The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Overnight gales have blown themselves out - but the forecast suggests they'll be about, so maybe we're just in the eye of the storm. Hail likely after lunch, too. Nice.

The idea of Sherry being ordained is not quite so far-fetched, perhaps. She certainly holds more beliefs than I do (not saying much), and seems to take part in services as rather more than just a member of the congregation. Deb's family had/has a fair sprinkling of priests, nuns & monks.

ISTR Donw is at his double-funeral today, so I am thinking of him, not least because Deb died 5 months ago today, time that has passed fairly quickly TBH.

Hope you can all keep Winter at bay today!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

very mixed weather at the moment , nasty grey/black cloud , a bit of blue sky with fluffy white cloud ,

and the sun that was shining has vanished , strong wind blowing too . The trip for the papers could

be interesting .

Again a day of no great news to impart or bore you with , life can be so tedious at times .

I forgot the dog picture yesterday so you can have two today for your enjoyment .

Have a good one all .

post-6765-0-28182500-1360057629.jpg

post-6765-0-49721800-1360057656.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Very strange weather - we've got bright sunshine at present (instead of the snow that was forecast for today), weird is not in it.

We had a religious thread in the family although I think the last one was about 40 years ago and fairly distantly related anyway although we do have a mediaeval Archbishop who was in fact the son of the Comptroller of a Minster and one of the Scottish branch doing some genealogy found another Bishop as well.  Strangest of the lot tho' was a Pope who bears something very similar to the family name, came from France (where we fairly certainly originated - reputedly our forebear came ashore in 1066 on the south coast), and - the oddest thing of all - we found a profile picture of said Pope, who bore a striking resemblance in profile to my dad :O

PS There is a town in France which has the same name as our family name but the Mairie's records are a bit haphazard prior to the 14th century, I have however got a copy of the mechanical signalling diagram for the local station.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

PS There is a town in France which has the same name as our family name but the Mairie's records are a bit haphazard prior to the 14th century, I have however got a copy of the mechanical signalling diagram for the local station.

Much more interesting!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

gordon s, on 05 Feb 2013 - 08:58, said:snapback.png

Is it me or do we just get grumpier as we get older?

This just made me laugh out loud over a late breakfast! Other half looked at me as if I was mad!

Cold but no snow, off to extract the hard disk off my old computer before I dispose of it and then general chores I guess.

Enjoy the day.

• RMweb Premium

I am sometimes baffled by the lack of thinking displayed by some pupils. I'm on the train right now and had to ask two boys to move their bikes to the sides of the bicycle space rather than putting them right in the middle so that no-one could have walked through. Gee...

• RMweb Gold

I am sometimes baffled by the lack of thinking displayed by some pupils. I'm on the train right now and had to ask two boys to move their bikes to the sides of the bicycle space rather than putting them right in the middle so that no-one could have walked through. Gee...

It's ok - plenty of fully-fledged intelligent adults do things like that all day!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's ok - plenty of fully-fledged intelligent adults do things like that all day!

Probably the same people who park their shopping trolley across the supermarket aisle while choosing their food (or more irritatingly, chatting with friends)

• RMweb Gold

That part is true enough, unfortunately...

One of my favourites is the railway passenger - not usually a commuter - who steps through the exit door at the station and then stops dead to get his/her bearings. This is a mite inconvenient when there are 47 people following him/her and the doorway is only a single-person wide!

• Like 1

One of my favourites is the railway passenger - not usually a commuter - who steps through the exit door at the station and then stops dead to get his/her bearings. This is a mite inconvenient when there are 47 people following him/her and the doorway is only a single-person wide!

Or stops to get their bearings when they reach the top or bottom of an escalator with people behind them :no2:

Dave

Wait until you are in a retirement home where the favourite place to stop for a chat is in the dining room doorway.

The gaggle of walkers/zimmer frames/slow moving bodies blocking all access routes is impressive!

AndyB if your eldest is just turning 9 you have a long road ahead of you!

You have to wait until she has married someone who is wealthy enough to keep you in the manner to which you are accustomed before you can think of retiring!

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

But not the hip, Neil

Ah no, unfortunately.  The brain THINKS it's 17 though!  Deep thought usually proves otherwise.

Apologies for absence tomorrow, going across to the adjacent island for assessment of operative success or otherwise!

• RMweb Gold

Or stops to get their bearings when they reach the top or bottom of an escalator with people behind them :no2:

Dave

Ah, another person on the lookout for aliens.  These people are in fact part of an extra-terrestial plot to interfere with the normal flow of life on our planet - the Martins having been given a particular role of disrupting passenger flow on the London Underground by adopting human form and hanging around the exit end of escalators.  

(And if you don't believe they 're aliens just try shoving them out of the way when you try to avoid being crushed by the people behind you as you get off an escalator.)

• Like 1

Ah, another person on the lookout for aliens ... the Martins having been given a particular role of disrupting passenger flow on the London Underground by adopting human form and hanging around the exit end of escalators.  

(And if you don't believe they 're aliens just try shoving them out of the way when you try to avoid being crushed by the people behind you as you get off an escalator.)

S.A.C. Martin and Martin Wynne? :)

• Like 8

3C is almost "tropical", Tony. You'll be lucky to see that in Alberta in April....

Best, Pete.

. I've frequently seen 25c in April.

Then again I've also seen -25c in April :beee:

Oh, yea. After 2 months away from ER's I'm still the bad penny.

Stupid censor, the ### should be a word similar to bollards.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

. I've frequently seen 25c in April.

Then again I've also seen -25c in April :beee:

I shall take my woolly hat, scarf and sun block. Matthew said the other day it was only -22C but the "feels like" temp was -37C. 

The censored word shows up in the quote box but gets hashed on posting.

Edited by Tony_S