of track from the shed and was driving trucks onto it and then lifting the whole lot off, just like cassettes at exhibitions.

• 3 weeks later...

After a long while I have finally laid all the track on the next board, including making three turnouts, and tested it, for electrical isolation and that stock being pushed through doesn't derail. pictures to follow. I am on holiday next week so hopefully this will start to move along a bit, watch this space.

After a long while I have finally laid all the track on the next board, including making three turnouts, and tested it, for electrical isolation and that stock being pushed through doesn't derail. pictures to follow. I am on holiday next week so hopefully this will start to move along a bit, watch this space.

Hi

Glad to see you're making progress....

well I will be when the pics arrive!!!!

Look forward to the pictures

Ok, so after a trip to kernow to get a couple of switches, I have finished the wiring of the new board, and the control panel. It has all been tested, and all worked fine.

post-9949-0-58429000-1317938042_thumb.jpgpost-9949-0-10240900-1317938148_thumb.jpg

I have used plenty of cable ties to tidy up the wiring.

post-9949-0-74120400-1317938281_thumb.jpg

this bit provided a challenge as its only 9cm by 26cm and 10cm deep!

The next job is to build a temporary fiddle yard, so I can actualy run trains (from somewhere to somewhere) althought I might make the bridge and sea wall bit next.

post-9949-0-28593200-1317938580_thumb.jpg

i love your son's layout i think everyone including the strictest rivet counter would love to let go and have something like that again :)

I love playing with my son's Brio set. Theres just something about lying on the food just playing trains. My wife says it is something to do with the fact that it always 'works' first time and doesn't require hours of swearing/soldering/glueing just to get something running

But returning to topic I've been following this for a while and very impressed, seems to capture that elusive atmosphere. Look forward to seeing the seawall develop. Love the weathering too!

I love playing with my son's Brio set. Theres just something about lying on the food just playing trains. My wife says it is something to do with the fact that it always 'works' first time and doesn't require hours of swearing/soldering/glueing just to get something running

I can understand that, Brio is awesome

post-9949-0-01995900-1317979254_thumb.jpg

I am just a big kid

That's coming along nicely.

About your roof. How about doing it with card? There's a gentleman on here (his name escapes me at the moment) doing Laira in N gauge and that has a very complex roof which he's managed to reproduce very well with card. Worth a try perhaps.

That's coming along nicely.

About your roof. How about doing it with card? There's a gentleman on here (his name escapes me at the moment) doing Laira in N gauge and that has a very complex roof which he's managed to reproduce very well with card. Worth a try perhaps.

Vac_basher although the roof is not perfect, I'm happy living with it for the moment.

this evening I made a start on the cassettes which I intend to use on Penmouth. Starting from scratch is a double ended sword, I cannot set the height of the deck on the fiddle yard until I have made some cassettes, but am unsure if the design I've used will be durable enough, time will tell I guess. The original design was to use two by one, cut to varying lengths, with short cassettes for locos, so I would not have to keep re-railing locos every time I wanted to switch a train around, and longer cassettes for the other stock, this design needed to carry the current across cassettes, so a loco could drive from the layout through a cassettes and on to another. I had a brief experiment with dowels, but decided to use brass tube instead. the rail is held in place with a copper clad sleeper glued to the wood, and two alignment dowels soldered to the same piece of copper clad. If this fails I might just use set track, but I hope this will work well. voltage drop doesn't seem to be a problem across two cassettes so the next job will be building the fiddle yard.

treggyman, unfortunately the solder tip you gave me doesn't fit, too big, so I'm still using my short soldering iron, but thanks anyway

post-9949-0-73476200-1318366374_thumb.jpg

Hi B954673

The only problem that I can foresee is that if the brass 'plug' becomes a loose fit in the tube socket with use,in time you will get a break in your electrical connection.

If you could incorporate some form of spring to ensure a permanently good contact it might work better for longer.

I had this problem with my roundy/roundy layout where I used a length of approx 4mm diameter brass rod in brass tube to act as alignment & electrical contact between the layout & the sector plate & I had to set the rod & tube at a slight angle to each other to ensure a good friction contact.

Shame about the iron tip.

Cheers Treggyman

After extensive "testing" I discovered that another isolating section was needed, (so a train could be held in the depot entrance whilst another train can leave from one of the two front platforms) this has been done, and also whilst the soldering iron was hot I finally got round to wiring up the other controller (gaugemaster hand-held) and the important bit, switched over the polarity of the output so trains travel in the direction indicated! (this will take some getting used to!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived