RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I am getting stronger, slowly. With physical assistance I am able to walk to the dining room.

The care and attention of  the staff to residents is unbelievably outstanading

The catering is First Class!

My brother took up resedence in an upper market residential retirement village but the service and catering rendered here exceeds his by far..

Tim is still my link with the real world.

Still  keeping it short

Don, perhaps you could have your brother move in with you? Then again perhaps not, as much as I love my brother the idea of sharing a house or room even with him is certainly a no-no.

Morning All,

When it comes to barking dogs we had some advice from a dog trainer that requires a certain amount of confidence on the owners part. Archie had/has a problem with puppies on leads. He can get really aggressive. The trainer told us to "bark" at him and clearly indicate he is not the boss. The logic being that only the pack leader decides who to bark at. First time I did it Archie looked really taken aback (as did the other dog owner). You'll get some strange looks but it might help.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the tip

I've just let her out for a widdle and within seconds of being let out into the garden she started to bark, so I barked at her and, looking very bemused, she stopped barking. Schotty poor lad, on the other hand, looked completely puzzled.

Whether or not it will work with more serious barking we'll have to see.

Jock, thanks for the best wishes,  hope it does work out for her.

iD

• Like 5

Steph safely delivered to work, blood removed painlessly, porridge consumed to redress balance. Thinking about taking the dogs for a proper walk (short walk this morning due to other early morning commitments!) but the weather is foul at the moment, still wet and windy. I will keep an eye on it. 

iD. There appears to be no easy answer as the 'experts' can't agree. Very good friends of ours took on a rescue dog (puppy) after their old dog passed on. It has some aggressive issues. As a result, he had been returned to the rescue centre twice before they took him. The behaviour adviser told then he needed a lot of love and was not to be reprimanded. Furthermore he should feel that their home was his and they should discourage visitors. He went from being mildly aggressive to overly aggressive, not even allowing his owners into 'his room'. They called in another expert who told them the complete opposite and said the previous advice was utter rubbish. They are now using common sense and we are now allowed back in the house again!

Just had a call from Steph. Two members of staff have called in sick so she probably can't now take the time off to go down to Tipperary after all. Update expected later! With the Health Service cuts, there's no slack in the system.

John

Up early - I seem to be suffering some allergies, isn’t that unusual at this time of the year?

I’ll be directing traffic this am, just for an hour but it will be raining (Nor’easter spinning up the coast), actually it may do me good. I have a waterproof “duster” which comes down to my ankles and decent boots.

My “supervisor" from the P.D. called yesterday and advised I’m being given a permanent position which would double my hours to 2.5 a day. I really enjoy doing this as it is so different from what I’ve ever done. So, I’m happy. It’s good to do something actually useful to the local community.  

Sorry about the lack of “G’nights” recently Jock - normal service will be resumed soon.

Btw I have to say that BBC’s World Service has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few months alone. I’ve got an app on my iPhone that let’s me choose between about 25 local radio stations in the UK including all the BBC ones. This means I can listen with as good reception as you would in the UK.

Best, Pete.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I’ll be directing traffic this am, just for an hour 

Best, Pete.

Just be careful where you wave that guitar!!

OK I'll get my waterproof and head outside!!

baz

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Back on after a weekend exhibiting in Warrington and catching up elsewhere.  Will try and catch up here over the next few days.

Misty moisty here.  The previous night's weather has more or less stripped our trees of their leaves - two trees if you count next door's overhanging hawthorn.  The good thing is that I can now see the birds fleeting about in them.

Morning All,

Just back from dog walk. Lucy has some serious anger management issues. We know she nips (the Vet called her a "witch" and said we need to nip it in the bud [no pun intended]) and today she barked aggressively at an old lady and at a man in a suit. How much of that is from the stress of being in an animal shelter for 6 months, followed by an upheaval and a new home, I don't know. She does respond to my command (when she barked aggressively, I held her muzzle and firmly said "enough", she didn't like it, but didn't snap at me). Strangely enough, in the house she is fairly obedient (not bad, as she's only been with us for 4 days), very affectionate to me and she lets me manhandle her without protest! I think that she is starting to regard me as her pack leader. Yesterday I tried to take her food away whilst she was eating, interestingly she didn't snarl or growl or snap, but let me take the bowl away, although she kept on eating as long as she could reach the bowl!

