Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning one and all....

Friday and on my own as Mrs S goes off to her Mums for the day....Trying hard not to appear too happy.cool.gif

A bit more layout work with any luck....

The deep freeze didn't do my car any good. Filled up the washer bottle yesterday and it was empty seconds later. That will teach me to add something to the water.

Could be back to the old days with a squeezy bottle and having to open the window to squirt the screen...biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

I went just after Christmas to pick up some "Gorm" shelves for the garage - but Ikea were Gormless :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We're just planning to look for some curtains, though (and have a dish of k?¶ttbullar for lunch, perhaps ;) ).

• RMweb Premium

It was a few years ago, but IIRC I attributed a wicket to the Substituted wicket keeper!

Oh - welcome to Early Risers, Claude! Don't recall seeing you here before.

No, that was my first.

Nasty, cold and damp this morning...but here I am sitting in a nice warm office....horray!unsure.gif

Drive into work was made more interesting by Mrs Dreyfus' car reaching 100,000 miles. It's not an easy task trying to photograph the odometer whilst moving (I was the passenger before you ask!). Co-incidentally, her car reached 100,000 miles at the exact same spot as mine did two years previously - crossing the old Horsham to Guildford railway near Horsham.

The deep freeze didn't do my car any good. Filled up the washer bottle yesterday and it was empty seconds later. That will teach me to add something to the water.

Oh dear! Hope it can be sorted out without having to dismantle half of the front of the car.

In my car the washer bottle is buried down somewhere inside the inner wing - ridiculous!

Still, a cracked washer bottle is better than a cracked block :icon_eek:

Could be expensive, Gordon.

Had to replace the radiator here.

My own fault.

More anti freeze than water in it now.

You may be right, DD. Just phoned the garage half expecting it to be an engine out job, but relieved? to hear they just take out the wheel arch. Still sounds like 3-4 hours labour plus materials, so ??400-??500 could be on the horizon....blink.gif

Never had that happen in all the years I've been driving....

I ended up doing the labour myself on the radiator.

Only a few minutes work plus fiddling about.

Saved about ??70.

Would it interest you to try it?

Presumably the wheel arch is bolted inside and a replacement bottle can be obtained.

Is there a Haynes type manual available?

Here speaketh a graduate of the School of Know Nothing.

• RMweb Gold

I've had washer bottles leak but not usually because they are frozen, just poor moulding. Fortunately French cars seem to be designed to cope with inclement weather. The washer pump did fail on my wife's Clio and the manual suggested removing quite a lot of body trim to get at the pump but I managed to reach it (just). My car passed the MOT on Wednesday so I didn't have to start thinking about a replacement yet.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I ended up doing the labour myself on the radiator.

Only a few minutes work plus fiddling about.

Saved about ??70.

Would it interest you to try it?

Presumably the wheel arch is bolted inside and a replacement bottle can be obtained.

Is there a Haynes type manual available?

Here speaketh a graduate of the School of Know Nothing.

I can't remember which of my cars (not a BMW possibly the Astra) had the washer bottle in the wheelarch but after removing the wheel and plastic wheelarch liner it was recommended to rivet the liner back. It probably was the Astra as the 2litre engine and gearbox completely filled the engine bay.

Tony

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, It's Friday whoopee! I would have thought you would be an expert on leaky plumbing by now Gordon. Surprised the German manufacturers haven't put in some gizmo to allow for frozen contents. Seem to remember one of my Beemers sprung a leak in the washer system but all it needed was to refit a hose somewhere.

Cheers

Dave

Many years ago, I would have happily stripped my Cooper S down to the last nut and bolt, but those days have gone. Of course it may well be just a pipe come loose, but I put in 5 litres yesterday and it was gone within minutes. I'm assuming the bottle is split as I had filled it to the brim just before the cold weather and it took some time to fill yesterday from the garage water hose, so may just have been going straight through without me realising.

I'll wait till it stops raining and venture under the bonnet with a torch...

Bloomin' cars. So much for German engineering...

