The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just been out in the garage clearing it ready for upcoming improvements.

Out went the old MDF baseboard tops and are now in the car ready for the tip.

Next a LARGE pile of old Model Rail covering the last 10 years and also back issues of Model Railway Constructor and Railway Modeller from the 1970s. 

I'd been keeping hording these purely for nostalgic reasons. But felt the need to move on and so they are in the recycling bin. Barely opened them before chucking them. 

Kept 2. One had some very old Alan Downes articles from 40 years ago - dodgy chicken wire and papier mache and may scan it in for the thread on "Who can outdo who".

We all started somewhere it seems!!

Next into the bin are some of my brothers old GF non-functioning chunky 1970s GWR locos. He dumped them on me a few years ago telling me if I didn't want them to put them into a charity shop. Again for nostalgia for his GWR roundy-roundy layout I kept them. Until today. Time to move on. 

Hoarding all this cr@p was/is getting in the way of me building what I want.

Feeling refreshed.  

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I have returned, and all the better for a nice little ride on a pannier tank followed by another on a 43XX mogul but the penalty was getting caught in a downpour on one of the more remote (from cover) parts of the GWS site.  Drive to Didcot this a.m was interesting with several small - fortunately - trees blocking half the road in various places although only one was still there this afternoon.  Anyway main mission accomplished and good update of progress on various items of Great Westernry.

Somewhat disappointed in Dr Station Cat's failure to deal with the blue Jewson bag - I'll send her out to recover one of the brisk stacks as soon as the weather is bad enough.  River level has dropped slightly since earlier this morning but yesterday's rain won't reach us for a day or two so it will no doubt rise a bit again.  And neil has my full commiserations regarding his armoured cable job - I (eventually) found the best way to make off the joints is to use a Workmate or similar to hold the cable in position but somehow I can't see nim managing that in a pond.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend one & all and hoping the weather will keep at bay for you.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just been out in the garage clearing it ready for upcoming improvements.

Out went the old MDF baseboard tops and are now in the car ready for the tip.

Next a LARGE pile of old Model Rail covering the last 10 years and also back issues of Model Railway Constructor and Railway Modeller from the 1970s. 

I'd been keeping hording these purely for nostalgic reasons. But felt the need to move on and so they are in the recycling bin. Barely opened them before chucking them. 

Kept 2. One had some very old Alan Downes articles from 40 years ago - dodgy chicken wire and papier mache and may scan it in for the thread on "Who can outdo who".

We all started somewhere it seems!!

Next into the bin are some of my brothers old GF non-functioning chunky 1970s GWR locos. He dumped them on me a few years ago telling me if I didn't want them to put them into a charity shop. Again for nostalgia for his GWR roundy-roundy layout I kept them. Until today. Time to move on. 

Hoarding all this cr@p was/is getting in the way of me building what I want.

Feeling refreshed.  

Andy

I always like to meet wealthy folk who can afford to chuck money in their dustbins ;)

Where's the "No Comment" button when you need one? :)

[Edit] Or even the "schoolboy snigger" button?

Where's the "No Comment" button when you need one? :)

[Edit] Or even the "schoolboy snigger" button?

Sorry, as a late-comer there are too many posts to read, so I commented in spite of myself, and consideration of being "a day late and a dollar short"...

You'll all have to forgive my insessant desire to reply to posts before managing to slog my way to the latest ones, especially at the weekend, when I tend to be later starting in on the ER read...

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that all relative though, doesn't it depend how tall she is??? <ducking> <apologies for any offence> :jester:

I believe we do indeed have ladies of various different heights here on ERs. But some - almost certainly not all - may sometimes wear heels.

• RMweb Premium

Armoured cable end made off, new waterproof socket wired, pump on and pond drained back to less Thames-like levels.  Oh how I hate armoured cable - it's tight for length too, only a foot or so protruding from the gound.  Only thing worse than armoured is pyro.  NO, armoured is worse, looking at the state of my fingers!  Had to run in twice for heavy showers, putting an upturned bucket over the cable end!

To cheer myself up I ran three British EMU's on my US layout....no-one was looking.  DCC failure on the 4 CEP, turned out to be yet another broken wire on it, that's getting tiresome. Now if I could only remember where the three centre coaches are for the 'Belle I'd run that too, but....ahem.  I know I bought them....took me ages to get 'Doris'.....they haven't even been out of the boxes, but can I as hellers like remember where they are!

As for the will, Andy - turns out a very close friend is a serial adulterer, before, during and after 19 years of marriage.  The more comes out, the more I am astonished at how he got away with it for so long.  Very, very disappointed with his post-discovery behaviour too, I just don't get some people.  I see so much unhappyness at work that I hate it when it spills into my private life.  One thing is for sure it reinforces my relationship with Mrs H, so there is that positivity to reflect on - 30 years married next month.

... I'm going to a birthday party in Lebanon tonight................

Best, Pete.

I know you've had your fair share of snow Pete, but isn't that a bit far to go just to avoid it :O

beaten to it again - one day I'm gonna get up REAL early so I can get the timing right on these replies and not look like a --> :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

Alo, 'noon all - at least here (see the way late relies to posts!!) all the same, -11 heading for -5 and a few inches of snow this afternoon. (Correction, it's just started now as I look out the window)

Have some friends coming for dinner tonight, so last evening started preparations - I'm making a Victoria Sponge, love them and seldom make them - make the sponges last evening after a nice Valentines dinner at one of the bests Indians in town.

