Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

.... Its no wonder people take the p*ss out of those that like railways. Its these morons that give all enthusiasts a bad name.

I haven't been to many real rail events for years and when I did they mainly involved a blue tank engine but I really don't like being pushed. My last few flights have been with BA and I have appreciated not being in the Ryanair seat scramble. My wife is so polite she seems to go backward in queues!

Tony

• RMweb Gold
What a socially inept, vacuous, smelly, rude, and ignorant species they are

+1 that!! I don't mean those of us who put time in to get and keep stuff going on preserved railways (well I would say that wouldn't I) although there are some real dumbaXXes amongst that lot, but a small percentage of the mob who turn up for galas etc. Most are ok, but some of them - well, we could well do without them.

Had a good day on the MHR yesterday, we had 92212 which meant easy prep and disposal. AY was there for the day, I think he enjoyed himself, we certainly enjoyed having him as our guest on the railway. I'm sure there will be some video and photos kicking around judging by the amount of time he spent behind his cameras, I hope he had better luck with his than I did with my little Sony which definitely had an off day.

I'm now going to make a carrot and ginger cake, and then a spot of guitar practice, a bit of Drake's Revenge on the PS3 with maybe a bit of 7mm point making later on for good measure. Some Peroni beer to be drunk at some stage, all in all a good day I hope. Whatever you ERs are doing have a good one.

• RMweb Gold

The local weather forecast indicates that at least part of the day will involve finding my wet weather gear for when I take Robbie out. Google weather suggests that the chance of rain gets higher as the day progresses and it is pouring now. Dog won't mind though!

Matthew and I watched Avatar last night. We never got to the cinema to see it in 3D. We quite enjoyed it though Matthew didn't disagree when I thought it was a combination of Pokemon and Warhammer 40K.

Phil, I saw your photo of Andy on the caption thread. He looks very happy.

Tony

Been out for a short cross-country run this morning (first time in a loooooong time, think I've pulled a muscle in my right knee), then a walk with Jamie and the dogs. Off out to Bishop Auckland show after an early lunch. Then planning a visit to the NRM at Shildon to see Tornado in light steam.

• RMweb Premium

I do feel a rant coming on about the so called 'rail enthusiast' though. What a socially inept, vacuous, smelly, rude, and ignorant species they are. Examples being, a pair that literally shoved a small child out of the way so they could be the first ones on the autocoach. One that nearly caused an accident because he refused to get out of the way of a volunteer trying to clear the track. Repeated queue jumping at the real ale bar. ( I will say the staff there were excellent in not letting them get away with it) The one that knocked over half a shelf in the book stall with his hummer sized back pack then ignored the mess he caused. Another pair that blocked the doorway to the museum during the afternoon downpour so that nobody could get in or out without having to practically yell at them to move. When someone was taking a photo, most normal people would either wait to pass or walk behind. I lost count of the number of anoraks that walked right in front of someone's shot oblivious to anyone else. (including my wife's attempts to photograph) The list goes on. Its no wonder people take the p*ss out of those that like railways. Its these morons that give all enthusiasts a bad name.

Yeah, I know this sort as well...<_<

• RMweb Premium

Morning all nothing exciting planned at all Matthew has work experience at a local fish shop so now wants to resurrect his pond project, my back is still tender so he might be about to find out what hard work looks like.

I haven't been to many real rail events for years and when I did they mainly involved a blue tank engine but I really don't like being pushed. My last few flights have been with BA and I have appreciated not being in the Ryanair seat scramble. My wife is so polite she seems to go backward in queues!

Tony

Are you sure she isn't Canadian? laugh.gif

Phil, I have nothing but the deepest respect for those who give so much of their time and effort to preservation.

Morning all nothing exciting planned at all Matthew has work experience at a local fish shop so now wants to resurrect his pond project, my back is still tender so he might be about to find out what hard work looks like.

I have to admit my first thought was the deep frying variety... [KennethWilliamsmode] Fryiiiing toniiiiight!! [/KennethWilliamsmode]

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure she isn't Canadian? laugh.gif

Definitely not Canadian but probably as polite! When we were on the top of Mt Washington this summer at the point where each family took each others photographs a French Canadian family were talking to my wife in English and she was talking to them in French as she thought perhaps it was the polite thing to do. I suspect she was being rude about my photographic skills though!

Tony

Definitely not Canadian but probably as polite! When we were on the top of Mt Washington this summer at the point where each family took each others photographs a French Canadian family were talking to my wife in English and she was talking to them in French as she thought perhaps it was the polite thing to do. I suspect she was being rude about my photographic skills though!

Tony

Quebecois is as close to French as Welsh is to English. (massive exaggeration) I'm surprised they understood a single word of what she said. laugh.gif

• RMweb Premium

Quebecois is as close to French as Welsh is to English. (massive exaggeration) I'm surprised they understood a single word of what she said. laugh.gif

Too polite to mention it I expect. Though maybe their politeness was misplaiced.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

French people say my wife's accent is like someone from the Paris region. I suspect they may be being unkind!

We also met some French Canadians from Nunavut. We were on a whale-watching boat . They seemed impressed that Matthew knew where it was (Nunavut not the boat!).

Unusual sight today ...A rabbit chasing a squirrel at full speed across a field.For what purpose?Who knows?Possibly the squirrel was threatening baby rabbits or perhaps the rabbit fancied hopping onto something different.The squirrel was fleeing flat out so it wasn't waiting to find out.

Morning all...

My language skills are limited to an increase in volume and sign language rather than excellence in vocabulary.

Yesterday was the annual 10 mile walk for the Selsey lifeboat, which I had the good fortune to participate in. rolleyes.gif

Very little sun and the rain ranged from a light shower to a couple of terrential down pours. Everyone was wet through and bedraggled, but it was all for a good cause and a healthy total was raised. Of course, I can't move a bloomin' muscle this morning...

Managed 2.5 hours that I was pleased with. God knows how they run 26 miles in 2 hours..

Enjoy your Bank Holiday Monday.

Boo hoo. I'm at work and not on a Bank Holiday. Worker's day fell on Saturday, so that's it. Luckily most shops stayed open, so was able to get my hair cut (fifth from the left at the back) and buy a camera. I am told that Matilda will be posted to me on Tuesday.

Weather still very pleasant.

Very nice work Jam! Congratulations!

Well done Gordon! How are the legs this morning?

• Like 1

Morning All,

As Dominik said, it is pretty foggy around here this morning. The day has rather a grey and depressing feel to it too. Hopefully it will brighten up a little bit later on.

There is no Bank Holiday either - it fell on Saturday, so we got the short straw this year. To everyone in the UK, enjoy your day off!

Have a good day everyone.

Surprised by your comment re Bank Holidays. Most of ours are on a Monday, but if Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day fell on a weekend, we would get another day in lieu. I suspect that's because we get fewer Bank Holiday than most Europeans..

Surprised by your comment re Bank Holidays. Most of ours are on a Monday,

Morning all,

I like the French approach to public holidays - have the holiday on the day on which it naturally falls and if that's a Tuesday or a Thursday, take Monday or Friday as a 'bridging day' as well!

Don't understand the capitalist idea of only having Mondays off.

8 rather nasty looking oktas and off to 'work' shortly!