RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I don't think Robbie would be much use in protecting your strawberry patch from Muntjac. They would have not found enough to sample.

The cats aren't any use either although I do wonder if our new resident magpie family might make useful guardians?  One of them is plenty bright enough to pick up bread which has gone hard and drop it in the bird bath until it softens and then come back for it.

Incidentally we have had a water meter since the house was built - a case of having to of course.  But the water cost for a 4 bedroom house occupied by four (allegedly) adult people was, for some years, considerably less than it had been for the old Water Rates for the 2 bedroom bungalow which was previously on the site - notwithstanding Thames Water's habit of increasing prices at regular intervals.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

.  Moving to matters involving the G word something has been nicking Mrs Stationmaster's strawberries, complete with stalks - which suggests our resident venison dinner muntjac might well be the culprit.

Our vegetable and fruit patch is protected at the Obergrumpenfurer's insistence, by a 'Flakturme'.

The PH and I have to man it in shifts.

Rabbits and pigeons have entered her hallowed grounds, but far fewer leave of their own accord.

The majority have a holiday in our freezer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One thing about water meters is you pay twice for water use once for the supply and because the sewerage charge is also based on water drawn you pay again. This means if you do a lot of car washing or watering the garden it probably goes nowhere near the drains but your still pay for sewerage. If you are having a meter fitted it is a good time to make sure you have enough water butts. As currently we are on septic tank drainage it costs be about 60% of what it would cost you to hose the car down.

At the last place we had the steam so unless there was a drought we could get free water for the garden. The same sort of thing applies to leaks except there you are paying twice for nothing. A good way to check for a slow leak is to check your water meter before and after a holiday. So unless you have an automatic watering system or the kids come round to use things it shouldn't move

Don 

• Like 2

EMail from Scottish Power today apologising for their poor service in 2014.

They have credited my account with £74.

Inspired by an Ofgem directive I'm told.

Apart from giving them a b*ll*cking about getting their sums right I've not noticed poor service as such.

Unless it stems from the occasion the Negative got tangled up with the Positive and blew out the whole village.

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of one of those calls today - from 03334432297 - I picked it up, said nowt, and it cut off - did a reverse-look-up (it is free!) on http://who-called.co.uk/ and it appears to be an insurance comparison site - whatever you do, DO NOT RING IT BACK - it seems to be a premium rate line at VERY expensive rates through Vodaphone - you have been warned!

Edited by shortliner

Shocked but not exactly surprised (given I'm in the US with the far more regular/common occurrences of severe violence) at the awful murder of Jo Cox.

Of course I have no real idea who she was but whether a prominent politician or just a mum those sorts of things shouldn't happen in any civilized society!

Sadly, the UK and other parts seem to be taking a leaf out of the far less civilized US play-book, where those actions are so common place we barely skip a beat any more unless 50+ people are slaughtered, it seems :(

I almost feel compelled to apologize on behalf of the US for it being a major catalyst for excessive violence, it's rather sad to see these things becoming more commonplace everywhere <sigh>

POETS day and I'm thinking I'll POE as I can't think of a good reason NOT TO!

Another working day yesterday followed by meeting with the real estate agent to finalize the details of getting our rental house on the market.

That's good news.

Bad news is - obsessive Mrs has now got a laundry list/plans for prepping the place, and apparently rather than a weekend at the cabin, we're doing a weekend at home. I figured that'd mean some excellent relaxation here with some modeling throw in, right?? Right?? :jester:

Nope, sounds like we're in for a long weekend of chores, cleaning, prepping and otherwise working my arse off at the rental place. It really doesn't need much done, and we've some time, but on issues like this the Mrs is like a dog with a bone. :O

Hopefully I may get some modeling in between 11PM and midnight tomorrow, IF I'M LUCKY and don't pass out fall asleep way before that.

One package of six Cobalt point motors arrived yesterday, hopefully the other shiny bit package will arrive today.

