Images from the S.E. States RPM Meet

modelmaker87

Hi Guys,

Some of you know but many don't, I'm the organiser of the South East Prototype Modellers Meet. This year was the third and I offer a series of photos of models that the guys came along and proudly displayed. One thing that was cool was that Craig Zeni and I met for the first time, and btw, he makes some nice models. I usually have a rule that images are kept to two per modeller, but as Craig is known by many of you here at RMWeb, I did a few more of his models.

Anyhow, enjoy. First up is Ken Rickman working away at his demo table soldering a loco tender together.

post-6847-058393800 1285769924_thumb.jpg

David Ward's passion for the prototype is seen here in this image of his live loads. He NEVER uses anything else on his layout, well, ya gotta remember he's a prototype modeler and that's how the prototype does it.

post-6847-052734100 1285770004_thumb.jpg

Frank Baginski models whatever takes his fancy. This year he brought along freight cars loaded up with his scratch building skills. This baby doll has all the wood and packing supporting this load correctly. The load is not scratch. Frank is an incredible modeller, last year he brought along a scratchbuilt caboose comprising over 270 individual components.

post-6847-034842300 1285770112_thumb.jpg

Last but not least this post is the first car that Craig brought along. One of I asked him to select for the photographs. Nice stuff, as you can see.

post-6847-058615700 1285770194_thumb.jpg

Craig also adds detail to the underside too.

post-6847-062700400 1285770222_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Here's a handful more.

Enjoy, Cheers, Tony

This year we enjoyed the company of Nick & Nora Designs, great folk and this is one of their kit offerings. # ST009.

post-6847-060255000 1285786043_thumb.jpg

Closer in.

post-6847-073737600 1285786071_thumb.jpg

The other side - closer in.

post-6847-057563300 1285786087_thumb.jpg

Overall view of Nick & Nora Designs Crown Hotel Kit #ST008.

post-6847-083856600 1285786182_thumb.jpg

David Ward's passion for the prototype is seen here in this image of his live loads. He NEVER uses anything else on his layout, well, ya gotta remember he's a prototype modeler and that's how the prototype does it.

Sorry if its a dumb question, but what's a live load?

Craig's boxcar looks great. Is that a cushion underframe?

Thanks for posting the pics

Hi John,

Live loads are not plastic or dummy loads of any kind. What David does is crush coal, ballast, iron ore or whatever to scale size and pours it into his gondolas etc. He doesn't use dummy bottoms either, each car is fully loaded. His trains are approximately 2.5Kg's a piece in weight without the power. To run a coal train up the hill on his layout you have to use distributed power otherwise two Kato 6 axles will slip and the train will stall.

When I heard about live loads for the first time I thought, yeah right...!! Now I am a true convert, the difference is incredible and the way the locomotives function is far closer to prototype hauling so much mass. If you hang your hat on the concept of prototype modelling then its the ONLY way to go. When a derailment occurs it causes a mess but at the same time it also shuts down the model railroad, again like the prototype. So call for Hulcher Rail Services (the hoover :P :P ) and then all hell breaks loose trying to catch up, again, just like the prototype.

I'll leave Craig to answer your cushion underframe question, It sure looks like it.

Cheers, Tony

Here's some more images.

More images

James Wall makes a decent model of this passenger car. Its been around a bit looking at those chips on the roof...!!

post-6847-097602200 1285795320_thumb.jpg

Another of Craig Zeni's models. Nice or what..?

post-6847-067753400 1285795424_thumb.jpg

Next in line is yet another of Craig's models - More nice or what..?

post-6847-064819600 1285795466_thumb.jpg

Steve Coffman, a Master structure builder. This and the following couple of images tell the tale.

post-6847-077816800 1285795520_thumb.jpg

Other than Craig and I along with all those that attended our RPM meet its a shame you could not have seen inside one of Steve Coffman's models, they look something like this. Best to have a magnifying glass handy.

post-6847-099071800 1285795543_thumb.jpg

The dime sez it all, doesn't it..?

post-6847-046721500 1285795675_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony

John, Thinking about my reply to you. Many of us use real coal and ballast and I don't think I was clear. So just in case, David's lIve loads are not glued in as is the customary way of doing things he uses a funnel and pours away.

Cheers, Tony

A few more.

