RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Been a busy day. A bit of wire strangling and ballasting along with having to sit in queues of traffic caused by the CLA Game Fair at Hardwood House.

I was glad I didn't need to go this year as having spent  5 days running the air rifle range at Linx 2915 (Shropshire's Scout and Guide camp), the thought of de rigging last night and then having to travel to Yorkshire to the  the CLA for another two days of same would have been gruelling to say the least.

But it was an all family affair with the Obergrumpenfuhrer  working in the camp shop, and the Pygmy Hippo doing the climbing, abseiling and the zip wire.

Even Elsa tagged along for the ride, and was the official range dog, lolling in the car and being fussed by various young ladies and gentlemen who were waiting to shoot.

Being environmentally concious, last night we recovered about 80% (by weight) of the pellets that were shot.  Around 9000 fired over the 5 day period!

Yesterday we were visited by  Girl Guiding's Chief Commissioner, who during the visit, took the time to present the Obergrumpenfuhrer with her 40 years service award.  I am told that for a short time it was the lead photo on the GGUK Facebook page...............Famous for 15 seconds! 

The rest of the morning will be taken up in emptying both cars and then giving them a good clean, especially that used by Elsa, as there are vast tracts of muddy footprints on the rear seats, despite the plastic covers I put in prior to the camp!

As usual, although I've had quick glimpses of ER activity over the past week, there is just too much to try and trawl through, so the usual congrats, commiserations, get well soon comments as appropriate.

• Like 11

Mornin' all,

Overcast and just about dry in The Moorlands at 7am for the short clockwise weekend circuit.

We're more geographically limited over the next 4 days as Is must ideally be around home mid-day for doing the 2nd of 3 daily MRSA prevention applications ready for having the PIC line fitted on Wednesday. Much tighter domestic regime too with daily bedding washing/hoovering of the bedroom carpet and cleaning of the bathroom. 

I'd better get the decorating of the bathroom finished today.

Feathered ones provided for....a rare sight on the garden fence this morning was a greater spotted woodpecker

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Good morning all. In some senses...

Nice and warm, sunny, looking good for son's barbecue this lunchtime, all the grandkids in the same garden. Tends to get interesting.

Just been over to WH Smith in Wallington, which now houses the Post Office, to send off a GBL loco for swapsies. What a charisma and customer-care free zone that place is. The Post Office staff simply act as if there are no members of the public present, and have their what-should-be-teabreak conversations (loudly) in front of a long queue of waiting customers. Apparently the word 'please' has been banned. I was standing, waiting for them to open (Smith's opens at 8:30, the PO at 9:00) and apparently I was too close to the elastic barrier. Instead of 'Excuse me, sir' I got 'watch y'self!'. Nice. Smacks of slack management.

Anyway - congrats Ian. Our 43rd is coming up fast. We managed to get married at the very end of the school holidays when we were students, which made sense as we could work all summer, get spliced, have a break and back to college. What we didn't think through was that for the rest of our working lives our anniversary would be in the first week of term...

Off to the BBQ at lunchtime, taking the guinea pigs back, then lots of family photos. We have to have a serious conversation about taking Daisy to France next week - I'm happy that the tunnel is perfectly safe for car passengers, but I shall defer to her parents' wishes. After that, beer.

I hope you all have satisfying weekends.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Looks like it could be sunny here today.

I took Matthew to the station late last night. As I haven't had any messages I am assuming that he and his friends are in Switzerland now. The idea of a day trip is something that wouldn't have occurred to me but I think his friends wanted to visit as many places as they could while they have Schengen visas. Also I think all the messing about with his dissertation stressed him so much last week a little break will be good. He was literally pulling his hair out. He thinks the dissertation problem is resolved now.

Tony

• Like 1

Happy Yorkshire Day to my fellow countymen!

That's it, I have a real doggie wanting my attention and the 'black dog' seems to have escaped its kennel as well.

Best wishes to all, especially those with tangible ailments.

Edit: real to tangible

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny today and the forecast says the same tomorrow. Congrats and commiserations where necessary and especial congratulations to the England cricket team. Talking of cricket, when if as in this case where a test match that finishes early can't the pitch be opened for junior or disabled or otherwise disadvantaged cricketers? to let them play a couple of limited overs matches or ask members of the test sides and others to volunteer to do a bit of coaching. Baz or someone will now tell me that this already happens but if not all opinions would be very welcome. Of course it would take a bit of organising and things will have to be in place and the participants on 'stand by' but as in the case of the last test when it was obvious that the match would not go into the last day things could be set in motion early.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Then at lunchtime it's time to get my suit on and we have to walk a whole 100 yards to the parish church for the wedding of two friends.  As it's Yorkshire day all the men have to wear flat hats and the women all have to wear white roses.  It should be a good day.  We will be seated at our tables in the church and the party will continue without change of venue after the ceremony.   Then it's within staggering distance to get home, even for Beth.  Just one question, is there a fine for being drunk in charge of a pair of crutches.

Regards to all and sundry.

Jamie

Forgot to mention that the invite also specifies that whippets and ferrets have to be left at home.

Jamie

• Like 8

Morning all. Late on parade today after having a good few hours sleep for a change. I wish I hadn't though as I feel worse for it.