19 and sunny this morning, looking at 30 for a high.

POE those that can, be safe everyone.

One package of six Cobalt point motors arrived yesterday, hopefully the other shiny bit package will arrive today.

Ian, how do you find the Cobalts? I tried a couple and had nothing but problems with them on DCC. Went back to the bullet proof Tortoise. Would like to hear your experiences.

Aft'noon all,

Fridge now stocked with her favourite things.

Now waiting in for hosp. call to say that they're bringing Is home from around a mile away. Had to have a barney with her brother & sister this morning cos they feel that they're not being consulted enough over her. I stopped short of saying that her friends are of equal importance to her. This is cos she lived away from family for so many years/was on her own after 1st hubby died for 19 years and developed an extensive social circle and these friends have already agreed with Is to provide this care (and are qualified to do so).

Had to strongly state that they should have a chat with some of these friends to get an understanding of how important she is to them.

Yet again....you couldn't make it up.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Again, caught up and posts read and rated.  Bad news is that I haven't got time to comment on each and every one of them, but generic greetings are as usual offered to those who need/want/deserve them.

However, since posting, Dave's latest contribution has just popped up, and again, I hope that Is gets home for the weekend, and that she is being treated as SHE and YOU want, and not according to the whims and fancies of estreanged relatives. 

Today has been a bit of a busy day, with a trip to the bank (there is still not a way of paying in certain things without visiting the branch, regardless of what the online/automation pundits would like us to believe), and also a trawl round the various sources of seciond hand railway books, where nothing was to be found.  Then was tasked with the hoovering, and the machine was not picking up properly, due to clogged filters (again).  Is once a year not enough for this unpleasant task - apparently not.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edit - to add a comment on Dave's post.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 14

....they're not estranged Stewart and have been a regular part of our time together, however, they are no more significant than her family from her first marriage or her many friends.

Dave

Looks like the usual chaos back home on Southern but all the GCR trains appear to be running here at Quorn. Layout working fine. Beer is good aswell!

Interesting interview with Southern's Chief Operating Officer on the Today programme this morning; quite a bit about train cancellations even when train crews were available. Of course she wasn't able to comment on individual services... (Wonder what her salary is? Probably more in a year than most of us would expect to see in a lifetime working)

Mal

Ian, how do you find the Cobalts? I tried a couple and had nothing but problems with them on DCC. Went back to the bullet proof Tortoise. Would like to hear your experiences.

Andrew,

OK, need to add a SEVERE CAVEAT here, as I know folks get excited as all get out with personal reviews/testimonials, so, all of the following is my experience only, and I've never tried anything else except the old PECO and H&M solenoid motors ages ago. Also note I'm running DCC and using the IP Digitals which are decoder equipped, so nothing extra to buy.

1) The first set I got, the "earlier" releases without the 9-pin connection, self-centering option and improvements in power consumption/power options and noise, could be a bit quirky. They all work fine but also do a "reset" when you power up the layout and are noisier in operation - honestly, I'll probably replace them with the newer ones over time.

2) The new IP Digitals I love, for the following reasons (not intended to be "comparisons" to Tortoise, but generally it is simply because they are the only other easily available/cost similar options for me over here.

a) Again, being DCC I like the fact they are typically powered direct from the DCC bus, BUT, I can also use DC if I choose to, they work on both without any configuration/changes.

b) Love the spring terminal connectors - just strip the necessary wires and push into place NO SOLDERING under the layout :)

c) Provided you use the template "sold separately", installation is a breeze, one large hole for the actuator and four pilot holes for mounting screws and I only have "personal" problems with double-slips as I can never exactly set the template the position/way I need it, my fault entirely.

d) Smaller than all the others I looked at, so they are just about level with the lower edge of the 1x3 baseboard frame, just a hair lower - others all are much bigger and fall below the "protected" area by about 3/4 inch or more. I have a couple of duck-under locations that are in proximity to points/motors so that was a great advantage.

