The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

A damp, chilly start to the day here. 

Was meant to go to London today but instead was phoned late yesterday afternoon to see if I could pop up there and then. 

Two hours from home to Wembley where my meeting was, for something like a 50 mile journey.

Maybe life here in rural Hampshire has a tendency to make one become insular but the sheer volume of traffic on the trunk roads and motorways heading into the city was a real shock.

Sitting in a meeting late at night when I'd normally be heading to bed - coffee needed now!

Anyway, have a nice day everyone.  

• RMweb Gold

It's snowing!

But thank goodness it's not sticking around.

I knew it was going to be one of those days when I woke up with the arthritis in my left leg making it's presence felt.

I'm off to see the accountant later:  But she does hate it when I slip her the fee in crisp £20 notes in a plain brown paper envelope.

Lucky she isn't a solicitor, otherwise I might get more than I bargained for!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

So if his recent shopping is an indication Pete's a lumberjack ...  but perhaps not all of the words in the song as they weren't mentioned in his clothing layers.  

And Barry flying into Sydney - welcome to Botany Bay, in the pic below the two straight bits sticking out on the right are the runways - fun place to land and take off from and some great views.  And if you're flying with Virgin Blue volunteer to be ready to open the emergency exits - you get more leg room ;)

'The Railway Man' was  very powerful film and what an amazing man Eric Lomax must have been - well recommended but tough going in places.

NHS now sorted - I saw someone different from the one I was supposed to see so the NHS Direct system apparently counts that as cancellation and not a  transfer so yet another IT system badly specified and now wasting money as a result.

Rain has abated for the time being, we are promised more later, and teh river is starting to rise a bit again - further shock and horror in the media no doubt as nature does exactly what it has always done.

Have a good day one & all and here's Botany Bay for Barry to look forward to -

post-6859-0-79255100-1391078331_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Chilly but dry this morning. 

Here on the NE coast we have been relatively well sheltered and have missed the worst of the West winds and rains of the last few weeks/months.  Once the wind turns to the East though, we don't half feel it.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

• RMweb Premium

Approach to SYD is always over the water as I believe there's a no-fly zone over the suburbs.  Interesting.  But very similar to Singapore, Auckland and others in that respect.  Runways at both are right to the water's edge though not extended into it.

Sydney also has a night curfew due to its proximity to residential suburbs.  No flying after 10pm IIRC.  If you're delayed coming in long-haul and won't beat the curfew you get held back at embarkation or diverted to Melbourne.  

...Sydney also has a night curfew due to its proximity to residential suburbs.  No flying after 10pm IIRC.  If you're delayed coming in long-haul and won't beat the curfew you get held back at embarkation or diverted to Melbourne.  

What time does the curfew lift in the morning? I remember flying to Sydney in 2001 (BSL-LHR-BKK-SYD) and landing about 5am. Customs and Immigration were a darn sight more awake and oriented than I was.

My last flight to Oz was 4 years ago, when I flew with Mrs iD ZRH-SIN-MEL with Singapore Airlines, another very early morning arrival, but more than made up for it by flying Business Class in a brand new A380 (and paid for with a decade of accumulated frequent flyer mileage!).

Alas, I am now (home-) office bound - so no more business flying and (sob, sob) no more ferquent flyer mileage (but the HM more than makes up for that)

iD

• RMweb Premium

We are flying LBA-LHR-Dubai-Melbourne out (A380 from Heathrow) then train to Adelaide then flying Adelaide to Sydney the onto Melbourne - Wellington then fly home from Melbourne... all to attend a Leeds Model Railway Society Eating and Drinking(Australian Section) meeting....

Last time we were there we flew into Sydney from Cairns - taking off from Cairns was the worst bit..

edited as Leeds Bradford is LBA the highest runway in Europe!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

5am sounds right.  Can't have the place shut down any longer than absolutely necessary as it impacts on global schedules.

Melbourne had no night flying until around 5 years ago but also isn't right beside the CBD.  It's also not that close to very many homes at all.  We often arrive ex-LHR via DXB at around 05.30 but try to avoid the 02.40 departure outbound!  Moreso now that the 21.25 is an A380 but the slightly cheaper 02.40 is still a 777.

A little chilly here too -18C. The sky last night was amazing. Absolutely clear and still even the stars were not twinkling. Perfect.

There's beauty to be found in any situation.

Some joker on one of the TV channels scheduled "The Day After Tomorrow" for primetime viewing. Apart from the laughs it was a crappy film....

Btw the Manhattan MidTown Apple store large window broke sometime two weeks ago - it just suddenly shattered.

People assumed the cold rather than some over-zealous soul with a Snow-Blower.

Later, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Btw the Manhattan MidTown Apple store large window broke sometime two weeks ago - it just suddenly shattered.

I'm sure they were quickly able to replace Windows with an Apple alternative

• RMweb Gold

Approach to SYD is always over the water as I believe there's a no-fly zone over the suburbs.  Interesting.  But very similar to Singapore, Auckland and others in that respect.  Runways at both are right to the water's edge though not extended into it.

Have they changed it then Rick = while it's not sionce 2005 every time I flew into Sydney we came in over land and in fact the 'racetrack' for descending aircraft to lose altitde into the landing approach came in over Manly (at least twice) and the posh 'burbs on the coastal side before going north of the CBD into final approach.

