The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well, Gruff Towers was a typical Saturday night feast...SWMBO had a shop bought risotto whilst I made a little seafood paella (yes honestly, it was little, only 70gms of bomba rice and 175gm of prawn, mussels and squid + green chillies, ginger, spring onions, mushrooms, onion and garlic). A little wine washed it down and now I am being summoned to sit with Madam Gruff for SCD, I may miss the rest of the evening.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Busy day here at Collie-Towers: dogs beach-walked (early doors), car hand-washed, engine oil and filter changed, diesel-fuel and air-filter renewed, two loads of laundry washed and a chicken pie and mash supper, prepared..........but sadly; plans for some loco-modelling time had to be put-aside..........There`s always tomorrow! :drag:

As they used to say: "A woman`s work is never done!" :nomention:

Especially when a man is doing it....... go on ask me how I know dare you. :triniti:

• RMweb Gold

It's all gone quiet on Wearside…. :yahoo:

It's all been quiet on Wearside for a while now.

It's true what they say though - when you are at the bottom things never go your way.

Went up town for Christmas shopping.  My sister doesn't know it yet but she getting me Private Owners vol 12 (the Ian Allen staff sealed the plastic bag) and my step grand nephew (or is that grand step nephew (see later)) is getting a Lego train set.  Had a superb pint of mild in The Old Coffee House in Beak Street (a new venue, I'll be back).  Ended up in the Christmas Market on the Southbank.  Basically disappointing, the overpriced Glühwein was drinkable, the Currywurst was dire, the big problem was that the goods on sale were actually too good and therefore too expensive.  Really a Christmas market should be selling stocking filler tat.

So stopped off at Lidl and purchased a large bottle of Glühwein for about the same price as the Southbank thimble.  Seem to have drunk most of it so must head to bed.  Blame the alcohol if this post makes less sense than usual.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

How did it go? :locomotive:

Choo. Chooooooooooooooo. :locomotive:

Chuffed, thanks.  

T9, N Class and Class 22 sound chipped for the exhibition but no chips for the operators.  :cry:   Plenty of curry, rice, potato, beans and lots n lots of cake and mince pies and teas flowing all day, though.

Santa even made an appearance in his grounded grotto.

post-14049-0-40031900-1386452058.jpg

post-14049-0-34253000-1386452115.jpg

More pix to come on Camel Quay thread later.

Polly

• Like 9

I made a whistle stop at the Show (about ten minutes) and saw Mr Polly in deep conversation (and acting as the hand of God) and a young lady entertaining the masses.

I especially liked Santa's Grotto.

Good little Show.

Most outstanding for me (present company excepted) was a large "O" tinplate layout which had about eight locos running at the same time - first time I'd seen it.

I won some cufflinks in the raffle and a book which I gave back rather than carry it around.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We had an unplanned visit to see MiL this afternoon. Aditi decided we should just pop over as we haven't seen her Mum for a couple of weeks. So we found some frozen pizza and some potatoes and set off. I sorted out her answerphone and re-hung some paintings (no-one else in the family is tall enough!). I declined the invitation to find out why the burglar alarm now has a flashing green light. I suspect the backup battery but without a full manual I wasn't prepared to irritate half of Enfield setting it off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I made a whistle stop at the Show (about ten minutes) and saw Mr Polly in deep conversation (and acting as the hand of God) and a young lady entertaining the masses.

I especially liked Santa's Grotto.

Good little Show.

Most outstanding for me (present company excepted) was a large "O" tinplate layout which had about eight locos running at the same time - first time I'd seen it.

I won some cufflinks in the raffle and a book which I gave back rather than carry it around.

Great to see you were there.  Just whisper DD next time and we'll know who you are  :D  though I'd like to know who that young lady is.  :mosking:

Last time I looked the accomplice was decked with a pair of these:

post-14049-0-35456800-1386458328.jpg

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And before I retire up the apple and pears, here's the Station Master keeping an eye on his strawberries.

They won't ripen any quicker, you know, and the trains have been managing all day on their own, too. :mosking:
post-14049-0-81853500-1386458858.jpg

• Like 6

We had a visit from one of these last night. Sounds of things being knocked over wakened us up, but it wasn't on the deck at the back door, so we left it to do what it wanted and went back to bed. 

In the morning, there were large paw prints in the frost on the back lawn, bins knocked over, and garbage pulled out of them. (We should have had the bear-proof clips on them, but we thought the bears should have been hibernating by now.) What struck me about the mess it had made was the evidence of its sense of smell. It had knocked over and raked through the composting and the general garbage bins, but had left the recycling bin alone. And it had found and emptied, in the dark, the bird feeder hung on a branch of a bush.

It's an upgrade to the class of animals raking through our bins. We used to just have raccoons, but they haven't been around since the coyotes moved into the neighbourhood! 

• Like 2

I seem to be building an MO of popping into shows.

I was lucky to get ten minutes there yesterday - but I did send some other folk too.

The problem is, if I say hello to one person, I have to say hello to all - I do business with one or two.

Good morning folks,   quite lot planned for today (apart from the normal catch-up of paper work),  Fish & Chips at the Sheraton, hair cut, then this evening going to a local church for a service of "Nine Lessons & Carols" .  My house girl is in one of the choirs....so best go! 

What ever you're up to today, remember to try and find something to smile at.

Trev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Much warmer and drier this morning.

No animal incursions in our garden overnight to the best of my knowledge. We have bin bags here but keep them in the traditional style of metal bin to prevent foxes, badgers, cats or magpies opening them up. Though if badgers really want something they knock it over.

Tony

• Like 1

Though if badgers really want something they knock it over.

Mightn`t they be said to 'Brock' it over? :jester:

`Remember seeing the country-house lawns that a family of badgers had totally rooted-up; they clearly can be a real problem!

• Like 2

Mightn`t they be said to 'Brock' it over? :jester:

`Remember seeing the country-house lawns that a family of badgers had totally rooted-up; they clearly can be a real problem!

I suppose that 16 million worms in a lawn might be an attraction.

Not sure that slaughtering badgers is an answer to TB in cattle though.

Perhaps the presence of insects in cattle droppings is a clue to how it spreads.

At the same time, farming neighbours have been shooting them for years unofficially.

Unfortunately, it's another example of incompatibility and the species which doesn't make a profit is likely to be the loser.

Sorry - not the usual ERs content.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

relatively mild here but dull and overcast

Off to play trains soon - busy finishing(!) getting my new workroom ready yesterday and watching SAFC beat themselves again!!  

Have a good Sunday and don't work too hard any of you....

Barry O

PS Pete still waiting for your plane to collect me from LBIA!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the presence of insects in cattle droppings is a clue to how it spreads.

At the same time, farming neighbours have been shooting them for years unofficially.

Why would farming neighbours want to shoot cattle droppings

.......PULL ......

Does anyone know what the usual ER content actually is?

Edited by BoD