RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Having been fortunate enough to take Management Training within BR, I have to say that on leaving the scheme every trainee had to engage in the sort of BR-equivalent of bedpan/fevered brow stuff as a very junior manager, required to learn and on occasions step in to all sorts of menial tasks to keep the railway running. Hence I spent New Year's Eve 1976 as shunter at Grove Park Shed. Most of the trainees were already graduates, others of us not. If the NHS offers degree courses as a stepping stone to higher things, well and good, but if there is a distinct ceiling through which a graduate nurse may not pass, then there is a real problem. I suspect that the graduate thing is about ensuring nurses can do things formerly reserved for doctors and others, thus saving on resources. No doubt the private healthcare sector is delighted to welcome these graduates to its rather nicer environment.

I understand that elsewhere on the Internet, one can find plenty of video of women grunting (and more) while being served......

Well said Ian - that is alas a problem with 'over-qualification' where some people see certain work as being beneath them, even if it is part of the job or the job as others see it.  (And having done it on more than one occasion - sometimes for 12 hours - I stlll rate passenger shunting as one of the filthiest jobs on the railway.)

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I can arrange an eye-gouging, cheap.....

Seriously, man, what is that for?

Pete, you beat me to it....

Just checked and I've got some cleanish looking drills and scalpels and a car foot pump if Mike wants me to have a bash at it. I should warn him that I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to eye ops, so he may need to bring a flask of sweet tea with him in case I keel over. 

The technical term for what I have is a Macular hole .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macular_hole .

The effect is shown here with  the lower grid being what I see through the

right eye , peripheral vision is not affected . Close range is not to bad but as things get further away

you notice it more . I dont get the sucked in effect that this shows , just a closing of the grid at  the center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsler_grid

The repair operation is called a Vitrectomy .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrectomy .

Andy , if you want to test your squeamishness have a look at this and then ask yourself if you

would really fancy having this done .

Not a simple operation with a gauranteed out come , just an improvement and not a return to

total as before vision . And unlike a badly mended broken leg that could be re-broken and reset

this a one trick try , I will get a cataract as a result of having it done , that could form in a matter

of months or may take a couple of years , so that will mean another op . Also thing could go

totally wrong and I end up with it being worse than it is now or worse case scenario blind in that eye .

So it's getting close to decision time , I see the consultant who would do the op next week for a chat ,

then it will really be decision time .    :O

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mr Trisonic sir, that Eric Clapton Blues Night radio1 concert I was muttering about was Feb 1991.  eeek.  Water has flowed under the bridge since then rather, in fact it has evaporated, condensed, rained and flowed again a few times!  He had Jimmy Vaughan, Chuck Lavell and Greg Phillinganes, Joey Spampinato, Jamie Oldacre and Jerry Portenoy in his band.  It's a cracking concert, if that's your music.

• RMweb Gold

Guys, be careful with your risque comments, else Debs will land on you from her full 5' 14", followed by a trio of collies.

Bill

There is probably something on the internet about that as well....................probably Danish in origin!

Regards

Richard

• Like 5

Solicitors. When the bill arrived from the one dealing with my Mum's "estate"(not really worth the name), I noticed in small print in the middle of it fees at 1/2% of the total estate, when the figure was 1%!

I queried this and received a phone call from the senior partner when he asked if I was suggesting they do that to all their clients. I said something along the lines of "well, I'm sure most people wouldn't notice at this time". He replied by saying that he trusted the guy that did Mum's stuff to do his work!

Yes, I know, I should have got something in writing and contacted the Law Society but I had enough to cope with.

Has anyone else noted just how difficult it is to get something in writing these days. Everybody I phone tells me they are taping my call; I not only can't do this but I have an idea it is illegal for me to do so.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Something of model railway interest. After buying 2 pairs of trousers and a shirt in M&S I went down to Modelzone to have a look at the 2-BIL model that seems to be being discussed on other parts of the forum. I'm not sure I would have anything meaningful to say!

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The probate no longer offers interviews on the Isle of Wight so you can now swear your oath at a local solicitors office much cheaper cost me £14 pounds for two oaths and took about 15mins one mile from home. A great saving on time and fuel costs. Even with paying for special delivery (trackable all the way) it was a heel of a lot cheaper than the ferry. Much quicker too as you don't have to wait for an appointment.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Sometimes it does pay off to have your camera at hand while going by train, as I found out this afternoon... Have a look here, if you like: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/74/entry-11076-the-beginning-of-the-dawn-of-an-new-era-a-totally-unexpected-sighting/

• Like 4

Take care, Mike otherwise I'll post the video of my last colonoscopy - yes I do have it on my Mac......

Best, Pete.

I just hope you've got a decent firewall on your Mac. I'd pity the poor $@d that hacked in and stumbled on that file.   :scared: 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The latest trend in colonoscopy is to spray the intestine with a blue dye to show up abnormal cells. Perhaps Pete's next video will be a blue movie.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
The latest trend in colonoscopy is to spray the intestine with a blue dye to show up abnormal cells. Perhaps Pete's next video will be a blue movie.

Perhaps as an encore he will give us 'Blue Moon'

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else noted just how difficult it is to get something in writing these days. Everybody I phone tells me they are taping my call; I not only can't do this but I have an idea it is illegal for me to do so.

Ed

I have a special technique to deal with any of the cold callers who come out with this 'this call is being recorded' nonsense - by pointing out we are registered for telephone preference service and then unleashing a torrent of very rude remarks onto their recording machine.  Strange to relate none of them ever seem to take offence at that.

BTW if you think solicitors can pull tricks regarding fees you should try Govt departments on legal fees -they make the private sector look like rank amateurs.

• Like 1