The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Yes, thanks, builders arrived at 8.00am and have worked hard ever since, fuelled by regular tea and coffee supplied by us. They looked dubious when I told them it was likely to remain dry since we could see Dartmoor clearly but I'm right, so far! When it disappears from view, rain soon follows.

• Like 2

Today - grey damp start - getting brighter.

Operated on dog had stitches out last night - nice and clean. So the bucket's off her head.

HOWEVER she's found a packet of tissues and shredded them on the bed.

And the guy next door is having work done and there's drilling. :(

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Weather slightly brighter although we had some rain earlier which was a bit heavier than a gentle shower.  While I haven't watched much of the curling this time round it is quite an interesting sport to watch I've found, rather like bowls only faster.  Next think we know Gordon will be into croquet - not just the gently pottering about game it is often thought of but involving some vicious tactics despite being played by seemingly sweet old ladies.

Some oddments of holiday arrangements still to finalise plus checking one of the times the travel agent sent us which seems to mean we'll spend 5+ hours at Bergen airport waiting for transport into town?

Have a good day one & all.

Did you see Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Channel4 "Scandimania" programme on Norway on Sunday evening ? It featured Bergen,Hardanger Fjord and the rail journey from Bergen to Oslo.This has been the subject of a so-called "slow TV" documentary In Norway.Hope one of our channels buys it or we can get it on DVD.It quite whet my appetite for paying a return visit to Norway.As students in 1962,we drove all the way up the spine of Norway from south to north.....Oslo,Tromso,Bodo to Hammerfest in a VW camper van....8 of us.From a rail fan point of view,the one memory I have is of camping near the Arctic railway and hearing the sound of a whistle and then seeing an NSB loco,with spark arrester chimney appear at the head of a single coach train. Like a scene from Doctor Zhivago.( which of course had not then been made )

Hope you will make that rail journey....or at least an alternative.The Scandinavian countries are breathtakingly beautiful....and eye wateringly expensive,I'm afraid.We had a few days in Stockholm in August of 2011. Treated ourselves to a meal out in a cellar restaurant in the Gammlastan...the old part of town.It's owned by the committee that awards the Nobel Literature prize. Very nice,great cuisine.....3 courses,pint of beer and bottle of Cote du Rhone ...bill comes to approx £220.Anyway....enjoy Norway .Going soon ?

• RMweb Gold

Did you see Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Channel4 "Scandimania" programme on Norway on Sunday evening ? It featured Bergen,Hardanger Fjord and the rail journey from Bergen to Oslo.This has been the subject of a so-called "slow TV" documentary In Norway.Hope one of our channels buys it or we can get it on DVD.It quite whet my appetite for paying a return visit to Norway.As students in 1962,we drove all the way up the spine of Norway from south to north.....Oslo,Tromso,Bodo to Hammerfest in a VW camper van....8 of us.From a rail fan point of view,the one memory I have is of camping near the Arctic railway and hearing the sound of a whistle and then seeing an NSB loco,with spark arrester chimney appear at the head of a single coach train. Like a scene from Doctor Zhivago.( which of course had not then been made )

Hope you will make that rail journey....or at least an alternative.The Scandinavian countries are breathtakingly beautiful....and eye wateringly expensive,I'm afraid.We had a few days in Stockholm in August of 2011. Treated ourselves to a meal out in a cellar restaurant in the Gammlastan...the old part of town.It's owned by the committee that awards the Nobel Literature prize. Very nice,great cuisine.....3 courses,pint of beer and bottle of Cote du Rhone ...bill comes to approx £220.Anyway....enjoy Norway .Going soon ?

We're doing it by ship Ian - Bergen to Kirkenes and return and we should be crossing the Arctic Circle about the time of the Equinox which is reputedly a good time for the aurora.  Mrs Stationmaster has kitted us out with enough cold weather gear to survive a trip to Greenland - the travel agent's advice was to 'take an umbrella', we'll see who was right when we get there.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, at this rate I might start watching days of test match cricket...

