RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining but there are a few clouds in sight. Sheila is getting ready to leave for her Zumba class and once she’s gone, I’ll continue removing the last of the distemper from the cellar walls. There isn’t a lot to do now, but it is being stubborn and is taking quite a bit of effort to shift. Once it’s done, I can then apply the waterproofing solution to the walls. 

Back later. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The bin wagons dawn chorus is in full swing as I type with both the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon and the one squealing out for lubrication.  On the subject of snoring that has been discussed recently.

10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

60400887_2204296062972567_5249411026054545408_n.jpg

As I live on my own I don't snore :rolleyes: but every now and then someone sneaks in and wakes me with a snore but I can never catch them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Currently I am plucking up the willpower to drill the 4 x 4 mm holes into the side of the kitchen cabinet in order to re-hang the door after the Obergrumpenfuhrer's act of wanton destruction last week.

In true hippodrome fashion I do all the heavy lifting and shovelling, whilst delicate hands carry out the lighter duties.

I

I have successfully rehung kitchen doors by plugging the hole with a plastic rawlplug. I have a bag of assorted plugs, one of which will fit.  

Aditi has been asking recently to find out how to do the jobs I have usually done. Yesterday it was the pressure washer.

Tony 

• Like 18

BIN day - the Mrs will have to perform the duties, hopefully sorted by now already.

Plethora of report changes at the client yesterday, they sure know how to re-invent the wheel, OFTEN! I was also informed that given they have an interim CFO, once a new permanent chap/chapess is found we can expect to redo all the reports AGAIN!:jester: 

New reports also surfacing with some frequency, how many ways can you actually report on financial data <- rhetorical.

The Orelly men started and by the end of the day Mrs sent some impressive pictures of their progress, they're certainly NOT hanging around. Here's one example...

5040-Teardown1.jpg.e5fd16b48edec9af19807e662b729dc2.jpg

Since it's unclear what the "permit" is actually required for (what they can/can't do before it's approved), I think they were/are able to start with some preliminary interior work.

The major item is removal of the wall in main view, between the living/dining area and kitchen. Since it's load-bearing, they are installing a hidden beam for support, and I suspect that's primarily what the permit is for.

What they appear to have done is remove some of the sheetrock/wallboard on the wall being removed to identify where they needed to place the support structures they've built.

I'm now guessing that's as far as they can/will go until the permit clears the review.

Off home today, enjoying the challenge that is negotiating JFK :butcher:. Hopefully, since the weather both ends is favorable it'll be less of a nightmare than the past few times.

Seaweed twirlers reveling in the more "normal" weather here, 12 and mostly sunny driving in, 20 the expected high.

The morning news team made it sound like they've been in Antarctica the past few weeks and now are in the Bahamas, excitable lot these New Yorkers :O

Enjoy the day.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 19

I had a call earlier from "B T" telling me about the illegal activity on my I P address, and that I would lose my broadband connection if I didn't press 1 for something, or 2 for summat else. . .

I didn't do either the 'phone went dead...

I called my real supplier after about an hour, and they reckon it was a SCAM! ! !

Oh well . . . . that's enough excitement for one day.

John

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

I had a call earlier from "B T" telling me about the illegal activity on my I P address, and that I would lose my broadband connection if I didn't press 1 for something, or 2 for summat else. . .

I didn't do either the 'phone went dead...

I called my real supplier after about an hour, and they reckon it was a SCAM! ! !

Oh well . . . . that's enough excitement for one day.

John

We have been getting something similar, it was 3 times a day for a couple of days. Rather British robot voice.  Caller ID was fake number, then withheld, then  International. I think they just work through an STD code hoping to snare some victims. 

• Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lightengine said:

Update to my tv repair of last week.  The engineer came and quoted John Lewis a repair bill too high.  JL declared this a BER, beyond economic repair. So 4 options were offered moi.

1.A new tv

2.Take the value of the new tv

3.Put the money towards a different tv

4.Full cash refund.

It appears that all 4 options realise the same figure, which is a figure £100 short of the purchase price nearly 5 years ago.

Option 1 only permits an extended guarantee of the remaining 5 months.

So, we agreed to pay £10 more towards a different tv and that initiates another extended 4 year JL guarantee on top of the 12 month LG guarantee.

New tv arrives next Thurs.

For the option you chose could you have selected a different make?

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Bit overcast here at the moment.

Forgot to mention. Ordered some bits from Fraggle Rock on Tuesday. Delivered here to the North West Leeds Highlands yesterday.  Excellent service.

Baz

The service is only as good as the courier used to get the package from source to customer. Once the parcel has left the source, they have no control on where it goes or how long it takes to get to its destination. Couriers DO make mistakes!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

For the option you chose could you have selected a different make?

They offered me a Samsung but as we are happy with LG apart from its failing, we decided to take an LG.  I compared online and they are very good in comparison.

The engineer on Saturday said that they replace screens across the whole of the manufacturers because of the backlighting problem.  Ours just showed bright highlights.  It looks like an on screen sun is shining but doesn't really spoil the picture.  But he said some screens go completely dark.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 12

42 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Not only for TVs but just about anything these days, we just replace!  I don't think there are any TV repair places around here anyway.  If the fridge goes; are you going to let all the frozens spoil waiting for the repairman?  Same with the washer and dryer and the dishwasher, all those clothes and dishes need to be washed.  In the UK, before coming here, I was a TV engineer covering most of Devon and Cornwall and even then could provide better service than what's available here today.

Brian.

LG quoted me £350+ to replace the screen.  John Lewis, the retailer said the repair quote they were given was too much.

I was happy with a repair but no choice.

Devon has changed since then Brian.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Not only for TVs but just about anything these days, we just replace!  I don't think there are any TV repair places around here anyway.  If the fridge goes; are you going to let all the frozens spoil waiting for the repairman?  Same with the washer and dryer and the dishwasher, all those clothes and dishes need to be washed.  In the UK, before coming here, I was a TV engineer covering most of Devon and Cornwall and even then could provide better service than what's available here today.

Brian.

Electronics have become so sophisticated and reduced to such a level (one microchip does the lot for each appliance) that there is nothing to economically replace.

Whereas it used to be the case of replacing a faulty transistor, diode or resistor, now so much now relies upon the minimal number of microchips one can get away with. To replace one of however many there may be in each appliance is way more expensive than a new appliance given today's mass production techniques.

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just found out that my old house in Romford is going to be demolished. In fact the entire estate including two tower blocks is scheduled for demolition. Rather surprising as they were well built houses constructed as recently as 1962. The replacements will be high density flats, more dwellings but much smaller.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Electronics have become so sophisticated and reduced to such a level (one microchip does the lot for each appliance) that there is nothing to economically replace.

Whereas it used to be the case of replacing a faulty transistor, diode or resistor, now so much now relies upon the minimal number of microchips one can get away with. To replace one of however many there may be in each appliance is way more expensive than a new appliance given today's mass production techniques.

There are examples of that in all trades.  My dad was a time served plumber and one of the many skills he had was reseating valves in taps.  I still have the tools he would use.  Towards the end of his working life it was easier and cheaper just to replace the whole tap.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10