RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright & sunny and i understand we are heading for D-I-Y sheds/garden centres looking for some sort of tool/flower pot store in order to make a bit of room in the greenhouse so the management can clean it very thoroughly.  I might have to mow the lawn again (i.e. properly this time) but the front hedge needs a trim and the grass still looks awful wet - we will see.

Management has been rooting around in the library and has presented me with a tin containing foreign money - I have a feeling it was there because it only contains such useful things as French and Belgian francs but there are a couple of 10 Euro notes and there might even be some Swiss francs, sorting fun ahead perhaps?

Havea  nice day and enjoy teh sunshine (assuming you've got some.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get to the GOG fest yesterday as I was too absorbed in domestic duties.

My mother has decided to pay us a visit and with the Obergrumpenfuhrer away visiting the wicked witch of N Wales, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour.  Mater will be arriving tomorrow afternoon:  I have to collect her as her broomstick is broken.

I decided to leave my head in bed this morning, whilst the rest of my body rushes around the house in the traditional ever decreasing circles.  with luck I will have vanished before the Obergrumpenfuhrer returns today.  Typically she has been very clever, and not given me an eta, which heightens the sense of apprehension.

Of course the Pygmy Hippo decided to go to the Nantwich food festival today with his girl friend, and before departing managed to decamp rather a lot of clothes from his miserable little room into the washing basket.

I now have to deal with this as well as making sure the house has been re vacuumed and dusted.  I can even see the windows requiring a quick clean.

GOG will not be an option today I fear, although I would only have gone for a look around.

However, I'm assured that I will be able to get a train fix at the local garden centre at Woodseaves, where they have a 7.25" line.

7.25" gauge, now that might be an interesting side project for a battery electric loco.  A bit more space that a 5" gauge loco for the traction batteries, and the track cost is only minimally higher.  Just a line from the side of the house up to the veg plot might work, just operate it as a long siding, with one loco in electron flow.  In fact, my neighbour has a scrap lawn tractor with a very nice Honda engine and hydrostatic gear box..............(Well it will be once it's stripped and repaired).

Must get off to Aldi now as I want one of their small circular saws before the building trade buy the lot!

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Must get off to Aldi now as I want one of their small circular saws before the building trade buy the lot!

That would be very useful, the rather large saw I have can be a bit unwieldy for some railway modelling jobs. I won't be going to Aldi today... Though perhaps...

I could wait until they are £10 off in the clearance bin next week. However...

• Like 4

post-7286-0-29192700-1441531769.jpg

Another bit of the view from my back windows, dominated by the former Union Carbide Works in Beeley Wood. In one sense the factory spoils the view of the woods and fields, but as one born in a seaport and brought up in pit villages, I've a liking for industrial scenes. I can't look at the four tall, slender chimneys here without imagining an upset kitchen table, and the brutalist water tower is a useful focal point in the composition. The new housing creeping up the hillside is part of Worrall (unlovely name!). The remnant of the former Sheffield, Ashton-Under-Lyne and Manchester Railway/GCR/LNER is hidden among the trees in the middle distance.

When we first moved into this house, we hated the stink we often got from those chimneys. I gather that the UCC plant was a filthy place to work, producing graphite rods for the steelworks, and I complained to the local Environmental Health department more than once about their effluent. They seemed pleased to field these complaints, giving them a bit more excuse for inspections, and got positively enthusiastic when I asked about the UCC group's international record in damage to the environment; especially the Bhopal disaster of 1984. So, we weren't saddened when Sheffield lost this industry. The site will eventually become a "reclamation village". 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from red dragon land.

Cloudy.  Drizzly in parts, like here, for instance.

Just popped in for a quick catch up but got a bit side tracked, as you do....

Hang on, "vintage"? Doesn't that mean like "really old"? Those used to go past our house when I was young...

Oh...

Talking of vintage vehicles, I just had a WTF moment (as in blurted out WTF, confusing the Mrs.) as an advert on Japanese TV for tyres just featured a penguin getting out of a GDR Trabant. Unfortunately I was so focussed on the Trabi I forgot who the tyre manufacturer is. I don't think I hallucinated it, it's Sunday morning, I had one coffee already and mainly chasing BabySquid around the room discouraging him from dismantling various things. Talking of BabySquid, he passed his latest checkup with flying colours and has powered through the 8kg mark (not sure what that is in "vintage" measurements, something like 3 groats, half-a-country mile and 5 halfpenny farthings).

Vintage?  Hmm.  As it's probably younger than me, maybe veteran, classic, or even just plain retired from service, may be better.  :mosking:

Back later to make more mischief.  :no: :no: :no:

Have fun.

• Like 9

Sorry to hear of David Taylor’s death at Brandywell during the Senior on the IoM yesterday.

I did notice that it was announced on the BBC website under “England”, huh?

I see that Groudie Glen Railway has again been attacked by vandals - Palm trees “killed”, Fencing broken as were benches and items stolen (no details). Poor old Neil and the rest...

Tex, so good to hear ER drivel from Tasmania again! We can’t relax our vigilance in the “colonies”, you know......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Interesting race at “The Theatre of Speed”.... worth watching the highlights, if that is your only option.

I’ll just add that on the podium was...............George Lucas. Eh?

Our “Low” this morning was 58F - haven’t seen that low for a while......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 8

Interesting race at “The Theatre of Speed”.... worth watching the highlights, if that is your only option.

I’ll just add that on the podium was...............George Lucas. Eh?

Our “Low” this morning was 58F - haven’t seen that low for a while......

Best, Pete.

Ours was +2°C