Dontcha just love Frank Baginski's detailing skills.

post-6847-052432000 1285804649_thumb.jpg

Bob Harpe is a fine modeler and it shows with this SD35 in SOU tux livery.

post-6847-012344100 1285804748_thumb.jpg

Stan McAdoo arrived and put just about the whole roster of locomotives that are owned by Norfolk Southern on a display table. he chose this SD70M as one of his two choices for the web images. Another rolls up later in the line up.

post-6847-077445000 1285804793_thumb.jpg

My turn now. I built this for the upcoming SRHA 'Gathering' in Stearns, KY. this October 2010. The subject of a clinic presentation. Some like their cars clean, others like 'em tagged. I might do this clinic here on RMWeb.

post-6847-082987000 1285804873_thumb.jpg

A miniature copy of an old car that hung about in NS North Western Yard in Winston Salem, NC for a long long time. Made a change to build this bad boy.

post-6847-082228400 1285804936_thumb.jpg

David Ward agreed to be one of our hands-on teach-in demonstrators this year. Boy did he capitalize in that role. He churned out load after load for his layout's slab train. This was one of probably 40 or 50 loads of various types and sizes he made and yes, its solid steel.

post-6847-088125000 1285804983_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Glad you asked that first, Jon... :blink: :D

I love this tendency that our Across-the-Pond Brethren have, too...

a scratchbuilt caboose comprising over 270 individual components

I don't think I've ever counted the amount of parts any of my models have got, or amount of detail bits I've added!! I did enjoy once seeing something along these lines in one of those "Murphy's Laws of Model Railroading" type lists;

"A kit that says it has 257 parts, will actually have either 248, or 263 parts, just for fun..."

:D :D :D

Another day more photos.

Modeler Todd Arnett distracted by Woman...??

post-6847-097473300 1285842521_thumb.jpg

A piece of unfinished trackwork I'm in the middle of putting together for a good friend.

post-6847-024101500 1285842596_thumb.jpg

That Frank Baginski again.

post-6847-017309100 1285842672_thumb.jpg

The other side.

post-6847-020352400 1285842703_thumb.jpg

That other SD70M by Stan McAdoo. This too is equally as tasty as his NS model.

post-6847-053765600 1285842765_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Cracking stuff there Tone

Yeah, there are some good modellers out there for sure. There was probably 10 times the models I took images of, all good. It was difficult to pick out the best couple from everyones display tables so I asked the guys to select what models they were happy to have up on the net themselves. That way no moans or complaints.

Cheers, Tone

If you hang your hat on the concept of prototype modelling then its the ONLY way to go. When a derailment occurs it causes a mess but at the same time it also shuts down the model railroad, again like the prototype. So call for Hulcher Rail Services and then all hell breaks loose trying to catch up, again, just like the prototype.

Pretty much if you REALLY want to be prototype, if you derail a couple cars on the main track, just send all the road crews home the session is over for them.

Based on about 30 years of experience, it will take a half hour or so from the time the train goes in emergency to when Hulcher is called. It will take them 2-3 hours to get there (unless the derailment happens right next to a Hulcher yard). A half hour to set up and then be workwise. Figure a half hour per car to rerail, then a half hour per car length to repair track and a half hour or so to clean everything up. So minimally that 2 car derailment will burn up about 5 1/2 hours to clean up. If the car was derailed and drug for any distance you can double that time.

So if you wanna be prototypical, if your derailment happens with less than 6 hours left in the session, just tell all the operators to tie the road trains down, thank them for coming and send them home. They're done. If you are being prototypical. 8-)

LOL - and don't forget to drug test the engineer, you can never be too careful... :P

I guess the other thing with live loads, you would pay a *lot* more attention to sorting out those minor car faults and minor track faults that sometimes conspire to give you minor derailments...

Seriously - great modelling though, some really inspirational stuff.

Tony, Have you ever done any tutorials on track building? I'd like to know how you wired that Switch/Crossing for a start. I'm a naif at building track but want to learn (as much as possible).

Btw was the meet at the old Greensboro Southern Depot?

Best, Pete.

Pretty much if you REALLY want to be prototype, if you derail a couple cars on the main track, just send all the road crews home the session is over for them.

Based on about 30 years of experience,

So if you wanna be prototypical, if your derailment happens with less than 6 hours left in the session, just tell all the operators to tie the road trains down, thank them for coming and send them home. They're done. If you are being prototypical. 8-)

David H, :D :D :D :D Chuckling here Dave. But really, the ops session does stop until its cleared up. The fast clock ticks away and time flys past and the hours are used up. Probably not 6 scale hours, not having the experience that you obviously have, which btw, is really appreciated, I think all of us reading this thread learned something there. Thanks.

