RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Birthday wishes to the Mrs ERs celebrating today...

Tuesday morning beckoned rather earlier than I'd planned <yawn> - out the window of the hotel it was grey, dismal, foggy and light rain <sigh> Time I was dressed and out the door it had cleared and was sticky!

Nothing to report from Long Island for yesterday, quite pedestrian, work, work, impress new client CIO with knowledge, work, work.

From the Minneapolis "home front" however, we have the first pictures of the completed deck, unfortunately all the carp around it was not yet removed;

post-20244-0-00580100-1443529404.jpg

post-20244-0-36846800-1443529405.jpg

post-20244-0-03405100-1443529407.jpg

Need some minor landscaping around it now, but it does make the new path look rather nice too :)

19 on the drive in, headed for 26 and very humid, before a storm front comes in overnight apparently.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

My problem this morning involved a website, but the problem was probably due to being dim.

When we went to Slovenia the travel agent must have included hold baggage when they booked us on to EasyJet.

I noticed that the boarding cards for our next flight mentioned having no checked baggage, so I logged on and tried to add hold baggage.  Not really a problem but I then I wondered if that was per flight or per booking. I really confused myself. I rang their helpline and a very nice lady confirmed what I had done was correct and yes I had paid for out and return flight baggage.

I shall now go and buy dog food. I can cope with that.

Tony

Curvy paths are all very well, but wait until the "lines of desire" start to appear.

Ed

Taking 3 sox out will increase the chance of a matching pair? Sorry Jack, didn't see your post.

Should the plural of spouse be spice?

Edited by edcayton
  • Like 2

Ian

Looking very good.

I do like timber decks but they tend attract rats,  mice, foxes and other pests under them. Do you get that problem there or do you have a means of keeping them away?

Indeed we do - it's called REALLY !@$!@$@! COLD WINTERS :jester:

The "honest" answer is, no, most all the homes in the area have similar decks/porches or other features.

We have so much in the way of woods and park land around us that the critters generally only pay visits and make their homes further away from the property. Chipmunks are the most likely but they even create burrows out under the far side of the lawn, not sure exactly WHY they don't prefer the decks etc. Everything else, from rabbits to raccoons and coyotes tend to prefer the woods for habitat. There is a significant amount of easement on either side of the railway line that runs a few hundred feet away (short line 2 trains a day at best) with a slight wooded embankment that is home to much of the local wildlife.

• Like 11

Curvy paths are all very well, but wait until the "lines of desire" start to appear.

Ed, I think that's why the US has such lax guns laws :jester:  :O  :jester: problem solved - just kidding folks!!

Actually, the curve is so slight (we had a wood-chipped path in the same spot for the last about 10 years) that most folks who use the path at all do actually stay on it! Once we get our "usual" snowfall, and the path is then duly shoveled, that accounts for 3+ months that there's no choice but it walk it, anyway :)

• Like 10

Birthday wishes to the Mrs ERs celebrating today...

Tuesday morning beckoned rather earlier than I'd planned <yawn> - out the window of the hotel it was grey, dismal, foggy and light rain <sigh> Time I was dressed and out the door it had cleared and was sticky!

Nothing to report from Long Island for yesterday, quite pedestrian, work, work, impress new client CIO with knowledge, work, work.

From the Minneapolis "home front" however, we have the first pictures of the completed deck, unfortunately all the carp around it was not yet removed;

attachicon.gifDeck-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDeck-2.jpg

attachicon.gifDeck-3.jpg

Need some minor landscaping around it now, but it does make the new path look rather nice too :)

19 on the drive in, headed for 26 and very humid, before a storm front comes in overnight apparently.

I like house numbers in the US.  5104 sounds so grand…..

Back from Archie's physio at the Fitzpatrick.  Next week will include 30 minutes in the pool to go on the underwater treadmill.  Pampered pooch or what?…...

Why is it women ask you to do a job, then when you are halfway through it ask/remind you something else needs doing.  Having had a busy morning clearing the study for the decorator and then going to Archie's physio, my job for this afternoon was sorting out the lights in my office and replacing 8 of them with LED lights.  If that wasn't enough my other half reminded me that I was going to cut the grass so Archie didn't trip up on a 2" blade of nature's finest.

Did some sums last night that a 50w downlight bulb on four hours per day for a year costs just under £10.  At that rate each one that is replaced by an LED will pay for itself in just over a year.  Sounded great until I did a count up and found we have 104 of them….. :O

• RMweb Gold

Did some sums last night that a 50w downlight bulb on four hours per day for a year costs just under £10.  At that rate each one that is replaced by an LED will pay for itself in just over a year.  Sounded great until I did a count up and found we have 104 of them….. :O

I don't think my maths has deteriorated that much since I retired so £10 x 104 = £1040 per annum.

Add to that you garden pumps and Eastwood Town

No the wonder they are wanting to build another nuclear power plant down there.

But in theory it guarantees that you have a matched pair!

According to my two grand daughters (one is 10 going on 20 and the other 15 going on 30) the wearing of pairs of socks is so yesterday! The 15/30 one got herself a second pair of different coloured "high boots" so as she could wear odd boots as well.

I give up, I blame the grand mother for this!

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3

Gordon,

Indeed they do sound grand, until you know the "reality" :) We're 5104 Millpond Place, grand indeed, BUT, the breakdown as follows;

1) Millpond Place is the official name of the street that is technically 51st Street. For numbering it's still the original 51st. Street. so 51xx is the "starting point" for house numbers

2) Platted lots are numbered odd/even side of street starting at 0, east and west of whatever divider is identified/used in a particular city/town.

3) We're the first two lots WEST of the designator on the EVEN side of the street

4) Since the house is on a two lot property and straddles the lot line they arbitrarily gave the house the number 4, rather than 2, no real rhyme or reason!

5) If they'd NOT decided to give it a nice name, our address would therefore be 5104 West 51st Street, but, due to the "named" street luxury (unknown as to why, not all streets get renamed) I give you

5) BINGO, the majestic 5104 Millpond Place, at your service :jester:

Pampered pooch - indeed, but why NOT is the question, we've pampered all our pets, just softies I guess! :)

One small advantage of being out of town, ESPECIALLY IN A BASEMENT with no cell service, is that I avoid the "to do list" quandary for a while, bliss :O - I feel for you.

So, 104, eh! Are you lighting Wembley Stadium or what?? :sungum:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 8

I don't think my maths has deteriorated that much since I retired so £10 x 104 = £1040 per annum.

Add to that you garden pumps and Eastwood Town

Sadly your maths is correct, hence my interest in LED lights.  My logic says that if we pay £0.13 per kW hr then a 50W bulb will cost (£0.13/1000) x 50 = £0.0065 per hour x 4 x 7 x 52 = £9.46 per year per 50W bulb.

Of course not all of them are on four hours a day despite my wife's best efforts to leave lights on all over the house.  We even have to put on a succession of 500w security lights in the garden at night so the dogs can see….:-)

When we were young and in love, leaving lights on was a topic that could be broached carefully.  Twenty years on it is a no go area…..unless you want to spend the night in the dog house.

Edit:   …but just to clarify in case she reads this, we're still in love…:-)

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian

looks like you will have to move further up the road!!

Some of those long numbers used to be a real pain to find.

Some years ago before GPS we were trying to find a model store in Las Vegas. The only problem is that the road it was in looked as if it had been broken up into loads of dead end roads over quite a few miles. I lost count of the number of U turns we did before we found the store.

• Like 3

Off hand,the highest street numbers I know of in Britain are on Great Western Road, which stretches out a long way west of Glasgow - 2000+.

So, for Ian, the numbers might be OK, but not the street name!

Edit: Apparently, there is an address 2679 Stratford Road, Hockley Heath, Solihull, West Midlands, but I've got my OCD under control again, now.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Arrrghhh, no, no, not THAT! - I was afraid someone would suggest it. From NOW ON, I will be referring to my address as 35104 a new Merchant Navy, "Millpond Line" :beee:

Either get a copper cap on the chimney or decide it should have been a Class 5 and paint it black (Cue a suitable Stones track as your doorbell)

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

If Gordon doesn't post for a while it is my fault.

Brave man took my advice about computers! However I hope it works as well for his Mac as it did for ours!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

To continue the US numbers game.  When I went on my cycling tour in Colorado and Wyoming my front wheel got slightly bucked in transit to Denver so I had to find a bike store that could true it up.  I eventually found one in the yellow pages and it's street address was in the 5,000's   I duly set off out off and as I was gently pedalling along the road that ran due west, in the rarified air I started clocking the numbers on the road signs and quickly realised that every 1000 numbers was a mile and each 'block' was a tenth -f a mile with the numbers obviously pre allocated.  Thus I had a nice 10 mile round trip as the first part of my acclimatisation.   So that satisfied the OCD part of me.

Jamie

• Like 14

Is that why you had the deck built, Ian?

Ed

Does the thrower enter your property or throw from the street?

Ed - the deck has been a long desired item. Used to be concrete steps there, but we planned that when the path was done we'd then add the deck.

The "thrower" would have to be quite the impressive bod, given it's about 65ft. from the street to the door! :jester: They usually walk across the lawn and dispatch the paper from a variable distance as best I can tell. We'll see how they do now since with the deck and associated railings there's a smaller "target"...

• Like 8