The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

In the old days, if I moved house a mile up the road and crossed into a different Departement (think County) the car would need to be re-registered. Bureaucracy.....

That's how it's been here in Germany for many decades, too – cars needed to be registered at your primary place of residence. In the state of Hesse at least, it is now possible to keep your licence plates even after a move to a different Landkreis (again the rough equivalent of a French département or British county), as long as you remain within the state. That is, if I understood those regulations correctly in the first place.

Minor panic thanks to the AA.

Our car insurance is bought through them, renewable in January.

Clicked on the site as requested.

No renewal terms and the current policy is marked cancelled.

Spoke to a passing cleaner in customer services (not easy) who tried to tell me it was last years policy (it wasn't) but was unable to answer why that was cancelled.

Spoke to actual Insurance Company who assured me it was valid.

They checked with the AA who told them it was probably a problem with the Standing Order, cheeky monkeys.

I will probably sue unless I get satisfaction from the MD of AA Insurance Services.

They just had to say sorry which was all that was required.

• Like 1

Minor panic thanks to the AA.

Our car insurance is bought through them, renewable in January.

Clicked on the site as requested.

No renewal terms and the current policy is marked cancelled.

Spoke to a passing cleaner in customer services (not easy) who tried to tell me it was last years policy (it wasn't) but was unable to answer why that was cancelled.

Spoke to actual Insurance Company who assured me it was valid.

They checked with the AA who told them it was probably a problem with the Standing Order, cheeky monkeys.

I will probably sue unless I get satisfaction from the MD of AA Insurance Services.

They just had to say sorry which was all that was required.

The whole car-owning/running process brings one closer to 'the law' than anything else one does in life........and recently, I read that the physical tax disc is set to be abolished; replaced with a scheme like the perpetual-insurance requirement......up to you to keep road-legal on an ongoing basis (without any display requirement or reminders); however unwitting any 'offence'!

...........the comprehensive national network of ANPR cameras/cars knows all; evidently!

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

Delivery received, after placement of moby number on door as I had nodded off when "Brian" turned up, amazing that the courier company even tells you the drivers name. I wished him a happy Christmas and headed in to see what had been delivered from older bruv.. turns out to be Bettys mince pies ordered from Africa and delivered from Harrogate!!!!! now that definitely 21st century! :D

Thankfully I don't have the worries of a car now and if I need one get a zipcar at the end of my street. Everytime I get in one I feel rather nervous which is strange as the last car I had did 52k miles in it's last year..

• RMweb Premium

post-6765-0-93166000-1355759622.gif

Good afternoon ,

very late today , a trip was needed to a DIY store this morning to obtain a new

shower head , the into the main town ( not the one I live in ) to Smiffs for the latest

BRM .

On return it was past 12-00 so much time passed getting the latest on Hornbys

news , after that it was time for a sandwich , then read the dailies , then fit the

shower head , then ......

So made it here eventually , three pages to catch up with ,now it's time to go do

other things , oh well I can always come back tomorrow .

TTFN .

Earlier this year, I came upon a Lexus 4WD 'eco-thing' parked near the local-beach...`twas (clearly) spankingly-new, and all in gloss black.......not my vehicular "cup of tea"; except for the fact that his vanity-plate consisted of the full name of my eldest Collie (an uncommon, Welsh female-forename).........I couldn`t quite believe it, and screeched to a halt to take a closer look.

I got my camera ready and asked the very-proud owner if I might take a picture; his vehicle was no more than a few hours new to the road, so he must have imagined I was going to take a wide shot of his lovely new car.......he seemed completely bemused when I crouched in front of the radiator grille and framed a pic of the number-plate! :mosking:

Myfanwy? I just wanted to type this, Debs...........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I have put some lights up round the bay windows and over the garage. Bulbs have aImost sent me demented in previous years, so the set with bulbs (replacements unavailable) has been relaced with led icicles. I shall have to see if my programming (press button until desired effect appears) survives the timer switch turning them off. Aditi has "views" on twinkles, chasers or anything remotely other than "on"

DD. I don't know what is the matter with the AA website recently. I recently renewed the insurance on our Clio. It is on a continuous card debit but the card expired so they dealt with that efficiently and the amount was duly debited. However the new policy didn't appear on the website as it has in the past. Using some unique ID number from an email I had to add it myself. Now I perfectly capable of doing this but nowhere did it tell me (I worked out how I thought a web designer would make assumptions). There was an add policy button but I've never had to do it in the past.

One of the GP relatives was telling me about the chaos that is caused by the NHS "choose and book" hospital appointments system. Patients have received their password to access the system and this is quite confusing to those not familiar with computers being told to enter something like "orange potato" into a computer they don't have.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

It's been mostly rainy today and doesn't exactly look like we'll be getting White Christmas... Dinner tonight was a Vietnamese style soup with glass noodles and beef, which was delicious if a bit on the spicy side.