Any sage advice from fellow dog owners welcome.

One of our fellow ERs has commissioned me to build a 7mm building, should be fun (another has expressed interest). Stay tuned.

This morning I have a splitting headache, yesterday I worked on an "urgent" document from 06:00 to 20:30 with two 60 minute breaks. And all because the people in charge always do things at the very last minute. Yesterday's documentational marathon could have been avoided had decisions been made 10 days ago.

So today, I am taking it very easy indeed.

Have a great hump day.

And, very often, things they could have done (maybe, should do) themselves.... 

I can say that now that I'm retired...I hope.... :mosking:

Painting little people, today.

Keep well.

Polly

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Lovely bright sunny day outside although a bit of cloud forecast for later.  A lot of yesterday's originally forecast rain never arrived but it was windy although nothing exceptional.

Sounds like it might be easier to resettle dogs than it is with cats - Wesley never ever seemed to fully settle and always remained scared of male strangers although he wasn't too bad with his own household males.   It really would help if we knew what animals had been through before we take them on although at least our pair of cats seem to have settled well.

Have a good day one & all and great to see Don getting to grips with a bit of posting.

• Like 7

Morning all from the boring borough. Mostly quiet here. Been doing some actual modelling. Shock horror. The hate hate relationship I have with the ME viaduct lives on. I finally managed to complete the bits to build the bridge abutments only to find my tube of squadron putty was dryer than an Dean Martin martini. :scratchhead: Of course the local generic hobby shop nearby doesn't stock it. Sort of like having a cheese shop without cheddar. In the mean time I'm weathering the viaduct with MIG powders to give it a light rust effect. At the moment it looks a bit too heavy but that will lighten up once it gets blasted with dullkote.

Work is finally getting busy again. The downside is it looks like the next project will be the standard 3 ring assclown circus again. Same bunch of f-wits I had to deal with last April. Oh joy of joys.

DD: probably cheaper to hire a hitman. Seems stupid to have such an extreme set of costs just to lodge an objection.

Good to see Don B posting. In full stereo no less. :O

Have a good one all.

DD: probably cheaper to hire a hitman. Seems stupid to have such an extreme set of costs just to lodge an objection.

Far cheaper (I'm told).

I forgot to add the cost of mediation at £800 per day.

Fortunately he refused to discuss the issues.

Good afternoon, no time to post this morning - straight into doing what I'm paid for here so can't complain!

As half term nears, the kids get demob happy. the parents evening went well - the younger seems to be getting on well in year 1, the step up in academic work hasn't fazed him at all. Sounds like he might be a budding mathematician/scientist as he picks things up very qucikly and has an eye for a pattern. Hardly a surprise as he is almost exclusively a visual learner. Next half term they'll start work on producing things from their own imagination, and that's where he might struggle. Still the school are experienced with that sort of thing so he couldn't be in a better place. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a 'community lunch', at the local school to celebrate the (re) introduction of on site catering.  It went 'central' some years back, and it now appears to have come full circle.

Roast beef, plus chocolate pudding and chocolate custard for seconds!

Looking at the line up of those who attended, made it look (with the notable exception of myself and the Obergrumpenfuhrer) like refugees from an Darby and Joan outing.

Now off to process some apples...............................that's core, skin and slice, then put them into the fruit dryer...............Not stuff them into my face whilst raw!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just back from a 'community lunch', at the local school to celebrate the (re) introduction of on site catering.  It went 'central' some years back, and it now appears to have come full circle.

Roast beef, plus chocolate pudding and chocolate custard for seconds!

Looking at the line up of those who attended, made it look (with the notable exception of myself and the Obergrumpenfuhrer) like refugees from an Darby and Joan outing.

Now off to process some apples...............................that's core, skin and slice, then put them into the fruit dryer...............Not stuff them into my face whilst raw!