e) The improved set/run switch for decoder setting is easier to use and setting the address couldn't be simpler. Also, the "IP" new version can have the throw-sense reversed, useful in a couple of cross-overs for me, as I can then set two motors to the same code and have the cross-over switch on one address.

f) Frog switching built in, and an additional switch and connectors for push-button panel control - I was intending to use them, BUT, as I now have embraced JMRI, will probably NOT.

g) EVERYTHING (except the mounting template) in the box, screws, actuator wire, precut double sided adhesive mount. Fortunately they include an additional mounting screw with each motor - I've stripped a few with over zealous mounting :(

h) Lifetime warranty - I had to "return" one as it seemed to be an ex-motor. Actually didn't even need to return it as Richard/DCC Concepts said it wasn't worth the postage, trusted me, and just sent me a new one direct from Aussie-land - excellent customer service (only a satisfied customer, not being paid-off) :)

There are other features, but several I don't use, so won't/can't comment on the usability or otherwise.

I heard of issues early on with power etc, but figured I'd try them anyway, and wasn't disappointed.

Of course I've not got a long history with them, first six installed about a year ago, latest 12 in the process of installation, but I've liked what I've seen, and they run very nicely for me.

Also, price-wise I'm getting them at $20 US apiece in packs of six from a US train store/supplier, so can hardly complain at the price for a decoder equipped motor.

Sorry Debs, an general apologies to everyone else in ER-land who might be offended by the content of this message  :O  :jester:  :senile:  

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

When I refer to the cost savings we experience I am of course including the cost of waste water disposal. Ours come as separate bills.

Tony do you get a reduction if your rainwater goes to soakaway instead of down the drain?  We get a few percent knocked off for that.  

As far as the garden is concerned we've got 5 water butts and a 5,000 litre rainwater collection tank.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Tony do you get a reduction if your rainwater goes to soakaway instead of down the drain?  We get a few percent knocked off for that.  

As far as the garden is concerned we've got 5 water butts and a 5,000 litre rainwater collection tank.

I don't but I could. It is clearly mentioned in their publications.

Our waste water/ rainwater is with Anglian, the supply is Essex & Suffolk.

• RMweb Gold

When I refer to the cost savings we experience I am of course including the cost of waste water disposal. Ours come as separate bills.

I was making the point Tony because if you look at the figure for water and think well it costs so much to wash the car water the lawn etc. You are missing the extra sewerage charge.

Mike I think our charge is about £25 if you send rainwater down the drain. At the last place it was cheaper  to direct the conservatory rainwater down the drain than to build a new soakaway ( it would have taken years to break even at £25pa). They are getting a bit tighter, if the water of the drive runs down to the road drains they may say you have to pay the charge.

When we lived out on the Wenlock Edge we had private water and no drains until we put in a septic tank. The water board charged us 95p pa environmental charge (74-79)

Don

• Like 7

Afternoon All

Again, caught up and posts read and rated.  Bad news is that I haven't got time to comment on each and every one of them, but generic greetings are as usual offered to those who need/want/deserve them.

However, since posting, Dave's latest contribution has just popped up, and again, I hope that Is gets home for the weekend, and that she is being treated as SHE and YOU want, and not according to the whims and fancies of estreanged relatives. 

Today has been a bit of a busy day, with a trip to the bank (there is still not a way of paying in certain things without visiting the branch, regardless of what the online/automation pundits would like us to believe), and also a trawl round the various sources of seciond hand railway books, where nothing was to be found.  Then was tasked with the hoovering, and the machine was not picking up properly, due to clogged filters (again).  Is once a year not enough for this unpleasant task - apparently not.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edit - to add a comment on Dave's post.

