The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good Morning All,

No Oktas in attendance here in Gosport, and so was accordingly chilly this morning when I cycled into work. The weekend was good fun, even if the weather that supported it here was abysmal! Still, as was mentioned earlier, the heaving rain made for perfect Formula One watching weather!

Jam! biggrin.gif It's nice to see you back and I'm glad that you had such an excellent time away. I have flown over the Yorkshire Dales a good few times in the last year - in my journeys to Scotland and back, but never stoped in them myself. The montage you posted looks very nice!

I hope everyone else had a good weekend. Robert, I do rather feel for you at this time. Having split up at the beginning of '08 my Ex then passed on at the end of October 08 - aged 19 and leaving a 2 year old daughter behind, so this week I haven't been the happiest bear in the house, however life must go on, allowing time for reflection of course.

Have a good Monday all (well as good as Mondays get, anyway! laugh.gif )

Morning all.....Bright and sunny. Must be Monday the ramblers have just walked past. Makes me smile, about 20 of them dressed up as though they're going to the Artic. There's not a lot of wild animals or treacherous paths in the suburbs of Berkshire...

Robert, I do rather feel for you at this time. Having split up at the beginning of '08 my Ex then passed on at the end of October 08 - aged 19 and leaving a 2 year old daughter behind, so this week I haven't been the happiest bear in the house, however life must go on, allowing time for reflection of course.

Oh good heavens! Rather puts things into perspective that does... At least my wife is still around - even if seeing her can be a little difficult for me.

I am actually feeling a little bit better today - I think the initial shock is wearing off, allowing me to be a little bit more rational.

I'll be thinking of you Graham - I can't imagine what you must be going through.

Good Morning All!

I'm glad you're feeling better today robert. rolleyes.gif

I've go so many things i should do but just can't be bothered to do. how ever i must go food shopping otherwise i'll be for the high jump when Natalie gets back from Corfu this afternoon. huh.gif

Anyway have great day everyone

• RMweb Premium

I am actually feeling a little bit better today - I think the initial shock is wearing off, allowing me to be a little bit more rational.

Good to hear this :) . As others said before - just do whatever you have found to be helping you cheer up - no need for any justification for that!

Graham - that does sound tough indeed :( . Keeping my fingers crossed for you to fare well, too!

Robert and Graham: you might find comfort and inspiration in one of Fleetwood Mac's hits, "Don't Stop". It has certainly lifted me on many occasions.

"Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow,

Don't stop, it'll soon be here,

It'll be, better than before,

Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone."

The rest of the song has some equally powerful lyrics!

Good Afternoon Folks, there are times when you forget how much of a community this forum - and hobby too, just is! Thank you all for your kind words and support. There are parts of the last 22 months or so that have been very hard, and some harder! But things are looking up.

I'm quite humoured by the suggestion of Fleetwood Mac! I love them and their music! and whils I'd not thought about "Don't Stop" - for which you're quite right John, is very lifting, I have found quite a lot of Solace in their record "Go your own way" I don't know for how - or even why, but thats the one for me (except on a Sunday Afternoon on the Beeb when it's the Chain all the way! biggrin.gif )

That Russell Watson track is wonderful, I've never heard it before but have just pulled it up on a very well known internet video viewing service....

Thanks Again everyone, I hope you all have a good evening! I'm about to Settle in front of "Air Crash Investigations" on the gogglebox - and then off to the MRC tonight! biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Jam! :D It's nice to see you back and I'm glad that you had such an excellent time away. I have flown over the Yorkshire Dales a good few times in the last year - in my journeys to Scotland and back, but never stoped in them myself. The montage you posted looks very nice!

Thanks for the warm welcome :D I would advise visiting the Yorkshire Dales strongly if you're into beautiful countryside!

Sorry to hear about your situation though, I can't begin to contemplate it, but life always gets better after a fall!

Graham:

you'd do worse than check BBC's iPlayer for the programme they broadcast last night about the story behind Fleetwood Mac; it looks at the relationships of the three couples in the band and gives you an insight as to how Dreams (by Stevie Nicks) was countered by Go Your Own Way (by Lindsey Buckingham) for example. Their songs were, as some of Abba's, based on the reality of the band!

HTH

UK Health and Safety Regulations would almost certainly prohibit them.

However, given the chance, UK H&S Regs would also ban crossing the road, walking up stairs, playing football, most certainly playing Rugby, martial arts, taking hot drinks (tea, coffee, etc.) and so on; it's getting to the stage now that just being alive is dangerous and probably a contravention of the regs!:icon_lol:

• RMweb Premium

UK Health and Safety Regulations would almost certainly prohibit them.

Over here they may not be newly installed, but, generally, existing ones have protection of continuance. As long as they are properly maintained I would think this to be perfectly fine.

I'm even a bit nervous of stepping on or off an escalator. I would definately jib at exiting a paternoster.

Good morning everybody.

How was first day back at school, all you educators and students? Mick, BoD & Jam.

30 forecast for today! phew.and then showers on Thursday.

Happy Tuesday all.

Morning All,

It's a pretty grey morning here today - about 7 oktas and it has been raining, although it isn't at the moment.

I spent a proportion of yesterday evening listening to some music remembering the good times my wife and I had together - it helped to put things into perspective a little bit and while certainly not easy the last thing I want to do is to become bitter and twisted about all of this. Life has to go on.

Speaking of Paternosters - yes I have ridden on one. There used to be one in a building in Boreham Wood that belonged to the company I worked for . I left the UK in 1999 - and so this particular lift was in service as late as late 1998, early 1999 - but I am not sure if it is anymore. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe it was used in an episode of "the Prisoner" but maybe I have got that wrong.

Actually it was brilliant - far more efficient than a lift. The lifts we have here (four of them) are an absolute pain - you end up standing around for ages waiting for one to turn up, whereas the Paternoster just appears and you get on! Getting off was no more difficult than walking out of a lift - I am sure you could have an accident and get crushed, but you would have to try really hard to achieve it!

How did your Great Uncle fare DD? I presume there was something wrong with the Paternoster concerned - because certainly with the one I knew it wasn't possible to step into it when it wasn't there.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

As Robert said - grey, wet and foggy outside - bah :blink: . Will be bringing my car to the garage on Thursday to put on those winter tyres and to have the oil changed. I also will need to have my hair cut - long overdue it is by now.

Actually it was brilliant - far more efficient than a lift. The lifts we have here (four of them) are an absolute pain - you end up standing around for ages waiting for one to turn up, whereas the Paternoster just appears and you get on!

The lifts in the infamous "University Tower" in Frankfurt certainly are a proverbial pain in the behind. Though there's all of seven of them - one group of five and another of two - when you push the request button there is no way of knowing which of the group will turn up first, so when there are many people waiting for the lift along with you, chances are it'll be the one furthest away from where you are standing, resulting in the cabin being already full when you do get there - after which, of course, the same game begins anew :icon_mutter: . Thankfully, the days of the Tower as a whole are more or less numbered - unpleasant place it is. By contrast, I always liked the IG Farben building - so much cleaner and more appealing. It does have a rather checkered history, but I personally think it is a good thing it has come to serve as a place of knowledge, philosophy and the study of humanities after all.