RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I was watching the news last night and there was a report about the problems they were having with the third rail electrification in Kent. Apparently the problem was that repair crews couldn't drive to the places where the problems were. It would appear that there are no emergency diesels there!

That sure would be a bad idea to not keep any diesels for this kind of thing! I guess it's cheaper for train operators to just live with this kind of disruptions on a few days per year than to provide suitable remedies... <_<

• RMweb Premium

There are a few ED's (Class 73's) in use on the erstwhile Southern Region but nowhere near the numbers we used to have back in BR days. They have been out and about but have been of limited use other than ghost trains and the odd rescue of dead units as we no longer have the cross compatibility that we used to have with the old BR(S) slam door stock.

Of course the other issue has been that trained drivers with correct traction/route knowledge have not been able to get to them (there are some GBRf ones at Tonbridge for example) to actually drive them anywhere!

• RMweb Premium

There are a few ED's (Class 73's) in use on the erstwhile Southern Region but nowhere near the numbers we used to have back in BR days. They have been out and about but have been of limited use other than ghost trains and the odd rescue of dead units as we no longer have the cross compatibility that we used to have with the old BR(S) slam door stock.

As we're talking about trains in winter anyway: Is there any departmental stock to de-ice the third rails?

• RMweb Gold

As we're talking about trains in winter anyway: Is there any departmental stock to de-ice the third rails?

I'm sure someone will know what actually happens but the news report last night (news reports about railways have been known to be not always accurate) suggested that normal but empty trains are run through the night to keep the rails clear and when there is a problem it is accessed by road. Possibly something to do with the train companies not owning the track?

• RMweb Premium

I just read that a class 140 electric has been spotted working an IC service from Bebra to Frankfurt this morning as the 120 diagrammed to work it originally had failed over night. This really was unusual as the 140 is a goods engine with a 110 kph top speed only! :blink:

• RMweb Gold

I'm now back home from the trip to the railway station. I think I now have the basics of driving an automatic in snow. I think it is actually easier than a manual. Either that or the dial you turn to "snow" makes it easy! I am glad not to be out any longer though. My wife is convinced that colleagues from inside the M25 just can't comprehend what it is like elsewhere in the country at the moment.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I'm just noticing just how great the Simple Minds still are after all those years :) . They got some of the most atmospheric songs I ever heard.

Other atmospheric songs are also available

Like a Hurricane, Neil Young

Clouds, Joni Mitchell

Its Raining Men, Geri Halliwell

Fog on the Tyne, Lindisfarne

• RMweb Gold

Well, there can't be snow everywhere ... thieves are apparently using Google Earth to spot lead on Church Roofs.

My wife's colleague wondered if she could use Google Earth to check if her builder's were actually working on her house roof that day.

• RMweb Gold
My wife is convinced that colleagues from inside the M25 just can't comprehend what it is like elsewhere in the country at the moment.

That's because it is a different country. Google have recently renamed the M25 as Autoroute britannique. Suggested new names for other roads and railways welcome... :)

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

This morning it's just -5°, which but I think is quite cold enough. I think I shall prepare some breakfast now as I have a couple of things to do today.

Have a good day everyone... :)

Morning All,

It isn't quite as cold here this morning - a mere -5°C.

Having spoken to my parents last night, it would seem that they have quite a lot more snow than we do. My Dad reckons it is the most snow they have had since 1987.

Interesting to see the discussion about third rail electrics on the Southern Region. I have just posted a comment on a photograph in the gallery - it appears that most of the Southern ground pretty much to a stop yesterday afternoon. I wonder if that snow blower that NSE bought in 1987 is still around?!?

Quite a few years ago, I was coming home from work in London on a very snowy evening - we slipped to a stop around Tunbridge Wells with the usual third rail firework display. Fortunately, we had light and heat so just sat around and waited. Before too long, a 33/2 appeared out of the night and dragged us onwards. In those days, there always seemed to be diesels kicking about. Hither Green was usually full of them, as were a number of other depots and sidings around the area. Last time I passed Hither Green it was a shadow of its former self. I think there was one shed in there, and that was about it.

To be honest, the 3rd rail has always been a disaster. However, I can't see it being converted to OHLE any time soon! Bring back the Thumpers - at least they almost always got through!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Not quite so cold today and it's not snowing (yet). Fasts broken, coffee being drunk and the heating is on in the shed ready for a bit of MK 1 coach construction. Of course as the staff are at home 'cos the schools are closed I may get diverted to drive clearing!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave