The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

No,not as yet. I'm very dehydrated, so I've been on a drip since arriving yesterday. They are testing for all sorts of viruses. One that was mentioned was Giardia. Mrs S looked it up and one of causes was unprotected anal sex ;-)I don't think so.....

• RMweb Gold

One that was mentioned was Giardia. Mrs S looked it up and...

A friend went down with Giardia infection. Hers was caused by drinking infected water in Leningrad (as it was called then).

Tony

Giardia, good old Beaver Fever as its known in Canada. Its usually carried by small mammals and ends up in lakes and streams. Been there done that, squitted out the tee shirt. Not pleasant but it generally runs its course fairly quickly.

• RMweb Gold

Giardia, good old Beaver Fever as its known in Canada. Its usually carried by small mammals and ends up in lakes and streams. Been there done that, squitted out the tee shirt. Not pleasant but it generally runs its course fairly quickly.

I'm sure Gordon will have fun explaining the beaver ...

Moving very swiftly on :lol:

Glad your patient is doing well. Is Calpol (paediatric paracetamol suspension) the answer to every childhood ailment in Germany as well or is something else suggested?

You can't get Calpol here - although I do have some in the medicine cupboard which was imported from the UK :P. You can get standard liquid paracetamol (which isn't any different, but I am reliably informed that Calpol tastes better) - but the doctor recommended ibuprofen until his fever came down. Now he's just on a mucolytic.

Prices at car parks in Basildon are higher than before but not as bad as Southend. They have replaced the pay at exit with pay before you drive out but they take all kinds of cash / notes so are even more convenient. I think the old council offices car park is now incorporated into the Westgate centre. The Sainsbury in the Eastgate is now an ASDA.

You used to take a ticket on the way in, and then pay at the machine on the way out. Still, I left Basildon in 1999 so I am sure there have been quite a few changes since then.

Yes, the council office car park is on the site of the Westgate. Last time I went to Bas, the Westgate had just opened. The place where I used to live before I moved out to Bicknacre has now been converted to a housing estate!

One of my friends, bless her, went and got me a Vodaphone dongle, so my laptop is now working....:D

As I said earlier, they don't know what the issue is as yet, but they are counting everything in and out as I guess the outs have been winning for some time. Great way to lose weight though. Only problem is that I used to be an overweight guy with a fat belly. Now my weight has gone down,but has it come off my waistline? Not bloody likely....:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

One of my friends, bless her, went and got me a Vodaphone dongle, so my laptop is now working....:D

As I said earlier, they don't know what the issue is as yet, but they are counting everything in and out as I guess the outs have been winning for some time. Great way to lose weight though. Only problem is that I used to be an overweight guy with a fat belly. Now my weight has gone down,but has it come off my waistline? Not bloody likely....:rolleyes:

Perhaps the waistline is muscle?

Are you restricted to bed or can you walk around with the drip on a stand?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

You used to take a ticket on the way in, and then pay at the machine on the way out. Still, I left Basildon in 1999 so I am sure there have been quite a few changes since then.

Yes, the council office car park is on the site of the Westgate. Last time I went to Bas, the Westgate had just opened. The place where I used to live before I moved out to Bicknacre has now been converted to a housing estate!

You still take the ticket on the way in but now pay just before you return to the car. However I think the Westgate car park is prepay. I usually use the multi-storey car park next to M&S. There is still housing going up in Basildon. Latest building seems to be flats opposite the bus garage (not the bus station) next to where the Ford dealer (SEM) used to be. They are certainly handy for the railway station!

• RMweb Premium

Gordon - sounds like you are in good hands, and yes I had a similar experience with the hospital broadband slowband internet except that when I used it, the whole box went into meltdown and the TV and phone stopped working - an internet geek in an adjoining bed explained that it was down to there being only one server and internet connection for the whole of the building that the ward was located in. Again best wishes for a speedy recovery and let's hope that you're fit to do some modelling on your return home - I'd hate to see Eastwood Town reduced to a shunting plank called Eastwood Hamlet!

As to the drip, I was on one for the first 24 hours on the ward - I had no idea how much fluid was going in, but I certainly knew how much was coming out!!!!! Ans as I was bedbound, I had to have a large supply of the cardboard bottles at the bedside.

Otherwise, Afternoon All

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Last time I was on a drip I was also somewhat delirious. Those delirious memories actually seem as "real" as genuine ones but after I returned to reality I did realise that I was in Southend and not on a tropical island during a hurricane! Septicaemia can do very funny things. I suspect whatever was being administered through various routes didn't help reality either though it did deal with the infection.

Tony

No,not as yet. I'm very dehydrated, so I've been on a drip since arriving yesterday. They are testing for all sorts of viruses. One that was mentioned was Giardia. Mrs S looked it up and one of causes was unprotected anal sex ;-)I don't think so.....