I think hoovering once a year is plenty.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Mike I think our charge is about £25 if you send rainwater down the drain. At the last place it was cheaper  to direct the conservatory rainwater down the drain than to build a new soakaway ( it would have taken years to break even at £25pa). They are getting a bit tighter, if the water of the drive runs down to the road drains they may say you have to pay the charge.

Don

Ours doesn't Don - and if they don't believe me they come and look at the bl**dy great puddle in the drive we get when it's raining heavily.

Good evening all,

POETS won't happen today - afternoon exam board.

Thoughts to Dave and Is hoping for more considered outcomes.

So a POTS day for another contributor too!

One thing about water meters is you pay twice for water use once for the supply and because the sewerage charge is also based on water drawn you pay again. This means if you do a lot of car washing or watering the garden it probably goes nowhere near the drains but your still pay for sewerage. If you are having a meter fitted it is a good time to make sure you have enough water butts. As currently we are on septic tank drainage it costs be about 60% of what it would cost you to hose the car down.

At the last place we had the steam so unless there was a drought we could get free water for the garden. The same sort of thing applies to leaks except there you are paying twice for nothing. A good way to check for a slow leak is to check your water meter before and after a holiday. So unless you have an automatic watering system or the kids come round to use things it shouldn't move

Don 

Probably an idea to leave the first tap in the house on to catch the grit early, then go round and flush the loos?

I also would like to hear your experiences with the cobalts; test show they are more bullet-proof than the tortoise!

Which model were you using?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Yestersay I moved my car and it gave a rather abrupt jolt.

I thought nothing of this and parked on another part of the drive.

This morning, I leapt in and started to drive out onto the road, and there was a lot of groaning and creaking.

I parked up again and swapped cars.

Mission accomplished at B&Q, I decided to source the fault.

On jacking the car up, I discovered the left hand spring had sheared.

Off to Vauxhall, who quoted me £118 for a pair, as they only sell springs in pairs (I agree if one goes, the other isn't far behind).

They could order in a set for next Tuesday!

I thought that the price was a a bit steep, and the time delay appalingly bad, so motored off to the local motor factors with whom I have a trade card.

A pair of springs off the shelf for £49!

So I changed the left front spring then decided to inspect a squeak on the rhs, which I suspected might be a wheel bearing............this turned out to be a slight lip on the brake disc, so that was taken off and dressed....no more squeak!

However, when I got up into the wheel arch it was pretty obvious that the front rhs spring had also failed, so I had to change that as well.

The jolt must have been me running over  a pile of frozen rabbits, recently escaped from the freezer..................Bunny's revenge no doubt!

After i'd finished this, we then went and took down the marquee we put up last Saturday:  It's finally dry.

Now it's a quick shower and off to the pub with the PH as the Obergrumpenfurer is spending the night in the old Shrewsbury Prison (It's something to do with girl guides....I didn't ask further)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 4

Morning all

Just a brief visit to commend Dave for counting to ten. Living in a pressure cooker really takes its toll, but as I've said before, you need a chance to vent your frustration, and even ERs may not be enough. I hope you have a non-virtual friend or relative to whom you can pour it all out, as that can be so cleansing, enabling you to function fully again. You are plumbing new depths of despair compared to anything some of us have suffered, and you need extraordinary resources to rise to the surface every time. And, dare I say, your own wellbeing is not to be ignored.

The Jo Cox murder needs no observations from me, except a hope that the evidence proves it was a chance event in which she was an unintended victim. The nutters in society will always be with us, but democracy implies that we may each believe what we choose. Acting it out, as it were, will always be an offence.

May your week wind up well.

Hi Ian,

Believe it or not it is much more soothing to use a group of people that I've never met as a soundboard. There is nothing to cloud your reactions and you are unlikely to have an axe to grind, whereas most people that I know in a 3D sense, are thus encumbered. Therefore you are are a much better litmus test, guiding choices/degrees of reaction to each situation.

We have a wide social circle with many willing ears, therefore the best of both worlds is readily available.

Rgds

Dave 

• Like 1