Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Automating N gauge couplings

Hi all, a question to you...

I'm contemplating using the standard N gauge coupling for my new stock, but I've found the following product which can automate the Peco 'elsie' version of the design: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/22118/NR103_Peco_N_Gauge_Coupling_Lift_Arms

Does anyone have any experience of using these? I've tried them with a Greenwich magnet and have had mixed success. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has any hints or tips.

I know about the various N gauge couplings such as Greenwich, DG and Kaydee/Minitrains but i'm interested in this specific method, so please don't point me that way wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

They're designed to work with the PL-25 electromagnets. These are pretty unobtrusive and easy to set up. As to their reliability, I've been trying to get them to work with OO stock so can't speak for them working with N. The field seems a little weak though so I suspect you would have to get the wagons perfectly aligned over the top to trigger them.

• RMweb Premium

I tried them a long time ago so my memories are a little hazy but I don't remember them being to successful. They would not always lift the coupling high enough to work. This coupling does not work with the Farish (never tried with Dapol) the springs used are too strong for the uncoupler to work. The wagon attachments do need protection from rust. I never played with them very much so can't give you any hints as to getting them working.

I wouldn't bother.

Yes you can make them work (but the Gaugemaster version is better) however it needs a lot of fiddling with non Peco couplings and you've got no chance of making it work with most of the NEM ones.

It's actually easier to knock up a small mechanical uncoupling arm through the baseboard from a bit of wood or plasticard than spend forever fidding with all the stock. Several of the continental manufacturers also make electromechanical arms which work far better, or you can use a different better coupler system.

Alan

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know they're not the best liked coupling system in the world, but I've found them to be quite reliable, and when on 009 stock they don't look too bad either, quite unobtrusive in fact.

I'm not after using them with NEM couplings as the chassis i'll be using for my stock will mostly be old second hand ones or the peco van chassis kits.

Are the gaugemaster ones more reliable? What makes them better?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know they're not the best liked coupling system in the world, but I've found them to be quite reliable, and when on 009 stock they don't look too bad either, quite unobtrusive in fact.

I'm not after using them with NEM couplings as the chassis i'll be using for my stock will mostly be old second hand ones or the peco van chassis kits.

Are the gaugemaster ones more reliable? What makes them better?

The magnets on the lifting arm bits are stronger and also seem to draw less current and get hotter more slowly. The lift arms are also a bit thinner.

The best lift arms are IMHO bits of bent soft iron wire from a florist with a small hole drilled into the coupler and the wire curved back under the wagon.

They seem to work okay on my club layout; Basingstoke, for those who have fitted them to a few items of stock. But they work best with the Peco Elsie type of Rapido coupler which do not have springs. The springs of the more bog standard Rapidos, used on old Farish and Dapol stock, can cause resistance. They can also be fiddly to set up but once done will uncouple okay. Some people have used bent track pins inserted in a small hole drilled in the coupler rather than the Peco etched bit that you bend the dropper around a coin and glue to the underside of the coupler.

The best thing is that they are inexpensive and utilise the fitted coupler. Therefore give them a try and see what you think. They may work well for you or you may find them impossible to get on with but it won't have set you back lots of dosh or hacked stock.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived