The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

RE the weapons find (in Somerset); the majority appear to have been cut up, straight across both wood and metal in some cases, so probably with an angle grinder. I suspect an unlicensed private collection, possibly dumped rather than turned in at an amnesty, but sensibly destroyed first.  The BBC video is here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-31611673

Dull and grey in the Hundred of Mansbridge. I may spend a couple of hours sorting out excess stuff to dump, donate or sell. Shopping and a pint later. 

Have a good day.

Pete

• Like 5

Catching up after going awol for 48 hours. Another letter from Gideon's minion and my tax code has improved from 667L to 821L; further correspondence awaited, returning it to 1060L.

Off to visit the invalid soon, taking in "smalls". Best wishes everyone.

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tony, does Matthew not possess his own alarm clock? It seems excessive to have to set your own alarm to phone him up!! Still, good luck with his civil service assessment. I applied to the Inland Revenue when I was an undergraduate; it took them so long to reply and offer me a place on the residential assessment that I had given up and applied for and been offered alternative employment. I "withdrew from competition" as they put it in those dim and distant days.

Matthew does have a variety of alarm devices! He has managed for some years now never to require an alarm call for his world travels or exams at funny times. I was quite surprised when he asked if we would ring earlyish to make sure he was awake. I think this was due to some anxiety about today. He said if you do very well or very badly in the assessment you get informed quickly. Otherwise you go on an "amber" list for further consideration.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning again.  Ironing polished off to two sides of Frampton Comes Alive and then Neil Young's Harvest which proved a suitable one to chill to afterwards.  Now a bit more CAd work on my coach etches before venturing out to the fang mender.

As to the debate about pailkillers.  My wife has a condition that cuases chronic pain and is only kept going by a daily dose of a cocktail that includes opiates.  these allow her to have  areasonable quality of life.   She is also allowed liquid opiates to be used as a top up as required.   Fortunately her GP is excellent but she does have problems when she goes into hospital as she isn't allowed to self medicate.   There are many myths about such painkillers but in her case they are a life saver and she ahs been taking them for over 10 years.  So my advice to a sufferer would be to keep on asking.  Many GP's are relctant to prescribe the stronger painkillers but you get no medals for battling pain.

Jamie

Morning all. Grey and dreary inside and out and still feel carp

The Somerset weapons find is far too bizarre in many aspects.

Firstly - who would dump a collection of cut up weapon parts at the same place.

Second - The range of weapons appear to date from the 1930's to the mid eighties

Thirdly - There also appears to be a lack of weapon knowledge on the part of the expert interviewed and possibly the police.

I have to agree with Pete (Trisonic) about the ones identified though with the possibility that there is more than one FN.

Pete 75C - You have my sympathy over the use of the tip. I've been in a similar situation myself.

• Like 3

Very true, Jamie,

On the subject of the weapons cache. Sensible to cut some of them in half? Maybe. One has to ask the question why not hand them in at an Amnesty? Dumping stuff in rivers is not an answer. I’d been involved in a case of a Model 66 S&W found by an angler in a river in Wales. The culprit forgot or ignored the fact that a Model 66 is made of stainless steel... after extensive id work it was found to been involved in an (to then) unsolved  murder/ possibly political assassination.

You have to be very thorough and not make assumptions.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It's raining and the car is going in for MoT test but I can wait while it's done I'm told - trying a local garage this year instead of the main dealer and hoping for considerably more commonsense about doing what I think needs doing in order to pass (new wiper blades - is all, I hope) rather than failing it for the very reason that they hadn't done what I asked them to do before testing it.

I find the warfarin tests very straightforward and it seems the clinic do like to keep an eye on the numbers - test done by the GPs' surgery before 12.00 gets the analysis done same day by the clinic and result back by post the next day so it seems to work quite well.

Heard yesterday that the funeral of a former boss who died last week will be taking place next week.  Duly looked up the location on Google Maps and it had never heard of it, or the church - then found the church is shown by a different name on Google (the street view camera didn't get the sign completely!) and fairly logically Lower Bodham, still not named on Google, is just down the road from Bodham (which is on their map).  Attendance now depends on many things but Google reckon 3h30 to drive it from here which doesn't appeal too much to be honest; will see what transpires next week but a possible overnight by the seaside maybe be looming.

Have a  good day one & all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pete, why not ask your neighbour to take your waste down to the tip for you? Actually at our local tip they can be quite accommodating, they sit in their cabin drinking tea whilst watching you sort the waste into the correct skips (which they should be doing) only venturing out if it appears that you are going to place it in the wrong skip. :jester: And then only if its not raining.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have to say our local tip is absolutely fantastic!

They are always willing to help you and I never see them standing (or sitting!) around doing nothing.

It does seem to be the exception rather than the rule though.

P.s. My new camera has just arrived, so I may be preoccupied for a while

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I have to say our local tip is absolutely fantastic!

They are always willing to help you and I never see them standing (or sitting!) around doing nothing.

It does seem to be the exception rather than the rule though

My local one, on the "Island" is rather good. The staff are very helpful. They have vehicle height restrictions but do have a tall vehicle day. Neighbours with vans do get asked about the origin of their waste. I believe that in the nearby unitary authorities of Thurrock and Southend one has to provide proof of residence to use the facilities.
  • Like 4

One of the few things Bexley gets right is its waste management. Its operated by Serco. The tip I use is well laid out as a drive through. Drive in, stop at each relevant dumping section, drop your crap, and continue to the next. No reversing, no faffing about. Non recyclable waste goes into a compactor. Simplicity. They do check for residency and commercial waste but if you have a residents waste centre window sticker they just wave you through.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Our tip is huge - its the town centre :sungum:

Seriously they have done a good job with our recycling centre. it used to queue up onto the A23 but now it has a one way system with the bins set lower down than the road so its easy to drop waste into each of the segregated types of waste.

• Like 6

roundhouse, on 26 Feb 2015 - 12:49, said:

Our tip is huge - its the town centre :sungum:

Seriously they have done a good job with our recycling centre. it used to queue up onto the A23 but now it has a one way system with the bins set lower down than the road so its easy to drop waste into each of the segregated types of waste.

For some reason I read that as you dumped your waste on the A23. :O

On another note, has anyone gone down the smart meter route yet? My provider (Ovo) has just sent a missive about getting one installed. Interested in any tales of woe or if this is a good way to go. In theory its a good idea but it would mean losing my current ability to trigger a bill on demand by submitting the readings online.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No whimsey on this page today? it's a shame "Early Risers" isn't what it used to be.

I wish to pass on the following good advice -- if a bag of grapes falls off your trolley in the supermarket, do not run over it with the trolley.

Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Does the 5 second rule still apply if you do?

It wasn't possible to find out. My shoes were still sticky when I got home, and the company's market share was further reduced by having an aisle roped off while they cleaned it up.

In the interests of scientific research, ERs may wish to conduct the following experiment:

1. drop a grape on the kitchen floor.

2. stamp on it.

3. repeat the process 99 times.

4. measure how long it takes for someone else to clean it all up.

5. ask them to mark their opinion of you from 1 to 10.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

For some reason I read that as you dumped your waste on the A23. :O

On another note, has anyone gone down the smart meter route yet? My provider (Ovo) has just sent a missive about getting one installed. Interested in any tales of woe or if this is a good way to go. In theory its a good idea but it would mean losing my current ability to trigger a bill on demand by submitting the readings online.

Try searching 'Smart Meter Problems' and 'Smart Meter Security'. There are far too many articles to mention here

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately smart meters, which may be a good idea, are providing some of the energy utility providers with another opportunity to 'push' products at an unsuspecting population.

Mrs 4630 has answered several direct marketing 'phone calls (despite us being registered with the Telephone Preference Service) from our provider advising that they must come and replace our meters with a new smart meter as "It's a legal requirement".  Which of course, it isn't.

https://www.gov.uk/smart-meters-how-they-work

Personally, I can work out if I'm using more energy than I need to by counting the number of lights Mrs 4630 and junior 4630 have left on in the house - or the gas fire ramped up to the maximum in the unoccupied living room.   :nono:

For the moment I prefer the comfort and probably the security of submitting my own meter readings as and when required.

• Like 5

Excellent to read about a positive health outcome.

As for what happens when stuffed full of drugs, well, there's uncertainty in everything. At dinner table an experienced nursing sister once regaled the company with the account of a young man, who had received emergency treatment after a fairly major road traffic accident, and 'came to' post operation in what was then Intensive care, reciting Billy Shakestick's Henry V. In full. Once he was 'down' a couple of days later, he had no recollection of his extensive spouting, nor could he confidently recite a single line of any play.

...if they are representative of today's youngsters then there is still some hope for the future...

Perhaps I only get to meet an unrepresentative sub-set, but they strike me as so much better rounded than my contemporaries at the same age. Yesterday evening with a 15 to 17 y.o group we did 'should I pay any attention to the upcoming election?'. Most of them were so modest about not knowing enough to really be able to express any choice regarding government. (At their age me and my contemporaries knew exactly what was required to put the plutocrats up against a wall or bind the workers with really invincible chains (according to taste) and unaninmous on the future of greens - eat them if you find them enjoyable, otherwise place on the compost heap directly.)

Tonight it's a year six group and they want to ask questions about death. Some of them are still concerned for the families of those who must be presumed dead in the Malaysian Air flight lost on March 8th last year. At that age I think my only concern was when I could have a five speed bike...

• Like 2

Afternoon all - this is the first chance I have had to catch up today. 

I have just been to try to donate blood - I say try because it didnt work out too well!  The 'donor carer' just seemed to have trouble getting the needle into my vein.  As a result, it was considerably more uncomfortable than usual.  Eventually she says that it is OK now, but then comes back five minutes later and says that the blood flow is very slow, so then has a few more efforts to get the needle in correctly - each effort becoming more painful than the last.  Eventually she realises that it is not going to work and has to give up - much to my relief by then!  After well over 30 donations, I have never had this much trouble before.  Hopefully it wont put me off donating again, when the time comes around in 4 months.

On the subject of tips, the one in Frizington in West Cumbria not only has very helpful staff, but has the most wonderful view up into Ennerdale!  Almost worth going just for the view.

Morning all. I don't often rant but here's one...

Went to the dump this morning to get rid of some excess cardboard packaging, some timber, a solid bag of plaster and a broken fence post. Arrived in my little van and was given the 3rd degree...

"Are you a tradesman?"

"No, this is all from my own property"

"You've come in a van"

"Yes"

"So are you a tradesman?"

"No - I've brought my van to avoid messing up the carpet in the boot of the car"

"What have you got?"

"Timber"

"Fine"

"Cardboard"

"Fine"

"An old bag of plaster"

"No"

"An old fence post"

"No"

"What do you mean No?"

"That's trade waste"

"I'm not a tradesman"

And so on...

Then, to make a complete mockery of everything, the guy from 3 or 4 doors up arrived in his "bigger" van and started to dump what looked to me like trade waste. A whole van load of it. Thing is, he knows the guys at the dump. One rule for one etc etc... Just goes to show that it's not "what you know" around here, it's "who you know". Maybe I should have a damn good clearout and then just flytip everything right outside the gates of the dump under cover of darkness. Before anyone suggests I get a skip, I had a total of around a dozen 8 yard skips in the early days of the house renovation. At £150 a go, I've had enough of paying for them.

Apologies, rant over. I need a coffee.

I have a Citroen Berlingo which I bought to transport my layout. Shortly after the purchase, "the powers that be" decided I could take some household rubbish down to the Corporation tip and there I was stopped because I was driving a "van". When they saw what I was actually carrying, it was decided that I could go ahead and tip but my details would be forwarded to the Guildhall here in Hull. I was then issued with 12 passes which would allow me access to the tip at the rate of no more than once per month. After ten years I still have three passes left.

• Like 8

BIN day again, and with it another dip in the roller-coaster we've been experiencing temperature-wise, how is it that the drops in temperature coincide with BIN day!!! Was -21 and sunny with a -30 wind-chill as I raced the bins to the street (well, not really, I can move pretty fast, but NOT pushing a full bin!!) :jester:

The cold drop kept many away from our "Lenten Soup Supper" last night, with the fortunate result that even though fewer people than usual came bearing soup, fewer folks were there to consume same. Mrs made a very, VERY nice Salmon Bisque and that didn't last long...

Discussions of foxes and badgers reminded me that whilst we do have foxes, badgers aren't a very commonplace here because of the climate, only found much farther south and out west. We DO have coyotes though, but seems it may be rather too cold for them at present as there have been few, if any, sightings for weeks now - they don't hibernate, but like most creatures - us included - have enough common sense to not be buggering about outside in this sort of cold for very long!!

Choir practice tonight and with it the pre-practice "Happy Hour" get together for sustenance with a few of the members - always an enjoyable event.

The past day or so, the numbnuts trying to get me access to various systems have finally succeeded, and I am now able to work furiously on various reports I'm developing that should have been in progress for the better part of a couple of weeks now.

So, back down the mines - well, into the depths of various development programs on the PC at least - they can be considered mine-fields on occasion...

• Like 8