Gordon

you don't know what you have been missing.. beer snakes... people dressed as a variety of cartoon characters.. beer at £4 a pint (at least its real ale at Headingley now)..... and teh antics of the players .....

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

We're doing it by ship Ian - Bergen to Kirkenes and return and we should be crossing the Arctic Circle about the time of the Equinox which is reputedly a good time for the aurora.  Mrs Stationmaster has kitted us out with enough cold weather gear to survive a trip to Greenland - the travel agent's advice was to 'take an umbrella', we'll see who was right when we get there.

Is that the Hurtigruten route ? Nice... the Lofoten Islands are lovely,if bleak.You are doing the trip in part darkness,then. One advantage is that you avoid the midges of an overland journey in midsummer. Give my regards to the Lapps & their reindeer..and to Hammerfest,if the ship calls there.A fabulous coastline,as I recall.

• RMweb Gold

Is that the Hurtigruten route ? Nice... the Lofoten Islands are lovely,if bleak.You are doing the trip in part darkness,then. One advantage is that you avoid the midges of an overland journey in midsummer. Give my regards to the Lapps & their reindeer..and to Hammerfest,if the ship calls there.A fabulous coastline,as I recall.

We're on a Hurtigruten 'all stations stopper' - if you call at a place at night northbound you see it in daylight southbound and vice versa.  Mind you we're in the bargain basement (along with those who bought a 'Daily Telegraph' special offer - we bought the same package but went elsewhere and got it for £200 less  :sungum:  ) so I don't think it will be quite on a par with our normal seafaring trip (but we're doing that in June anyway ;) ).

• RMweb Premium

Morning Afternoon all.

Morning all..:-)

Raining again, but gently not bucket loads.  Here's hoping for improvement in your neck of the woods.

I've always been a competitive sport lover, but can't believe I've just sat enthralled for the last hour watching the mens curling quarter final.  It all went down to the last stone against Norway….and I'm pleased to report GB went into the semi's.

Good grief, at this rate I might start watching days of test match cricket...

Thanks for posting that, Gordon. Guess who missed it!  I did sit enthralled by the ice dance, though, and then had to settle for doing a late dinner.

Tonight, it's down to some interior design.  Posh words for some basic modelling.  I've got tables and chairs, some little people, waitress (I new that maid from a previous set would come in handy one day) and mini backscene to fit inside The Tea Rooms (former launderette) on Camel Quay.  The one good thing is that if it doesn't quite look right inside, you probably won't notice throught the windows - and I can always have people peering in to hide everything.  If it's superb, I'll feel right gutted as it's right at the back of the layout - and who's going to be bothered about peering into the windows back there, anyway?  Yes, I know, you lot. :mosking:

Enjoy your day.

Polly

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We're on a Hurtigruten 'all stations stopper' - if you call at a place at night northbound you see it in daylight southbound and vice versa.  Mind you we're in the bargain basement (along with those who bought a 'Daily Telegraph' special offer - we bought the same package but went elsewhere and got it for £200 less  :sungum:  ) so I don't think it will be quite on a par with our normal seafaring trip (but we're doing that in June anyway ;) ).

Just enjoy....Bergen looks to be a lovely town to spend some time.Not been there,but is photogenic. Could always visit Griegs house ?Hope your umbrellas won't see too much action.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When we went to Canada last Easter, Aditi said more than once during the first week that perhaps she had taken too many parkas but by the second week she was pleased that she included the Arctic one as well as the pretty one! I always looked the same, I just added warm or windproof layers as appropriate under my generously sized jacket which is a combination of waxed cotton and Goretex. 

Morning ER. -2 and sunny with high light overcast, clearing today by noon and heading for +7 (yes SEVEN) if you can believe it, as I said, a rollercoaster here this time of year.

Now we're looking for some minor flooding, nothing like UK of course. The theory and general practise is that as the days get warmer and the sun higher and out longer, our snow cover slowly evaporates, but if it warms too quickly even for a day or two, we end up with water in far too many places that it shouldn't be.