Edit: It had stopped, so looked under the bonnet. No chance...angry.gif

There is a filler nozzle and about an inch of visible pipe which disappears never to be seen again. No bottle to be seen anywhere as there is so much gubbins in there. Definitely a garage job, even if it is just a loose/fractured pipe...

I can't remember which of my cars (not a BMW possibly the Astra) had the washer bottle in the wheelarch but after removing the wheel and plastic wheelarch liner it was recommended to rivet the liner back. It probably was the Astra as the 2litre engine and gearbox completely filled the engine bay.

It probably was the Asteroid. My Zafira is the same. Why on earth they can't put these things in accessible places is beyond me. However, being cynical, I suspect that it is because they make their money on the need to dismantle half the car to do the work.

The last example of ridiculousness I had, was on my last car - a Vectra. The power steering sprung a slight leak from the fluid reservoir which was traced to the union on the bottom where the pipe attached. However, it wasn't possible to just replace the plastic reservoir - you had to change the whole power steering pump at a cost of X000 - I can't remember exactly how much, but it had 3 zeros. I ended using a quantity of gasket compound, and topping up with fluid every so often.

Agree with what you say about the Mini Gordon, I have got to change the radius arm on mine - no way I would attempt suspension work on the Zafira though! :icon_eek:

• RMweb Gold
Co-incidentally, her car reached 100,000 miles at the exact same spot as mine did two years previously - crossing the old Horsham to Guildford railway near Horsham.

I hope you stopped immediately and bought a lottery ticket? :)

• RMweb Premium

It probably was the Asteroid.

:lol: You almost had me spill my cocoa over the desk with that, Robert! :D

Feeling dead as a doornail after our visit to Ikea - big shops such as these always tire me out. Good thing that we had lunch before we went on our spree, else I might just have collapsed onto one of the beds on display! :blink:

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if it is true of other IKEA stores but the one at Lakeside now has much better signage that gives (fairly) direct routes to the department you want instead of being directed to follow Yeti sized footprints round every single bit of the shop.

Tony

Morning All,

Too dark to count the oktas but at least they're not leaking this morning and 7C to boot! Nearly summer????

Up early this morning to take 009Matt and East Hants Lt Railway down to the Calne Show and looking forward to meeting some more of you there!

Have a good Saturday!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Just why do I actually get up this early on Saturdays and indeed Sundays? However, once I've woken up I am usually too awake to remain in bed any longer, which causes discomfort. Dreamed something interesting again, too, but cannot really name any details.

Later :) .

Morning All,

There's a bit of snow blowing in the wind this morning - but it was nice to get up in the light for once! Decided to have a lay in this morning and only woke up around nine.

As for dreaming - well, I do dream but I don't remember many of them. Very occasionally, I have dreams which are incredibly real - but I usually know that I am dreaming - and those I tend to remember.

Anyway, I'm off for some breakfast now - fresh bread, bacon and coffee! :icon_thumbsup2:

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I can't remember any dreams from last night. First thing I remember from this morning is the radio turning on.

It isn't raining here but is very overcast.

Lots of mail arrived early this morning, February "Model Rail" for me, "The Garden" for Mrs S and university visit invitations for Matthew. UCAS applications closed at midnight so I expect he will hear fairly soon from the two universities that haven't given offers or rejections yet.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - just had an interesting meeting with the developer of RailSim. I'm helping him develop the A4 loco for it, and he's just shown me the first models. It looks very impressive, they've certainly captured that elusive shape well. Few more tweaks and it will be ready for sale, should be on their stand at Ally Pally. Now it's settle down with a beer to watch some FA cup football on the telly, Was going to do some modelling, but just like every other day I won't.

• RMweb Gold

Spent a while this afternoon having a good go at some woodwork! Let's just begin by saying I am useless at cutting wood - something which I must improve on. With this being my first serious go at woodwork and my first ever go at making this joint I don't think i've done too badly (minus the sawing!)

post-6776-12642611103106_thumb.jpg

What do you think? Just realised it could do with a bit of planing.