4mm Scale GWR Whistle Shields for a Bachmann Manor

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

As some of you may be aware having read my blog entry I'm about to start detailing two GWR Bachmann 78xx Manor Class locomotives. Here's the link below to my blog:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/531/entry-4845-to-the-gwr-manor-born/

I've eventually decided to model them in GWR post war green as 7802 'Bradley Manor' and 7807 'Compton Manor'.

I'm not doing too bad on sourcing most of the parts for this project, however the only supplier of whistle shields I've found so far is an etch from Comet with a tall and short shield. I've tried Markit's, David Geen, 247 Developments and Alan Gibson to no avail. Does anyone know of another supplier?

I've also posted another question re: GWR post war buffer beam red for all you GWR experts.

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I'm not doing too bad on sourcing most of the parts for this project, however the only supplier of whistle shields I've found so far is an etch from Comet with a tall and short shield.

Mark

Drat , one question I could have answered and you know it allready . dry.gif

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike,;)

I honestly can't believe this is the only source for 4mm scale whistle shields. If my memmory serves me right when GWR modelling was all the rage in the 80's you couldn't move for these things! :D

Well ok, slight exageration then!:lol:

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike,;)

I honestly can't believe this is the only source for 4mm scale whistle shields. If my memmory serves me right when GWR modelling was all the rage in the 80's you couldn't move for these things! :D

Mark

Springside ?

• RMweb Gold

Springside ?

Thanks Rob,

I'd forgotten about Springside. ;)

I've checked their site and there is nothing listed for whistle shields. Saying that again, I'm sure they used to do them in the alcyon days of GWR modelling! An order to Comet it is then.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Taz,

Thanks for the reply. Just had a look and like Craig, can't find any whistle sheilds.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob,

I'd forgotten about Springside. ;)

I've checked their site and there is nothing listed for whistle shields. Saying that again, I'm sure they used to do them in the alcyon days of GWR modelling! An order to Comet it is then.

Cheers,

Mark

Another forgotten range is Craftsman/Jackson Evans.Try ringing Mark Trip'e at Classic Trains in Leamington 01926 887499 and ask him if he knows of the range.

Thanks Mike,;)

Mark

That would be the K's casting - once easily obtainable, :( though maybe Nu-cast could help. An etch would be better though.

EDIT. replaced 'unobtainable' with 'obtainable' to make sense!

Guest dilbert

Try giving Dave Cleal (Mainly Trains) a call for availability, he used to stock what was classed as Westwood (I believe that this was supposed to be Westward) whistle shields... -missy- does raise an interesting point ; when MT was clearing stock a few years back, a whistle shield was going for 35p each, for essentially a simple cut out of brass sheet and a couple of bends

on the flip side, I do miss MTs massive stock of bits 'n pieces - MTs was very convenient as a single point of contact for a diverse range of "goodies"... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Hi Missy,

This is a good point and I could investigate a scratch built approach but would need some dimensions to work with. I haven't worked with brass much before like your goodself. The GWR railcar is coming on nicely by the way-I'm looking forwards to further updates.;)

Thanks as well Dilbert. Yes it's worth a try. I'll ring him on his next office based day.

Cheers,

Archived