dynamis and reversing loops

hi all.

having read alot of dynamis bad press.... i wish i had seen it b4 buying but you know how it goes. i havnt had many issues to date with it except accecpting that the controller isnt walk about and fitting a lamp inline to help with shorting on points.

to the point of this post. im relaying my layout and have incorporated a reversing loop. having read many posts about the dynamis and the relay control not being quick enough and the cost of solid state has anyone tried the NCE unit from bromsgrove models as it appears to do what we want?

jon

http://www.bromsgrov...?categoryId=105

This Auto Reversing Unit is compatible with all DCC systems from one to 10 amps. It does not rely on short-circuit detection but unique "trigger" gaps in the track which allow the automatic reversal of track polarity.

i havnt had many issues to date with it except accecpting that the controller isnt walk about and fitting a lamp inline to help with shorting on points.

Shorting on points has nothing whatsoever to do with the DCC system being used, so it's rather unfair to lay the blame at the door of the Dynamis or any other system.

The end of your post seems to have turned to to Greek or double Dutch. :blink:

If possible, could you edit it so that we can see what it says? Thanks. :good_mini:

sorry about that! what i am after is a reversing type module that works with my dynamis setup so that i can run diagonaly across my runing loop and be entered from either end!

regarding the points issue i realise its to do with the back to back wheel dimentions on some of my older stock and the set track point geometry but given those factors a 21w lamp in the feed lime has sorted the issue mostly.

jon

• 1 month later...

From what I've read - Tony's Train Exchange PSX look like the state of the art wrt auto reversers/ECB's. Whether this is still too quick for the Dynamis is another thing. However powering the whole layout from one PSX and the reversing loop from another may hide the short from the Dynamis. You could also try the light bulb method of limiting short circuit current in the layout and using an auto reverser for the return loop.

Good Hunting.

Regards,

Greg

Without spending ages reading the manuals, the description of the unit on Bromsgrove's website suggests it works in a similar way to the automatic switching of "Wabbit/Hare" decoders for Tortoise motors. A short section of rail is not connected to track supply. This rail is connected to the new circuit. When the loco bridges from powered rail to disconnected rail, the circuit detects the loco being present and can act.

As such, it will work for an Auto-Reverser and does it without shorting so compatible with Dynamis. Though I think there are better methods. The problem is with small locos with only four or six wheels. If it has four wheels, then when on the sensor, there is only one wheel on that side with track pickup. In my experience, four wheeled locos need all four wheels on the track for reliable running.

Better method - use a track occupancy circuits at each end of the reversing loop. The indication of train presence from those circuits then changes the reverser to the appropriate direction (and can also work turnouts at the same time). Track occupancy detection is cheap and simple to achieve, be it based on track current, IR beam detectors or magnets and reed switches.

- Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

I have had two Tony's Train Exchange PSX units on two separate reverse loops working successfully with my Dynamis. I tried to use Hornby reverse loop modules with the Dynamis and they were far too slow (being relay based).

Also worth considering is that NCE are producing an electronic reverse loop module next year, weather this will be fast enough to work with a Dynamis will be interesting as the price my friend was quoted was about £22 ea

Jeff

hi all.

having read alot of dynamis bad press.... i wish i had seen it b4 buying but you know how it goes. i havnt had many issues to date with it except accecpting that the controller isnt walk about and fitting a lamp inline to help with shorting on points.

to the point of this post. im relaying my layout and have incorporated a reversing loop. having read many posts about the dynamis and the relay control not being quick enough and the cost of solid state has anyone tried the NCE unit from bromsgrove models as it appears to do what we want?

jon

http://www.bromsgrov...?categoryId=105

This Auto Reversing Unit is compatible with all DCC systems from one to 10 amps. It does not rely on short-circuit detection but unique "trigger" gaps in the track which allow the automatic reversal of track polarity.

If you read the information about availability you will see that it is not expected until February next year at the earliest (I suspect Easter might be a better estimate!) so nobody will have tried it yet, unless they are a beta tester.

The only auto-reverser that I know of which works successfully with the Dynamis is the PSX-AR from DCC Specialities.

• RMweb Premium

The LDT auto reverser also uses "gapped" sections to detect the loco:

http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/english/ksmsg_e.htm

Quote from LDT "The reversal polarity of the reverse-loop will be performed without short circuit due to 2 sensor-tracks which are located at the entrance and at the exit of the reverse-loop."

Keith

Archived