The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening All 

The dog walking was uneventful today when most of the other walker see the nutter and they turn off track I do the same paths criss cross these woods so it's easy to avoid other dogs.

Here is a few photo's from this morning's walk 

1+2. Zeus guarding the fence you can see how his legs are developing , 3  doing the washing up,  4 that's the steam off a big dump he had in the woods now 7 months old and only half his fully grown size you can just see his muzzle in this shot, spot the squirrel.

IMG_20191203_112646649_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.e419996b6836e26c17e1356a281c9a90.jpgIMG_20191203_112655264.jpg.825a1213d80ea5a7350b96a3ffeb7024.jpgIMG-20191203-WA0000.jpeg.aedc60419a867fc0444b35bafbde6dc3.jpegIMG_20191204_114518385.jpg.ff26b83c9f77ffa8f825c406c3ef3b18.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, TheQ said:

I've no idea if it fooled her but in my befuddled state this morning it has me fooled. 

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare sort of. 

I've had a terrible nights sleep,  and arrived on the sofa at around 02:00.

And been intermittently dozing since. 

I was fully dozed,  when Ben the alarm clock Collie got me up,  I got my boots and coat on,  offered him out and he refused.. He was just trying to say I should be going to work.  He has returned to his bed,  and shortly I'll try for more sleep. 

Flood risk,  is excluded from many properties in the whole Norfolk broads and coastal areas. It makes insurance more expensive for many more.   It was one of the things that made my choice of house. Being on a Norfolk mountain mole hill, certainly keeps the bills down. 

Yesterday I had a sneezing fit,  this morning I've woken with a sore throat,  and just had a coughing session.  Hopefully this isn't flumarktwo, which appears to be mentioned n some forums to those that had that several cold earlier in the year. .

Being a good zomerzet boy,  I leave you with this.. 

What a load of carp those 3 are almost as bad as a bunch of Morris dancers in their cabbage suits. :jester::jester::jester:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

A quietish day after the "interesting" start but no parcel has appeared. Never mind, tomorrow's another day.

I was going to go to Peterborough accompanied by Her Bossness and had even booked a room at the Brampton Hut (Premier Inn) but due to last Friday's mishap we've decided it might be best to stay closer to home until I've seen the doctor.  The earliest routine appointment I can get is the week after next although I could get one sooner if it becomes urgent. Luckily I decided on the Flexi booking so have managed to cancel the room without penalty. I'm a bit disappointed because I spent some of my early years in Brampton and was hoping to visit the pub where we lived.

The tooth continues to niggle so on Monday started on the Metronidazole which means no booze for a week. Probably won't do me too much harm. :rolleyes: Possibly?

I've worn a wedding ring until earlier this year but can longer get it on my finger - or if I do can't get it off! I had it stretched a few years ago so not sure if that can be done again.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Aditi and I both had wedding rings but neither of us have worn one for about 40 years now. Mine kept dropping off when I was really ill and lost a lot of weight. It probably would be tight now. Aditi damaged hers in a fall at about the same time. Once a former colleague told her as a married woman she was “misleading men” by not wearing a ring. She told him he was an idiot. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, 81C said:

What a load of carp those 3 are almost as bad as a bunch of Morris dancers in their cabbage suits. :jester::jester::jester:

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

So, no GDB or Stationmaster at Pboro on Sunday - shame!

Electrical accessories arrived just after the appointed window , which is ok as I am not desperate. What was not ok was that the specific outdoor cable I wanted was out of stock and has no date to be back in stock. This meant a trip to two local outlets before I could get a replacement (at higher cost of course). Tonight's meal was another case of his and hers, she had a couple of fish cakes whilst I made myself a paella. After a little cheese and Ryvita biscuits, I have now poured a decent measure of a Highland whisky to be savoured alongside a coffee. Other important events of the day in the KZ household were

When we got married, we exchanged rings. I didn't wear mine when working with any rotating machinery and would remove it in the car when I was called to customers' factories. On one occasion, I removed the ring and placed it in a toolbox in the boot of my car. Despite much searching and removing all the panels within the car, I never found it again (much to Lady KZ's dismay, she still thinks I lost it deliberately). I'm sure that car has long since gone to the crusher so the ring has no doubt been melted down.

Sympathies to those suffering and to those supporting sufferers too...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

24 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

So, no GDB or Stationmaster at Pboro on Sunday - shame!

No Chrisf either, not that anyone asked.  Going to Manchester and back on Saturday will take a lot out of me.

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, chrisf said:

No Chrisf either, not that anyone asked.  Going to Manchester and back will take a lot out of me.

Chris

I had read of your commitment to the Manchester event Chris so didn’t expect you could be in two places at the same time. Have a good time.

PS - I did ask earlier if anyone was going.

Edited by Kingzance
Update
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. AGM went well and then we retired for tea and mince pies. Still looking for a venue/date for next years show which will probably be later in the year (Oct/Nov) and likely as not a one day show. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

I would suggest in such instances to take the driver to the Small Claims Court - costs next to now't and dead easy.  For two hundred a fifty quid their insurance company will roll over and pay out "as a gesture of goodwill" and all that b****x.  It'd cost them loads more than that just to defend it

Regrettably, it was MY insurer who would not repay the excess, as the other driver did a runner, and also the CCTV was not clear enough to trace the offender's registration.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Good morning one and all

Yesterday I received my flu jab.  By good fortune I caught an earlier bus than was strictly necessary and Nurse Jane did her bit 25 minutes earlier than the booked time.  I can’t bring myself to refer to her as the “practice nurse”!  Roundhouse, I note what you say about getting these jabs at the chemist.  What happened with me was that I received two simultaneous letters inviting me to contact the surgery for an appointment, so I did.  Would I have been seen 25 minutes early at the chemist?  Who knows?