Here's a pic I took one morning on the way to work with the QE2 lying alongside what by then was called the 'Overseas Passenger Terminal' and there in the background is a Quaintas 747 heading into the airport on a flightpath which takes it right over Sydenham.  The take-off path - where maximum power is used of course - is out over the bay with what seemed to be a consistent climbing turn to port for northbound flights.

post-6859-0-56601500-1391083568_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hey, Stewart I saw one of your old mates on TV over here, yesterday.

Best, Pete.

Who?  Was it William J Connolly?  Gerry Rafferty?, Francis Rossi? They're about the most likely candidates to meet the criteria of old mate and TV?

Afternoon All

Just looked in for a quick catch up and a moan - one of the jobs that I had scheduled for today to re-cement some stonework which also supported a gate post which came down in the winds over Christmas - and when we got up, it was a pleasant, but chilly morning.  Got all the tools out, and used a rapid set cement to make up the mortar - should be set in 20/30 minutes - so propped everything up to allow the time to set - that was at 10.30 this morning.  It's now nearly 2 and it's still not set - so checked the tub of cement, and saw the ominous wording "do not use when air temperature is below 5oC - outside thermometer is saying 3, so it's either not going to set, or it's going to take much longer.

Other job was replacing some silicone mastic - thanks to the ER advice line, I managed to do that one just fine - cheers for the help gents.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

The two jobs for today have not been without their difficulties!

First was the emptying of four years worth of Gruffalo excreta :stinker: (we aren't on mains drainage) which seemed to be proceeding ok until the final stage of sucking out the outflow chamber - at which point we found sludge had accumulated over the level of the outflow land drainage pipes. Our nice and helpful sh1t man did manage to clear it and prove the outfeed pipes but we won't know for sure until much passing of waste matter has been achieved and the ground water level sinks a little.

The second job was the replacement of my car's windscreen. A helpful fitter arrived with a new screen, checked it was the correct version (tick) and then checked the existing installation (cross). He hadn't been supplied with the surround trim!  :rtfm: They will now come tomorrow and collect the car, returning it several hours later. The fitter himself was great and checked the tiny marks on the MG Midget's windscreen, satisfying us that the screen is fine and will pass the forthcoming MOT - if only that was our only worry! Still, there-occupation of GWRS (Gruff's Wonderful Railway Shed) is now looking to take place before I pop my clogs. 

Very light snow has made an appearance whilst out on septic tank duties, now just very cold and dull. Two reports to analyse then a bit of RM time this evening if I'm lucky. Stay warm and dry all.

Who?  Was it William J Connolly?  Gerry Rafferty?, Francis Rossi? They're about the most likely candidates to meet the criteria of old mate and TV?

Afternoon All

Just looked in for a quick catch up and a moan - one of the jobs that I had scheduled for today to re-cement some stonework which also supported a gate post which came down in the winds over Christmas - and when we got up, it was a pleasant, but chilly morning.  Got all the tools out, and used a rapid set cement to make up the mortar - should be set in 20/30 minutes - so propped everything up to allow the time to set - that was at 10.30 this morning.  It's now nearly 2 and it's still not set - so checked the tub of cement, and saw the ominous wording "do not use when air temperature is below 5oC - outside thermometer is saying 3, so it's either not going to set, or it's going to take much longer.

Other job was replacing some silicone mastic - thanks to the ER advice line, I managed to do that one just fine - cheers for the help gents.

Regards to All

Stewart

Billy.

• Like 1

Morning - only -7 here but snowing and blowing snow. We got about 4 inches overnight and expecting totals of 4-6 or so time it's finished. I hate it when that happens and I still have to roll the garbage bins to the side of the street <sigh> should have done it last night before the snow started, oh well :scratchhead:

This weather means there'll be total chaos, kids sleeping overnight huddled in schools because they can't get home, motorists trapped for up to 24-hours on freeways and the National Guard summoned to help distribute food to all the folks who are stranded....

Oh wait.... no, THAT was in Atlanta yesterday because they got 3 inches of snow.... I remember now, I'm in Minneapolis, it's just going to be, in the words of the newscasters "a little inconvenient this morning for the commute..." :)

• Like 6

Have they changed it then Rick = while it's not sionce 2005 every time I flew into Sydney we came in over land and in fact the 'racetrack' for descending aircraft to lose altitde into the landing approach came in over Manly (at least twice) and the posh 'burbs on the coastal side before going north of the CBD into final approach.

Here's a pic I took one morning on the way to work with the QE2 lying alongside what by then was called the 'Overseas Passenger Terminal' and there in the background is a Quaintas 747 heading into the airport on a flightpath which takes it right over Sydenham.  The take-off path - where maximum power is used of course - is out over the bay with what seemed to be a consistent climbing turn to port for northbound flights.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.htm#S scroll down to Sydney

• RMweb Premium

Billy.

Yes he does seem to pop up a lot, doesn't he?  Done well for a folkie.  I think that the last time I spent any social time with him was so long ago that he's probably forgotten me by now.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Gone daft again and am in the process of booking a trip on another ship -  for a voyage up to Kirkenes.  Mind you after a spot of delving on the 'net  I'm hoping we don't get the same sort of 'small boat' experience which passengers got back in 2011 and if they offer an engine room tour I think I'll pass.

http://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/Travel-planner/Ships/Hurtigrutens-Ships/MS-Nordlys/

And no doubt the Northern Lights will not be working by the time we get there - but you never know, and an interesting question then on camera settings perhaps?

• Like 3

Ian, We started at -18C but we will reach the giddy heights of -2C. I'll be celebrating by stripping off and running around in the snow.

Our snow has now got that squeaky "setting teeth on edge" thing going for it when stepped upon. Chalk on a board stuff.

Best, Pete.