Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all!

Slept rather late today. I'm down at my parents' and there are blackout curtains in my room! Going to have to leave them partly open or set an alarm!

Dominik - I'll have to reply to your pm when I work out what all those acronyms mean! ;)

Not sure what the plan for today is. I think Mum is planning to visit Metro Centre for shopping. I think if the queues are anything like those mentioned on the Boxing Day national news at Metro (45 minute queue in Next), I'd rather hack my hand off with a rusty saw...!

Dad tried to take my car to get his papers on Saturday. I looked out of the window to find him revving the engine like an F1 car with the wheels spinning on the ice in the drive and the car going nowhere. By the time I'd made it outside, he had the bonnet up, with smoke coming out and a very unpleasant smell! Blooming boy racer... Think he might have partially burnt out my clutch!

• RMweb Gold

I've finally managed to make it to the computer. It is dry and sunny here. I've just been up to the shops to buy a birthday card for a friend. There were a lot of empty shelves that had held Christmas cards but very few birthday cards (and very few "appropriate" ones). It is very quiet here today, my wife is studying, Matthew is revising, I'm not sure what my mother is doing. We had a nice day in Enfield yesterday but the bit of the M25 we joined seemed stationary so we left at the A12 and went the "pretty" way. Sat nav not necessary as my wife seemed to know the route via every pub between Harold Hill and Epping Forest.

Tony

I know what you mean Tony - I have a few friends and family who have birthdays around this time of the year and it is always difficult to find cards. I usually find it best to keep a small stock of appropriate birthday cards!

The weather has been quite reasonable this morning, so I went out for a bike ride (more details in the cycling thread), then it is off to the supermarket this afternoon. I have got friends coming to lunch tomorrow, so I had better get some stuff in.

What happened with the cricket, Don?

Everything is electric here - no gas supply in the village.

A near neighbour had a power outage for 14 hours yesterday - not pleasant in 'current' conditions.

I have an idea that our portable gas heater will be useful shortly.

Gordon's wood burner looks an even more an attractive proposition.

If it wasn't for cleaning out the ashes I'd already have invested in one.

Plenty of untended woodland locally and I have a chainsaw.

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

Sky looks quite clear right now, but it's cold outside at around -3?°. Hope it stays clear for a while as I found a nice photo spot yesterday which but I could not really use due to bad weather!

We'll be having some guests for dinner tonight and will most likely fix pasta with pesto :) .

Hi Dd,

England ended the day yesterday having established a good lead. Lots more runs available today. I am not optomistic as to our chances.

Keep warm in front of your fires!

Had an unpleasant shock this morning. I have been corresponding with a Lecturer in Law in Germany for the past 6 years or so. Mostly banter of the same sort as we indulge in here. His last letter to me was on 24/11/09.

A letter from his sister this morning was headed "Thilo is dead" and went on to say he had comitted suicide on 06/12 and in his letter to his sister requested that I be informed. No other information!

Not a nice start to the day!

Good grief Don, what a terrible start to the day....Hopefully some more information will follow.

Cleaning out the ashes DD, is an every three of four day task and takes all of a minute or two. Hardly demanding, even for me.....The thing is the amount of ash is very small and is only a grey powder as the burn heat is high.

Can't recommend one highly enough.....and they are not so far from you.

Clearview

Morning all. Sorry to hear that news Don, not a nice way to start the day.

Dd - we've just had a light covering overnight. Has the predicted foot of snow arrived yet in Wales? Good luck keeping warm.

Gordon - my parents' house is rather cold in places and I mentioned a wood-burning stove. Tried to find the picture you'd posted but 90 pages was rather a lot to search through! A search for "stove" mostly brought up Stove R results! Could you post a link to the manufacturers' website, please?