Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

JohnDMJ - enjoy your holiday!

Thanks! I'll give it my best shot! Playing Swiss trains at 1000mm:1m scale (12":1ft, if you prefer) should be fun.

Have yourself a good Christmas, too!

Have a nice trip, John! B) Will be out railfanning myself later today.

Thanks, and enjoy yourself later!

"Playing Swiss trains at 1000mm:1m scale"

It's a hard life!

But someone has to do it!

(BTW ChrisF is on the same tour so between us we should be able to find some photos!)

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Been around for a while but haven't got as far as posting, honest! Dogs walked, coffee drunk and now for the big decision of the day, work from home or drive into the office. Nothing in the diary so maybe I'll do the office bit tomorrow.

Long time since I drove an original Mini. Can't say I ever particularly liked them but they certainly have heaps more character than most modern small cars. I did spend 6 weeks touring around Europe in a 15 year old Mini traveller back in my mis-spent younger days. That included a trip to the Munich Oktoberfest where mysteriously I lost a complete day!

Cheers

Dave

Morning all...Apologies for my tardiness. Have I missed anything?....

Still bloomin' cold but no new snow. Just hard packed ice across the drive.

Had three mini's over various years in my youth. Real fun cars which were considered fast in the mid '60's. Had a few brown trouser moments though, particularly when you had to pump the brake pedal to get the thing to stop.....biggrin.gif

Been engrossed in a problem since 6am. Like you Dave, been point building over the weekend with a replacement long curved point, which has been proving troublesome for some stock. Decided to bite the bullet and scrap the old one and build a new one from scratch. Most stuff now runs well except my FiaTrains 10000, which has a long 6 wheeel bogie and little play in the axles. So I've been tweaking a bit here and a bit there. Widened the gauge by a fraction and now about to play with various check rail designs and dimensions. Too tight and it binds on the back of the wheels, too loose and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

I'm getting close, but sods law says I'll get it right for this loco and the Hornby/Bachmann ones will be an issue....

If all else fails, I'll just have to ban that loco from using the reverse loop.....or sell the bloomin' thing.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - I'm going to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and peaceful New Year a bit early as I shall probably be offline for quite a while. Once again my laptop has imploded and I think that it's terminal this time. I shall have to work out how to afford a new one, it's something I hadn't bargained for so probably won't be able to eat for a month or two. Unfortunately a lot of my life is on that computer, so will have to remember how I did without it. I'm on the one in the library at the moment, very slow but at least I can check a few things.

Have a good one!

"probably won't be able to eat for a month or two"

I could handle that. It's not being able to maintain the alcohol level in my blood stream that would be the problem.

Happy Christmas to you and yours Phil and an internet connected New Year.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Update - made the mistake of taking my credit card to PC World. This is being posted on my new Compaq Presario 17" widescreen 4mb RAM 320 GB laptop which cost less than a third of the price of my old one four and a half years ago, and much, much less than Gordon's Australian garrett!!. Most of my stuff is backed up on my external hard drive so haven't lost too much. happy Days!!

• RMweb Gold

Great to hear you're back on line Phil....

That was some bargain you picked up there!icon_thumbsup2.gif

.....but does your laptop whistle and smoke?

The old one did, which is why I had to get rid of it.....

I had many minis before being forced by changes of family circumstances to get larger vehicles, however I'm back (for the last couple of years) to the modern equivalent, wheel at each corner, point it where you want to go, fun drive - The Ford SportKa - small, fast, and fun is back in driving!

Evening all.....

Day started off well but then some white fluffy stuff fell from the sky. Every man, woman and anyone :) else who had a car/truck/van then took to the roads around Basingstoke to enjoy being stuck for long periods of time. gave up trying to drive home and walked to the railway station and caught the train. jst had a phone call from one of my team who left London at 14:00 and still has not made it to his digs in Basingstoke

Cheers

Guest Max Stafford

Good morning Don. Temperature here is 1 degree and there's an inch or so of fresh overnight snow. Yesterday was a ,mixture of hail, sleet and wet snow, but this is now proper stuff. I like it, so much better than all the rain, wind and gloom of the previous month! Looks like Phil landed on his feet with the new laptop.

Dave.

Morning All,

Got the Mini registered yesterday - so once the weather improves a little bit, I'm off to find some twisty roads! :lol:

The temperature has thankfully gone above freezing now. My drive to work was interesting though, the roads are currently a mixture of snow and black ice. Fortunately, most people were driving sensibly. Saw a couple of fender-benders but had no trouble myself.

Yesterday evening another load of snow came down and it is certainly many years since we have had this much snow in this area. A couple of years ago we had 20cm in an hour, but in another two hours it was all gone. This snow has been around since Friday.

The -18?°C was much too cold - I actually had frozen pipes in my bathroom - fortunately they have now thawed out without any damage!

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

Good grief that was a fun afternoon! Sounds like the South East / Thames Valley got the short straw.

Had a call from my daughter last night at 5pm. They had left London at 2.30 and got to Maidenhead, a journey that would normally be less than an hour. They then spent three and a half hours between junction 8/9 and 10 which is about 10 miles. Finally arrived here at 9pm....

The fact that they were supposed to be going to Cardiff is another story...smile.gif

Hopefully they'll continue their journey today before coming back home for Christmas.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Above freezing here as well, though there's a weather warning about freezing rain. Should be fun if it should indeed occur. Luckily we made all our purchases yesterday, so there shouldn't be any problems. Just about starting to light up outside - at least we are beyond the winter solstice now! :)