Problem is the depth of frost in the ground. Current estimates are the ground is frozen to as much as 7-8ft. in most places, more usually it's about 3-4ft. so as the snow melts there's nowhere for it to be absorbed and it runs off anywhere and everywhere it can - what fun the whole weather/climate situations are for everyone. :scratchhead:

And I STILL don't envy Don the extreme (for me at least) heat he has to endure so regularly <sigh> hang in there sir!

• RMweb Gold

Aditi is most perplexed. She has to do some training on Friday. Normally she would deliver her material/topic to 4 or 5 groups during the day, and the recipients would then get someone else for their session. However this time for some reason Aditi gets to stay with a group all day and has deliver other colleagues materials. The module on "Equality & Diversity" involves looking at the equality and diversity issues in photosynthesis. Aditi has sent an email to the author of the material asking if she knows what photosynthesis is.

Aditi is most perplexed. She has to do some training on Friday. Normally she would deliver her material/topic to 4 or 5 groups during the day, and the recipients would then get someone else for their session. However this time for some reason Aditi gets to stay with a group all day and has deliver other colleagues materials. The module on "Equality & Diversity" involves looking at the equality and diversity issues in photosynthesis. Aditi has sent an email to the author of the material asking if she knows what photosynthesis is.

PC gone mad????

I have to say that this dinosaur is tired of hearing about equality and diversity so Tony's post (even though it was probably meant with tongue wedged firmly in cheek) was a huge scarlet banner to this person of a May birth-month.

At the most local of levels, I should be able to make up my own mind if I like someone or not and if they deserve my respect for what they contribute or not. It should not be the function of the establishment to control every one of my thought processes and or emotions under the guise of equality and diversity!  As for researching whether photosynthesis involves equality and diversity, I fail to understand on what grounds was the funding of such research would be provided.

Bah, humbug....

• RMweb Gold

Good morning

Today I shall mainly be doing..domestics..her indoors is on half term hold..so first up ..drop her car off at garage for servicing..

Take her shopping

Pump out garden

Do some modelling...

Collect car

Meet my mentee

Find out who Sunderland will play in the FA cup

Bed...

As the meerkats say...simples....

Have a good one.

hope the other items on the list went more smoothly than the last one before bed. Suspect the equaliser pleased you?

• RMweb Gold

PC gone mad????

Well the server room at college did require the services of the fire brigade today.

Aditi is looking forward to her colleagues photosynthesis explanation!

Aditi's training session is (a requested session) all about lesson planning. She is working with lecturers who teach English and basic numeracy to young adults (who don't speak English). She has written some poor lesson plans and they are going to work on improving them. I said it would be really embarrassing if they started using the poor ones!

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that this dinosaur is tired of hearing about equality and diversity so Tony's post (even though it was probably meant with tongue wedged firmly in cheek) was a huge scarlet banner to this person of a May birth-month.

At the most local of levels, I should be able to make up my own mind if I like someone or not and if they deserve my respect for what they contribute or not. It should not be the function of the establishment to control every one of my thought processes and or emotions under the guise of equality and diversity!  As for researching whether photosynthesis involves equality and diversity, I fail to understand on what grounds was the funding of such research would be provided.

Bah, humbug....

Agree absolutely Gruff but clearly we are missing the point - obviously equality and diversity applied to photosynthesis is all about applying it to [the] greens (who are probably also a red rag to a bull as far as some of us are concerned).

What is even more worrying is that the thing was written by someone who is seemingly charged with educating others :scratchhead:  :O

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Agree absolutely Gruff but clearly we are missing the point - obviously equality and diversity applied to photosynthesis is all about applying it to [the] greens (who are probably also a red rag to a bull as far as some of us are concerned).

What is even more worrying is that the thing was written by someone who is seemingly charged with educating others :scratchhead:  :O

Not only that, I bet they are paid more than me for it!