Did your GP tell you that you were having a Colonoscopy recently? Get well soon Gordon! Please!

By the way guys I heartily recommend having a real one if you are over Fifty. I've had three by now - the first two found polyps which were zapped by a laser the third they found nothing. My brother died of colon cancer which eventually wrapped around his appendix. He didn't die in agony but only because he was delirious with Morphine.....

I'm serious about this, really, that UK test where you send off a sample of poop to see if there is any blood in it is NOT cool. By the time one finds blood it is often too late.

Sorry to preach but it saved my life.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

No worries Pete, I've had a few of those ....and I am in line for another. I had my colon removed removed when I was 22, so cameras up my backside has been a bi annual event for 40 years. Funny the things we talk about on here....:)

Just started my 4th drip, which will take 10 hours to run through. All is OK, they've just got to get all the bits working again as dehydration had shut a lot of functions down.

Happy days. Thanks Stewart, Eastwood Hamlet could be a possibility after all........;)

No worries Pete, I've had a few of those ....and I am in line for another. I had my colon removed removed when I was 22, so cameras up my backside has been a bi annual event for 40 years. Funny the things we talk about on here....:)

You had it removed? What do you have then a valve in your belly button?

Seriously men have to be reminded of these things (colonoscopy) - totally painless; the worse part is the day before the event. I'm a big promotor of this over here in the 'States (and my Dr., is happy - 'cos he spends half his working life performing them at Overlook Hospital in Summit - he's one of the top guys in this country on colons!)

Do you know how you got so dehydrated?

When you get out we'll talk more of Finsbury and Clissold Parks, Seven Sister's Road and Stamford Hill........('cos I barely remember anything.......)

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Seriously men have to be reminded of these things (colonoscopy) - totally painless; the worse part is the day before the event. I'm a big promotor of this over here in the 'States (and my Dr., is happy - 'cos he spends half his working life performing them at Overlook Hospital in Summit - he's one of the top guys in this country on colons!)

Best, Pete.

They are fairly painless now but I remember when it was less sophisticated. The first one I had the pain relief was a very nice nurse holding your hand and letting you have some "gas and air" if it hurt! In later times the technique seemed to involve complete drowsiness. Now they want you relaxed but concious preferably. Also the monitor is probably HD now. I'll be off to Bart's next week and I'm sure they will book me in for an examination soon. As you mentioned, it is the day before that isn't so nice!

I go totally to sleep - after I've made the usual bad joke to my Dr. along the lines of "what's the worst job you've ever had?" (he's never heard of Derek and Clive). Yes, there were at least 6 x 42" Sony HD Monitors in the room.........

I do hate the word "Fleet" now........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know, you don't log in for a while and the old b*ggers are dropping like flies....

Took the opportunity to chat up ring Mrs S. to find out what the score is - I've asked her to pass on my best wishes but will repeat them on here - get well soon Gordon.

Your wood burner needs you.....

I'm chuckling away to myself here as I didn't want to post my whole medical history, but you guys keep asking questions and I'm quite open on these things. :D

You never know it may just put someone's mind at rest who could be facing something similar.

At 14 I got Ulcerative Colitus. No idea how or why, but hey ho, thats the best part of 50 years ago. They tried most things to sort it out, but eventually had to concede surgery was the only option....for both of us. So they removed my whole large intestine and then just joined the loose ends together. I guess it could have gone either way, but 40 odd years after surgery, it hasn't stopped me living a normal life. No special diet, no drugs, no nothing, so it's somewhat ironic that I'm having these skeletal issues.

Stamford Hill? Bowled in a league there once a week in what I think was the first 10 pin bowling alley in the UK. Of course there was Spurs every weekend, 1st team one week, reserves the next. Tottenham Royal and The Cambridge Pub on the North Circ were regular haunts when chasing the female form. A succession of Vespa's and Lambretta's and my formative years were one long party.......Not forgetting High Beach on a Sunday...

• Like 2

A lot has moved on in 50 years, Gordon.

Including, thankfully, the bits they joined up.

I tried tenpin bowling once.

Immediately got my finger stuck in a hole (here we go again) in the ball and almost brained my opponent.

Got the hang of it after a while but never took to it as a pastime.

Will you be able to watch the sport tomorrow?

I should be able to DD as the TV is working. Three minutes to midnight and believe or not they woke me about 40 minutes ago to move me to another ward......:rolleyes:

I'm assuming they needed my bed for someone far worse than me, so they've moved me from the Clinical Decision Unit to a ward. The last thing they said to is that it would be much quieter in the new ward. You little liars...:D

Of course I understand people are sick in here and you obviously to make allowances, but somehow I doubt if I'll get much sleep.... The old boy next door is clearly struggling. Either that or he is having the ###### of a lifetime.....;)

I feel a little like an undercover reporter right now...