Van going in for service soon and I expect tomorrow to be busy cleaning and re-stocking it ready for Monday as well as all the other jobs that need to be done before the week starts.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 7

First the good news, Ruby is much better following a couple of jabs at the vets (antibiotics and pain killers). She is still on a light diet but did go for a walk this morning. She had to be helped into the car but her tail is wagging again.

Bad news, the weather was supposed to be good today but it isn't. High winds and heavy showers. Steph is still determined that we will go out for a picnic to try and save something of our cancelled weekend away. Friends who were coming to dinner next week have just cried off because they have had a major bust up which is very sad as they only tied the knot a couple of months ago.

On a more cheerful note, the sun has just come out again!

The Post Office has moved into WH Smiths in Cheltenham as well. When I was there a couple of months ago, I went into the shop, bought a card, wrote it and went off to the Post Office to get a stamp, only to find it wasn't where it used to be. I did eventually find someone in the know, who directed me back to where I had come from!

Make the most of the weekend, hopefully your weather is better than ours.

• Like 2

Esoteric Question Time (because I feel like it):

With the benefit of hindsight what made the Ferrari 365 P Berlinetta Speciale design ahead of it’s time?

Bonus points available to Ian if he replies without looking it up on the ‘net....

Have a nice day everyone.

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

The black dog is a real ailment - I know.

Agreed, perhaps I should've written tangible?

In fact I'll go back and edit my post.

I know when I'm struggling because I just can't keep track of things e.g. stringing a sentence together is often interrupted by the spin cycle that my brain seems to be in.

Thanks for your support folks.

I didn't know the post office had moved, Dick. What is the original building on the corner of Woodcote Road/Ross Parade used for now?

You know, I don't know! I think it may be empty. Ross Parade is changed, with a pie and eel shop of dubious repute...

I'll have a look and let you know.

Just been over to WH Smith in Wallington, which now houses the Post Office, to send off a GBL loco for swapsies. What a charisma and customer-care free zone that place is. The Post Office staff simply act as if there are no members of the public present, and have their what-should-be-teabreak conversations (loudly) in front of a long queue of waiting customers. Apparently the word 'please' has been banned. I was standing, waiting for them to open (Smith's opens at 8:30, the PO at 9:00) and apparently I was too close to the elastic barrier. Instead of 'Excuse me, sir' I got 'watch y'self!'. Nice. Smacks of slack management.

Well, well, well.  Reading that I thought you had been to Teignmouth Post Office.  The customer service training for Post Office staff must be universal.  The 'charisma bypass' op seems optional though as I have received a smile from some staff.

The offer of broadband, car insurance, telephone and a plethora of other services takes longer to be offered than the stamps that I go in to buy.  You stand there in a queue whilst household insurance is discussed.  Worst of all, why do foreign money buyers get a quick check out whilst all the others have to queue?

MiL Saga (I know how Saga chose their name now):

All fairly quiet - especially since MiL tried to clean the teeth she was wearing with denture fixative.

Last night she caught sight of Morecombe and Wise on the TV and explained at length how she and her friends were asked to give their career support when they gave up their jobs in the Mines at the start of the War (WWII). They even borrowed her bicycle to get to Blackpool.

The problem with these strange conversations is that there is usually an element of truth in some of it.

They (M&W) certainly came from the same part of the UK.

• Like 2

Clouding over here in Shropshire. 

Drive up here last night saw the usual and everlasting average speed control, narrow lane stuff on the M4. They've now twinned these road works with Operation Stack on the M20 and we'll be exchanging civic dignitaries in the next few weeks.   :jester:

My N Gauge Journal arrived in the post yesterday - another interesting issue with a reminder of the Totnes layout. Not sure if it is possible to become nostalgic for an era one never witnessed, so I'm just going to flag it up as a most delightful slice of life. Marvellous. 

Anyway, have a nice day everyone and congrats to Ian and his wife. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morningall,

Quiz attendance by herself now over I can get to the keyboard.  Our Post Office was awful for rude and unhelpful staff until someone (not me for once) wrote a very rude letter about them to the local 'paper - their (remotely located) manager leapt to their public defence but seemingly dropped them the gypsy's warning as things chanmged drastically and have remained fairly good although one of them still probably comes to work on a broomstick.

As for small town centres losing shops ours is no different although being a tourist town, and being where we are, we suffer other indignities - at one stage the town boasted a surfeit of very expensive frock shops but it seems the recession saw off most of them, the latest fashion is for 'interior' shops and we have acquired several new ones of late (but have lost the furniture shop!) while the other growth industry - apart from 'coffee & cake' eateries - has been in the more expensive sort of souvenir shop.  Except for one butcher (overpriced and not as good as the one in Pangbourne) we have lost all the grocers, greengrocers and a good delicatessen to the supermarkets.  All in all plenty of good reasons for shopping elsewhere, and that's before you start looking for a parking spot.

And on that happy not, plus Wednesday's weather in forecast area Niton potentially looking a bit better but still blowing a bit, I'll say have a nice day

PS As dad was a Yorkshireman we had a (white of course) rose carved into the gravestone.

• Like 15