RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Showing your age there Q, we went metric a long time ago you know, well the rest of the world did, but I didn't either, always converted mm to inches so I had an idea just how big it was lol

ps I'm on Thatchers Haze just now.......................thankfully not "that" family of Thatchers......................................)

The house is 1906, the sheets of ply are supplied 8ft by 4ft  all made in imperial. So I measure in imperial.  If the house had been made in metric measurements, I would probably have used that.

However, generally,  if it's below a foot I might use mm, if it's below an inch I almost always use mm.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

ps I'm on Thatchers Haze just now.......................thankfully not "that" family of Thatchers......................................)

Got to say that I prefer Katy myself, and that's what I'm drinking at the moment - I do like my cider to have a bit of a kick to it - and at 7.4% ABV, it has - but then I only drink one bottle a day, but it has the effect of two.

Afternoon All

Trip to Kendal was a waste of time as far as I was concerned, and the fact that we had to return for a house viewing at 3.00, and another at 3.30 meant that we had to rush home anyway.  The guy from the estate agent didn't show up until about ten minutes after the appointment, by which time I was half way through the viewing anyway, as the person who wanted to view the house was on time, and came to the door.  He did not have a 3.30 appointment on his sheet, so rang the office, and they advised him that the viewing was cancelled - and had been for three hours, but they had not actually notified us - well I sense a rant coming on on Monday to the manager.

Anyway, not all posts read today, due to the time wasting estate agent.  However, generic greetings are proferred to all who are ailing or celebrating.  And Chrisf - nice to have you back in the fold.  I hope that your "experts" haven't charged you too much (or at all, as it sounds as if they didn't really know what they were doing.

A6 car boot tomorrow as a buyer, not a seller.  Another 6.00 am rise.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
correction of type of cider and strength
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Hedge height reduced. Tried to apply for a garden refuse bin but was refused since  they are not taking new applications this month!

38 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The house is 1906, the sheets of ply are supplied 8ft by 4ft  all made in imperial. So I measure in imperial.  If the house had been made in metric measurements, I would probably have used that.

However, generally,  if it's below a foot I might use mm, if it's below an inch I almost always use mm.

Bet you don't!! If you model in 00 gauge, you're either using Code 100 or Code 75 rail; Code 100 = 100 / 1000 of an inch high (100 thou), Code 75 = 75 / 1000 inch (75 thou)!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

However, reviewing the photo, perhaps the 'width' of the roof is less than the width of the roofing felt, in which case, the felt from the left side will equally overlap that on the right!!

Correct.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Aditi wondered whether the shed floor was rotten too. I didn’t think so but after finishing the roof I lifted the rubber flooring. The floorboards were fine. I think the stain may have been caused by chainsaw oil. I will put the saw on some sort of tray when we put everything back in the shed. 
Aditi has been over to Enfield to see her Mum. The day here was pleasant and dry as forecast so I took advantage of the weather to do the shed. 
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi wondered whether the shed floor was rotten too. I didn’t think so but after finishing the roof I lifted the rubber flooring. The floorboards were fine. I think the stain may have been caused by chainsaw oil. I will put the saw on some sort of tray when we put everything back in the shed. 
Aditi has been over to Enfield to see her Mum. The day here was pleasant and dry as forecast so I took advantage of the weather to do the shed. 
Tony

The oil spill will probably stop the floorboards from rotting anyway. I've known a few people who have in the past used old engine oil for preserving wood.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

' evening all from red dragon land.

Toot on the flute went better than expected this morning with "All the pretty little horses" lullaby played off by heart and more or less faultless (by my playing standards, anyway). "Thula baba" not quite there yet. Bits from Pi are starting to emerge from the fife as the tune seeps into my system - I had said, before, there was a 30 minute extended version of the lullaby. What I had not mentioned was that there is an extended one which is an hour long and I do not tire of it. Amazing! Lovely.

A lot of work to do on the TV Judge theme: I still mess up on the E flat - a judgement call, covering half a hole - and at change of sections which is a continuity issue. The moon tune goes alright until I get to the fast scale runs which are improving bit by bit, the main problem mainly due to changes in direction up down up and vice versa, the changes occurring around tricky finger combinations. What's new?

Before lunch, I was already to step out into the garden - and, yes, it started to rain. Not heavy stuff but still wet.

...a few hours later, it dried up and the buddleia was cut down, dug up, and placed in the garden waste bin. Thereafter, quite a lot of weeding was accomplished.

Thanks again for the comments about the 'weed's and wasp/hornet...

• Like 18

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Absolutely. Same here. The “unofficial” ones in my case may or may not require the use of one or two extended fingers :jester:

Were there any unofficial signals between bus drivers where you worked? Our drivers had several, despite it being a disciplinary offence to use hand signals not specified in the Highway Code.

• Like 12

Good evening, as it seems to be!

A question and request for advice, if I may, please:

I have recently been referred to Cardiology at my local hospital and I seek a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure measurer!) which I can use to record the necessary parameters before transferring them to a spreadsheet for the consultants.

I currently have a Boots branded one which, whilst storing some 60 results, is unable to export them by means other than pen and paper!

Does anyone know of a device which will record the parameters and allow them to be electronically transferred, please?

