Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I stumbled upon this earlier, while looking for something completely different.

I always particularly liked this song.

That's my old mate Robbie Gladwell aka Dr. Robert playing guitar on the left (and playing the solo). He used to work on my guitars in the UK. Another great guy!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

When you're train watching in strong sunlight, with temperatures in the high 80s Fahrenheit, and no trees or buildings near the tracks, you make use of any shade available:

post-1771-0-12233700-1382464058.jpg

and I am serious - I was using the pole to shade the back of my neck.

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When you're train watching in strong sunlight, with temperatures in the high 80s Fahrenheit, and no trees or buildings near the tracks, you make use of any shade available:

attachicon.gif1-IMG_3486.JPG

and I am serious - I was using the pole to shade the back of my neck.

Very sensible, but why do you appear to be wearing a skirt?

Regards

Richard

Afternoon all...................................

......................................Unfortunately, since the 70s, we have had the rise of incompetence and mediocrity as acceptable work traits provided you can "talk the talk", combine it with the "me first" culture and political correctness and should we not wonder - as the poet put it - "and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born"

iD

I was unfamiliar with the quotation so here is the thought provoking poem in its entirety, for those who are interested:-

The Second Coming

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you do Pete avoid the one at Three Cocks Junction (site of) - the food there was abysmal!

Some good eateries in the vicinity of Three Cocks......why bother with garden centres? Spoiled for choice in Hay-on-Wye but the best in the area is back down the A470 towards Brecon.....The Felinfach Griffin.

Couch potato ATM...gave up on culture evening watching Hamlet. Filthy wet again......besides my wife needed to watch final of The Bake-Off.......from the sublime to the.......Actually--not true,I am a closet Bake Off junkie,too.

From the sublime Yeats to the ridiculous.

Which two of you trainspotters were responsible for this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-24623976

http://www.btp.presscentre.com/Media-Releases/CCTV-images-released-after-sex-act-in-lift-Shrewsbury-2418.aspx

Or maybe not........

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From the sublime Yeats to the ridiculous.

Which two of you trainspotters were responsible for this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-24623976

http://www.btp.presscentre.com/Media-Releases/CCTV-images-released-after-sex-act-in-lift-Shrewsbury-2418.aspx

Or maybe not........

Best, Pete.

Blow me, can't a couple get a minute's peace & quiet anywhere nowadays?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting poem ID and Ash. The is definitely something awry. It is often said that Art leads where the rest follow and much of what is lauded as art today is just a mere idea paraded with no particular skills. Stardom and Celebrity has become a goal in its own right with no attempt to earn the status. My last years in business were peppered with people trotting out hackneyed phrases. I got rather frowned on by asking how someone dealt with insoluble opportunites. As a project manager my bosses were always interested in meeting projects dates it was ok to install something that wasn't going to work as long as you met dates. My attitude that I would prefer to let a date slip while something was put right and that an on time project that didn't deliver was really chocolate teapot territory, was definitely out of step.

Don

Late on parade!

My day was all planned out. Early start, and off to Le Mans to get my hair cut, then to Social Services to register my Form S1, which means from 12th November all my healthcare costs are taken care of by UK plc. [Actually it's only 70%, but it's the bit the State pays for in France, saving me about £2k p.a..] So by 8.50-ish I was ready to leave. One cat had failed to appear for supper, and again for breakfast. Sadly as I got to the gateway I found out why - a large furry mess in the road. So fetched a shovel and a bag and put her in the bin. No fun!

Poor cat :( sorry for your loss.

We pay through the nose here for local Govt (and every other sort of Govt as well come to that) and our flu jabs are free although we have to pre-book - however some of the admin and records recording seem to totally defeat our current GP's office non-system!

Edit to add PS - Garden design lady duly visited and some worthwhile proposals for planting but even better she recommended we go to the 'Root One' (honest!) garden centre just the other side of Wallingford - which is great as it has one of the best garden centre (or anything else) cafes I've ever come across with top notch breakfasts, well worth the expenditure of diesel to get there.

I never seem to need to pre-book. My GP usually asks me if I've had it then jabs me there and then. Saves me a lot of hassle too. Hopefully hen I find a ne GP having moved they'll be as good...

The people who do the work in our district seem to do a good job. Can't say I'm impressed with their political overlords/ladies/persons though. 

I will be joining the queue for my flu jab on Saturday. I "qualified" for a NHS flu jab years ago due to a dodgy immune system. The first one I had years ago I was in the queue behind some older chap who was berating a young woman for "taking something meant for the old folks". I (very politely) suggested that he should leave her alone and pick on me instead. He shut up. Now at least I'm in the looks old anyway group! Though I must admit I usually seem to be a group of jolly people in recent years.

Sadly some assume it is just for the old, when it never as been. It's always been for people who are vunerable to it. From things like athma, to immune disease, to cancer to old age. So really it can be given for most age groups if they've a condition that needs it. Besides, the doctor decides not a man in a queue!

That was Terry's version. What did his wife say?

Strangely she wasn't on stage, or at the Convention to say... but I believe there is some truth behind it lowering blood pressure, quite ho much I cannot say as I don't drink so pay no further interest.

• Like 1

Blow me

You're definitely barking up the wrong tree with me!

Do you think the large signal box inspired them?

I think the act is illegal in Wales and the trains were faster to Shrewsbury...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Morning All,

Sorry to hear about Ian's cat.  It seems to happen all too often - the poor beasts have reasonable road sense, but it doesn't always work out.

It is a wet morning here, and unseasonably mild.  It also looks like it is going to be a day of meetings.  Oh goodie :(

Have a good one everybody...

Blow, blow thou Summer wind, thou art not so unkind as Cape Town's bl00dy South Easter which continues to blow for the second week at 30 kph. But we do have sunshine thyough not very warm at 21C max today!

Otherwise all is well.

Morning all, 

Hot n humid here,  terrific thunder-storm last evening, but unusually didnt kill the 'net. !  The training course I ran yesterday was so successful, I've been asked to do more......groan!  

Meetings this morning, then with any luck I can escape to site this pm...

Try and stay dry & be good,

Trev.  

Unfortunately (depending on your viewpoint) the camera's are facing touristy sites, er, like Manhattan....

If they turned them the other way to the right we would see the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and all the big container ships and large TransAtlantic Ro-Ro's heading for the Port.

Best, Pete.

You need to get up there with a mirror, Pete! :)

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Woke up much earlier than I wanted due to stomach apparently disagreeing with last night's dinner. Oh well... More cloudy right now than it's been yesterday, but still rather balmy.

Sorry to hear about your cat, Ian  :(  . Always deflating when you see the results of such accidents...