May get some modelling in today, here's hoping - there's always tomorrow though, no plans at present other than modelling (watch that change if I'm not careful :nono: )

Stay warm, dry and safe as you can all you waterlogged, windswept ERs - and try and stay cool, those down there at the bottom of the world...

• Like 2

I always like to meet wealthy folk who can afford to chuck money in their dustbins ;)

Bin day is Monday, Mike, if you want to have a root through my detritus beforehand! I'll not grass you up if you turned back up at home with armfuls of moldy mags. Honest! :) 

The one thing I do miss from the earlier Railway Modeller mags is the prototype plans they used to put in each month. "Plan of the Month" was also quite good, albeit you'd need to bend the track round your knee to get it to fit!  

One thing is for sure it reinforces my relationship with Mrs H, so there is that positivity to reflect on - 30 years married next month.

He sounds like a very sad individual and someone to be pitied; after everyone has taken their turn giving him a kick in the g@@lies!  

Sounds like some good has come out of this then.  :man_in_love_mini:  :wub: Congrats on 30 years! 

I'm sure a few of us could volunteer if you need people to be mentioned in the new will.    :read:  :jester:

Best, Andy

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Now who can guess the outcome of this lot:-

30747 - "You know that oven cleaning kit we got a while back?"

45156 (warily) - "Yeesss"

30747 - "can you just see what you need to do with it"

45156 (even more warily) - "You put the shelf racks into a bag, and they come out clean, then use the rest of the stuff on the oven floor"

30747 - "Let's get on with it, then"

So with roast chicken in prospect for today's dinner, I started to get all the chrome ware out, and got the bag ready to receive the bits - then read the instructions, and the potential problems started to rear theit ugly heads - "leave racks for two hours (fine) then turn in bag and leave for four more hours before extracting and cleaning.  The gel is not suitable for easy care linings."

So the oven part was deferred until after dinner, and the conversation continued:

30747 - "We'll do the top of the cooker now, and the cooker hood"

It took about two hours to achieve that, while dinner was in the oven, and after dinner, we had a look at the cooker instructions - hey presto, the oven lining is easy care, so can apparently only be cleaned with mild detergent and a cloth.  Ever tried to get two years accumulated oven grime off of an easy care lining using that method?   Even the glass covering the lamp was caked.

So we started and got all the bits that can be cleaned using the kit, and made a start on the not-so-easy clean lining then had to stop as spending so long bending and peering was causing a backache.

Any takers as to what tomorrow's job is likely to be?

Regards to All

Stewart

ps - found a package on the doorstep this morning containing a myriad of little, pointless gifts, left by a friend who was brought up in Norfolk, and who is trying to maintain the "Father Valentine" tradition see here for more about this one http://www.fathervalentine.co.uk/

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

Evening All,

Just taking a break before guests arrive, I've done my mise en place, the soup is simmering nicely and I have just to cook the meat, peppers and onions as the guests tuck in to the soup.

Tex-Mex tonight; firstly salsa with corn chips (two types: "Swiss Mild" [i waved a chili at the ingredients] and "Swiss Medium" [i put in 1 chipotle]), then cream of sweet corn soup, then tequila marinated pork loin fajitas and a pineapple and mango salad for pudding. All I can say is thank the gods for the food processor. And if I can manage to stay away from the tortillas, sour-cream and guacamole, it shouldn't do too much damage to the diet!

Have a great evening folks.

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly a funny old world.  I generally consider myself a good judge of character (I still get a lot of practice at work!) and as I used to be an HR professional and did a lot of interviewing then, I can generally work folk out pretty quickly.  In this case I didn't see it coming until about a year beforehand, and even then I was doubting myself. Known him 22 years.  Sheesh.

iD's dinner sounds rather good as usual, but I'd like the chili (and a couple more) dropping in, not waved at.....I do like my grub spicy!

After all the 4 CEP DCC fault finding shenannigans I had a cheapo Hornby decoder left over so bunged it in a passing Bachmann class 24 - runs like it had a fantastic hand build coreless mechanism, totally silent, superb low speed control.....this chip was as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a different loco, I'll never understand this DCC lark!   Been at it almost 16 years too.

• RMweb Gold

I see that, according to the BBC, floodwaters have now reached knocker level.

Sorry to cause such a stir folks, that should, of course, have read door knockers.

post-7191-0-15230500-1392492435.gif

• RMweb Premium

Weather governed the day again.  It wasn't forecast to stop raining until after lunch so we had lunch at home and went out for a couple of mags and other bits and bobs afterwards. On the way back to the car, yes, you've guessed, it started to rain again - ducked into cafe for hot choc until it stopped.

Snow struggling to survive on the mountains but this shows how dark it was again at 3.30pm.

post-14049-0-20171100-1392499465.jpg

Make the most of any weather window.

Polly

• Like 5

On the West Coast last night, a friend had just dropped a lady off after supper when a gust of wind lifted her over a six feet fence.

No serious injury fortunately.

His house is wrecked by the winds.

Hoping the worst is about over.

The Jet Stream seems to be moving North.