And I just wanted to also post a link to a German modelling forum – specifically, a photo strip of a H0 scale layout set in southern Bavaria and featuring old-time electrics in the late 1950s/early 1960s period: http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/read.php?10,6197993

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

car back from the garage - diagnostic says its something to do with the instrumentation display module(!) ( Being a lowly engineer I still think its a bad connection but....)

they have reset it(!!) and told me to try it for a while.......

seems I have a car with lower reliability than a Chieftain Tank had ( and don't get me going on how I set out to fix that..................) :nono:

• RMweb Gold

car back from the garage - diagnostic says its something to do with the instrumentation display module(!) ( Being a lowly engineer I still think its a bad connection but....)...

The very first start of the day in sub zero weather seems to cause my car's diagnostic status indicator to throw up a few warnings. I was a bit concerned but other people with the same model said it is a known "feature", something to do with the sensors drawing a lot of current. I am amused by some of the graphics, quite often some words appear, a bonging noise emanates from somewhere and an image of a book appears on the instrument panel, a polite RTFM I suppose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

car back from the garage - diagnostic says its something to do with the instrumentation display module(!) ( Being a lowly engineer I still think its a bad connection but....)

they have reset it(!!) and told me to try it for a while.......

seems I have a car with lower reliability than a Chieftain Tank had ( and don't get me going on how I set out to fix that..................) :nono:

Chucking any Leyland bits away is my guess!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last year a fuse blew in the windscreen washer circuit. Spoke to the garage convesation went thus;

G said 'oh it freezes and then the fuse blows if you switch it on'

me 'did you check the antifreeze in the service in Dec'

G 'oh yes but it still freezes'

me ' Well what concentration are you using'

G 'about 10%'

me 'thats not enough in this country try 30%'

G ' Cant do that the manual specifies 10%'

Another example of Hommo Non-sapiens, Millenia of evolution and we now just do what the machine tells us!

Don

Morning All,

Up early as I am off to the gym for an hour or so of "health inducing exercise"....

Most interesting Monday over on the various Hornby related threads; given the delay in, and the non appearance in 2013 of, the big GWR tanks, I'm now glad that I ordered my examples in advance. Something I'll have to do for the 2013 GWR releases.

I also noted that whilst many ER denizens make appearances in other areas of RMWeb, there are others that do not. Are there any "ER Only" members?

Our lovely Christmassy snow has disappeared and we now have cold rain...

Stay Frosty

iD

Good Morning all,

Well on a slightly similar note to the car sagas. During the commissioning of the last plant the commissioning engineer "borrowed" some electronic components from of of the sets that I'm installing now & are due for commissioning early in the new year.....so yeterday reminded all who needed to know that these parts had not been replaced. Without them no commissioning!

So I gets an email from somebody, asking for photos of the missing parts.........so I sent him photos of the space in the control panels where the bit had been!

OH well, tr and enjoy some thing today.

Trev

• Like 1

Morning All,

It is quite a mild morning here, and will be my last day of work this year. We have been instructed to use up all of our leave before the end of the year - and who am I to argue?!?

Barry - your instrumentation module is more than likely nothing more than a loose connection, or dry solder joint. Unfortunately, in this throw away world that we live in nobody repairs anything and I suspect it will go in the bin. The other day, I was chatting to a chap in our local electronics store. I was getting a couple of capacitors and he was buying a resistor for the princely sum of 19 cents. This was to repair the seat switch in his Audi, for which Audi wanted 1500€ :O

Steam on the underground - My Grandfather used to tell a rather interesting story. During the war he was deployed to Europe from a Camp in Wales. They came down the main line until they reached the outskirts of London and then the train took to the London Underground to cross London before heading down the coast where they were transferred to Landing Craft.

My Grandfather was never one for tall stories, but for many years, I wondered if this were actually possible. Eventually, I got in touch with an Underground historian, who confirmed that it was not only true, but also highly likely!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, mild again not that I am complaining. Another colleague leaving today if many more leave I will become the dinosaur of the department. At this rate there will not be enough of us left to make redundant and be declared a saving.

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a very dark Leeds!

Yes if I could find a diagram of what is behind the dashboard I would plug it all back in and hey presto!

My major concern is this is not design for lean but design to recoup more money(!)

Any road up - have a good day from a London Midland Modeller - oh dear will that be a problem??

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Just watching breakfast news.

Apparently there are only a few days left to Chrirtmas.

I also noted that whilst many ER denizens make appearances in other areas of RMWeb, there are others that do not. Are there any "ER Only" members?

I occasionally venture from our sheltered environs to read posts but very rarely contribute these days. I suspect there are a number of reasons for this. Thre is just too much material out there to keep up with. I guess this is a byproduct of rmwebs success and it is no longer the cosy club it once was. The plus side of this, of course, is that there are many more more qualified or experienced members out there so I feel less inclined to join discussions or reply to queries, some one else has already done it or said it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, I love an occasional browse but unless I limit it, it becomes more of a chore than a pleasure.