Any advice very much appreciated; health is (slightly) important!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Friendly/supportive 12

10 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Stopped in a very long queue a couple of days ago on the M1 around the north Derbyshire / Nottinghamshire border when I was passed by both a BMW and an Audi - both grey in colour with hidden flashing blue lights in the grill travelling on the hard shoulder and followed a few minutes later by a grey Volvo estate also with blue lights - then two 'normal' police cars (both BMWs) and two Highways Agency Traffic Patrol 4x4s. Almost immediately the queue started moving and we found all seven vehicles parked on a slip road of the next junction with no apparent cause for the delay.

Point to remember - unmarked cars all seem to be grey and two thirds are Audi / BMW . . . . . 

I remember being on the M5 in Gloucestershire many years ago when some kind of sports car (sorry that is about the limit of my knowledge) in the fast lane shot by me at great speed. I thought 'he must be in a hurry' as he must have been doing well over 100mph. A couple of minutes later a police car with its blue lights flashing came by in the fast lane at similar speed. 

A few miles further up the road near the next exit, I could see the police car on the hard shoulder with what appeared to be the high speed sports car in front. 'Gotcha' I thought, but as I approached the cars, the sports car driver's door opened and out stepped a uniformed policeman. Strange goings on in them there parts. 

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Cricket has been umpired. Cold and very o e sided.

We had a mini , 4 metros (one was a new City version), a new Maestro a new Montego, followed by a 2nd hand Rover214, then a company Rover 216 GTI, A Peugeot 406 estate, a rovers 316GSi, a Passat estate then a aMondeo Ghia estate. These were followed by 2 Honda Civics and now the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

Worst car..the Peugeot it was made from Cardboard, best one.. the outlander.

The Rovers were reliable but the Maestro had its moments!

Baz

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I have recently been referred to Cardiology at my local hospital and I seek a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure measurer!) which I can use to record the necessary parameters before transferring them to a spreadsheet for the consultants.

I currently have a Boots branded one which, whilst storing some 60 results, is unable to export them by means other than pen and paper!

I've been using an Omron M7 Intelli IT which is very good and I understand you can pair with a Smartphone although I've never done that - I just record the results in the spreadsheet as I take them (Until this week it was 3 sets of obs/day but I've been able to cut it right back now :)).   I've been doing blood pressure, pulse rate (in my case a very "interesting" and dramatic factor at one point!) and O2 level.  

https://medaval.ie/docs/manuals/Omron-HEM-7322T-E-Manual.pdf

HTH

Alan

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Does anyone know of a device which will record the parameters and allow them to be electronically transferred, please?

I have a  “Braun ExactFit 5 Connect Smart Blood Pressure Monitor “. The previous quite old Lloyds Pharmacy model we had was ok but for high blood pressure was a bit severe when pumping!The Braun model can transfer readings by Bluetooth. After I bought it my readings had been lowered considerably due to medication and wasn’t required to monitor much. I had a pulse oximeter too. After stenting and medication my results are much more “normal”. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The Swiss have a saying: “the older the money the harder it is to see”  something I can corroborate from personal experience.  For a while, the surgeon attending to my rather complicated knee problems was a gentleman who - I later found out - was/is one of THE family that owned a multi billion dollar Pharma company.  And yet, to the uninformed eye, he seemed like a modestly well off, hard-working surgeon (he eventually stepped back somewhat from his medical duties because his Pharma company responsibilities were increasing).

Nice bloke as well.

iD

Had a friend at school whose grandad owned a first division (before the premier league was inaugurated) and later had a university named after him. It was obvious that the family didn’t find it necessary to spend their fortune on fancy cloths and fast cars. Probably a good job regarding the latter as I wrapped one of them round a lamp post. 

All the family members I met were really down to earth but only saw grandad John from a distance, he was driving his own car, an Austin 7 iirc.

Robert

Robert

• Like 17

14 hours ago, polybear said:
21 hours ago, brianusa said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-58146288

What prompts Brits to do this kind of thing on holiday?:angry:

Brian.

Being Pondlife, coupled with too much Lager probably.  Not sure I can see the "£2000 of damage though" - the vast majority of what's in the pool appears to be plastic, apart from one wooden table that is designed and treated to live outside and get wet anyway.

I get that part, but its the principle of the thing; the fact that someone feels entitled to destroy someone else's property!

Brian.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The foxes in the back garden  were a bit noisy earlier. The same three as before, I think they are a dog fox and two vixens. The two slightly smaller ones (the vixens?) are more timid than than the dog fox. I just hope that they do not find anywhere in my garden suitable as a den. Someones started letting off fireworks nearby but it seems to have ceased. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Evening all . . .Easington Colliery held  a MINER'S PICNIC  today on the site of the old colliery . . .and very good it was too . . although, being so close to the North Sea,

it cooled down as the afternoon wore on.

Beer tent was . . . not good. I'll say no more.

Music was excellent . .A couple of local (North-East) acts .

Mt up with a "marra" and a few acquaintances. . . . and managed to avoid a cousin even though eldest "dowta" told her I was on site. . . 

A good day with no rain. . . . 

Keep smiling, everyone.

John

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Boat turned and spring cleaned inside. Engine serviced (in the p!ssing it down rain) and all is good for ABH weekend when a short trip to Burton is on the cards.

More outdoor stuff done at home followed by pizza and beers in the Summershed.

Time fir pudding and coffee now,  then bed.

Goodnight all! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2