Did you have to ask for the skin? That was traditional when I went to skool...er....that must be...er...let me think....er...um....oh, yes, a lifetime ago....and chocolate pudding and chocolate custard was a favourite....and we used to fight (i.e., who wielded the greatest charm over the dinner ladies - well, something like that!) to get a decent portion of skin especially if you were lucky enough to be at the front of the queue.  Not sure I'd want chocolate custard now, though, but a supply of B'rds regular custard is kept in the cupboard - not keen on the instant stuff, though it is handy if you're short on milk.

Polly

• Like 6

Did you have to ask for the skin? That was traditional when I went to skool...er....that must be...er...let me think....er...um....oh, yes, a lifetime ago....and chocolate pudding and chocolate custard was a favourite....and we used to fight (i.e., who wielded the greatest charm over the dinner ladies - well, something like that!) to get a decent portion of skin especially if you were lucky enough to be at the front of the queue.  Not sure I'd want chocolate custard now, though, but a supply of B'rds regular custard is kept in the cupboard - not keen on the instant stuff, though it is handy if you're short on milk.

Polly

Now that's really odd, because at my school most people hated the chocolate pud and brown custard. More for the rest of us! Shortbread with pink custard was the worst, a hammer and chisel would have come in useful!

John

Polly

Ah, custard skin. There was one dinner lady at our school who was in sole charge of the giant custard bowl and ladle. In 6 years, I only ever heard her utter these same words... "Want skin?"... I do hope she was more conversational at home.

Needless to say she was forever known only as "the skin lady".

...Though I'm more focused on Southern EMUs atm...

Southern EMUs...excellent choice. Oh for a 4-COR though in RTR form for some instant gratification! :senile:

Pete, actually in this part of the country allergies are also prevalent this time of year, apparently due to the large amount of dry/drying leaves all over the place, so I'm not surprised. I suffer variably (been very bad sometimes, hardly noticeable others) and admit to that being one reason winter is welcomed :)

So here we are again, HUMP day is upon us, Don waxing lyrical from the bottom of the world, others wending their way through the trials and toil of the day, still others waiting for paint to dry (you could take a break and watch some grass grow!!! :O )

Started out at 3 this morning and the drive in again was excellent now that the sun refuses to show before I've completed my commute - will be 17 by later in the afternoon and some scattered thunderstorms around the state, but none forecast for the immediate vicinity.

We were occasionally  served a square of hard chocolate coloured substance with a dollop of fake cream on top. The trick was to smeer the "cream" over the square and apply a spoon like a chisel using the fist as a hammer and hope the hole lot didnt end up on the floor!

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aha!  Custard and sponge puddings... well guess what's on the menu for lunch in the refectory at our show in Leeds this weekend!...nom! nom!

ooh hang on.. they are on my "banned" list - ah well I can only sit  and eat some in a quiet corner of course by cutting the sponge in half the calories and sugar/fat content disappear.. could be a plan here!

baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

We were occasionally  served a square of hard chocolate coloured substance with a dollop of fake cream on top. The trick was to smeer the "cream" over the square and apply a spoon like a chisel using the fist as a hammer and hope the hole lot didnt end up on the floor!

or the whole lot land in the lap of the master at the head of the table.... been there ... done that!

I thought school lunches at secondary school were wonderful, with the exception of pilchards/sardine salads.

Me too. Spam Fritters! Remember those?

Our primary school once served hearts, whole - I wrapped mine in my handkerchief, my mother had a nasty surprise later.

Who eats that kerap (apart from the possibility of Baz)?

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Me too. Spam Fritters! Remember those?

Our primary school once served hearts, whole - I wrapped mine in my handkerchief, my mother had a nasty surprise later.

Who eats that kerap (apart from the possibility of Baz)?

Best, Pete.

I think the only offal I recall at school was liver. I suspect other offal was disguised as faggots or rissoles.

My grandfather (the crazy one) always used to have two lambs brains on toast for his evening meal on Mondays.

Tony

• Like 4