The next stop was the bank.  I have ordered a modest quantity of Swiss francs to top up the supply that I have.  I could just as easily wield my no-fees-overseas credit card and may well do so when the occasion is suitable – charging my bar bill to the room, for instance.  That was a bit of a shock to the system last year!  Blame Erdinger Weissbier, which is very moreish.  I also withdrew some cash over the counter from a human being, which was a pleasant change indeed.  I wonder if my friend Harry has thought of that as a way of cutting back on his use of technology?

The ironing did not get done yesterday.  It will have to wait until I return from a village near Peterborough where I will be having lunch with a friend today.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

I may have mentioned before: My father went to an RCAF reunion dinner. The menu list concluded "and one brussels sprout". 

Have you read "Boys, Bombs and Brussels Sprouts" by J. Douglas Harvey? It's an account of an RCAF pilot's experiences in the UK during WW2. He mentions a pub in Yorkshire which they would visit by rowing a boat across a river near their base. In the 1970s, I worked with the granddaughter of the landlord of that pub, and she said he had strong memories (both good and sad) of the Canadians.

Edited by pH
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner temple Hare, 1095/685

6 hours only interrupted by wake up and roll overs  plus unspecified semi dozing,  good sleep really.

Cold but not frosty very damp, but very dark. Ben definitely didn't want out.

Working in Electronics all my life, I've never worn jewellery of any sort except my medical tag around my neck under my Shirt. We were forbidden to wear metal framed glasses in the RAF radar buildings / vehicles.

No more shows for me this year, one day I'll make Peterborough, it's a similar distance to Spalding. But at the moment I have to much on. The next show for me normally  is a small one just south of Norwich, early next year, but I've found no trace of it looking ahead. It has been a disappointment for the last two years, which was sad because it was good before then.

With not being in yesterday, I don't know if the boss processed the results of the cross check run I left going on Tuesday, So I have to go investigate that, then there are 3, 1 G ohm resistors  to measure, and another  temperature meter.

Time to... Check the company spam first.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

SWMBO had entertained ideas of seeing the Rockefeller Christmas tree lit. That happened tonight and was on television. Show started at 8 and lasted to 10. We turned it off with the first "musical" act.  

Good call sir.

36 minutes ago, Robert said:

Many years ago, a colleague had a very nasty workplace accident involving a wedding ring and a high current supply, so I always remove it. 

Silicone rubber rings are quite popular as a substitute for people who feel the missing ring (or want to be seen wearing one) without the dangerous conductive (electrical and heat) effects. They are also less dangerous with rotating equipment since they will stretch and not sever the finger.

Flat tyre

My commiserations gents. Changing a tyre in the wet is a tedious thing.

My friend (whose basement room we are jointly decorating as befits the Olympian Hiawatha) has a compressor in his garage. My tyre pressure warning is, for now, a thing of the past, without having to stand on the apron of the petrol station feeding quarters into a slot and trying not to drag the heavy rubber hose over my paintwork.

I have a minor first world problem to share from my day today.

Yesterday I completed inking and sealing all my seasonal greeting cards intended for the antipodes. Instead of using the "International Forever" stamps (a present value of US$1.15)  I decided to use up some interesting, regular first class "Forever" stamps (value of US$0.55). Each envelope was carefully stamped with two first class forever stamps and a five cent stamp bringing the total to $1.15. Even though I was confident that they would all pass muster (not too big, not too fat, not too rigid, not too oddly sized, and under 1 oz)* I dutifully took my bundle to the Post Office. Even though the US Postal Service has pretty specific guidelines, (and sizers) their employees often make remarkably variable decisions about postage.**

* I have been informed (sometimes inaccurately) that my mail has contravened one of each of these at some point

** One year at the branch close to home I was told that bulky "pop-up" cards with an enclosed circular letter had to be sent at package rates (absurdly expensive for a small envelope) instead of excess postage letter rates. My preferred branch near my old abode told me that office didn't know what they were talking about and charged me "normal" excess postage letter rate.

The person at the Post Office counter informed me that I had a problem, saying that this very day, the international rate changed to $1.20. Of course this was easily solved by the purchase of additional five cent stamps, and solved for less than a dollar.  What is funny/ironic is that had I chosen the "International Forever" stamps (already in my possession) I would have been spared the hassle.  Furthermore I cannot find anything online indicating that the Postal Service has increased the international rate - there is a USPS page indicating a rate increase on January 26, 2020. I am now left with a mystery. Was the USPS employee misinformed? Has the USPS not made an online announcement of the rate change?

Signed, perplexed at the post office.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Tried to wish you all goodnight bbut no RMWeb available. 

I am off to Peterborough with Shap. Shame you can't make it Mr &Mrs GDB.

Kingzance..our paths will cross at the Show.

Peterborough is ok to get too if you live close to the ECML but crosscountry takes ages.

Two of my second hand items with new motors were tested at the club last nigh..fine! So one should be visiting Shap during the weekend. 

Two aircaft carriers in dock at the same time..ooh err..but do they both leak??

Still feeling less than 100% but hey ho just getonwithit!

Off to sort out seats for the yorks v lancs T20, buy some LED light strips, post a parcel and do some accounts. Then i need to transfer some money to Gabe. Busy day coming up.

Today should be a JDI day for all ERs. Positive thoughts to all who ail or are missing 

Baz

• Like 18