Martin R, You are spot on there ref the wheels and track and that's a good thing rather than bad. But the additional weight also helps the cars to run better than when they are lighter in weight without any wheel adjustment or track work done.

Pete, Yes, I have done them for the SRHA 'Gathering'. The NMRA CSD (Carolina Southern Division. For Jim Six up at the Lake Region RPM meet, and an online clinic for Rick Bell (DCC installs) The clinic material is still in the files of his yahoogroup. He has guest presenters all the time covering a variety of subjects. The custom stuff I do is all based on building P4 trackwork which I have been doing since the mid 70's using the old Brook-Smith of 2 rivets in each wood tie method. Things have moved on since then. All my own turnouts are handbuilt where you can view them, those off scene I use Shinohara but convert them with longer check/guard rails and close in the NMRA standard clearance down form 050" to 045". Makes them look finer without going all the way with P:87.

The meet was at the Amtrak depot in Greensboro, yes. Greensboro City Council refurbished the whole place three years ago and now its like walking back into the 50's. As you could see the wood is all polished, the signs redone, note that pic of Todd Arnett leaning up against the wall there. The floor is all marble, chandeliers, really, the whole enchilada. Plus the NS main line is right there.

Barry, I know you are a SOU fan, read your threads elsewhere. Pleased you enjoyed the pix, more to post later today during beer 30.

Cheers all, Tony

Pete, Yes, I have done them for the SRHA 'Gathering'. The NMRA CSD (Carolina Southern Division. For Jim Six up at the Lake Region RPM meet, and an online clinic for Rick Bell (DCC installs) The clinic material is still in the files of his yahoogroup. He has guest presenters all the time covering a variety of subjects. The custom stuff I do is all based on building P4 trackwork which I have been doing since the mid 70's using the old Brook-Smith of 2 rivets in each wood tie method. Things have moved on since then. All my own turnouts are handbuilt where you can view them, those off scene I use Shinohara but convert them with longer check/guard rails and close in the NMRA standard clearance down form 050" to 045". Makes them look finer without going all the way with P:87.

The meet was at the Amtrak depot in Greensboro, yes. Greensboro City Council refurbished the whole place three years ago and now its like walking back into the 50's. As you could see the wood is all polished, the signs redone, note that pic of Todd Arnett leaning up against the wall there. The floor is all marble, chandeliers, really, the whole enchilada. Plus the NS main line is right there.

Cheers all, Tony

Tony,

When I lived there in the nineties the Amtrak "depot" was a small hut in the middle of fricking nowhere - particularly when I had to go there and pick my Wife up from the Crescent - which was running late - at 1:00am.......

Is that old model shop near the depot still there? Blumenthals, the clothing store? I think that was the name.......course the famous Woolworths was still open back then too.

Best, Pete.

Jon,

Thanks for the kind words...yes, that's a cushion underframe, Keystone type. The one thing I haven't been putting on my models are the brake hoses - they have been too delicate. But with the Hi Tech flexible rubber hoses I've started using them. They look great and don't break off in handling.

Another upload.

It happens in the big world so it happens on one or two of David Ward's locomotive fleet.

post-6847-005652200 1285883299_thumb.jpg

Bob Harpe displayed I believe some eight Southern engines and this one was the subject of his clinic presentation and nice it is.

post-6847-071446000 1285883369_thumb.jpg

James Wall built this CN jobbie and it looked very nice indeed.

post-6847-079571500 1285883414_thumb.jpg

One more from Craig that he selected from his display collection he kindly brought along to the meet.

post-6847-019699300 1285883487_thumb.jpg

David Ward diligently keeping to his commitment. Demonstrating and explaining to anyone who wanted to sit in front of him and see what he was doing and how he did it. I think David was just about the busiest person both days.

post-6847-044893300 1285883547_thumb.jpg

Fenton asked me to caption this image 'SOU41504 Mt Vernon 1944 & rebuilt'. So there you have it. Unfortunately Fenton had taken his models away with him when we were doing the photographs of all the display models so this photo he shot for this gallery.

post-6847-058266700 1285883621_thumb.jpg

And that about takes care of all the images. Thanks for looking guys.

Cheers, Tony

Archived