Strathfield Halt

kiwinewt

Moving on from designing ( http://www.rmweb.co....otential-layout ) I'm now attempting construction... This'll be fun!

It's going to be 3 1mx45cm boards depicting a preserved railway that is gaining local support/business for transportation of stock and goods. Loosely based on Didcot - since I like GWR locos and overall design.

post-9957-077779500 1286328583_thumb.jpg

post-9957-074120400 1286328594_thumb.jpg

post-9957-095248100 1286328608_thumb.jpg

post-9957-016887500 1286328621_thumb.jpg

post-9957-081730600 1286328625_thumb.jpg

Next steps: get a metcalfe engine shed and goods shed to size... Perhaps even a peco signalbox to modify. Any opinions on this? ;)

This is based of Monmouth Troy station in the Wye valley. I'm still working out the little kinks in the track plan that will allow me to have the features I want in the goods yard (cattle pens, goods shed, inglenook sidings)

Hopefully this won't take too long - I'm eager to get building! :D

Edit: removed garish large picture... it looks absolutely nothing like it.. lol

• 2 months later...

Long time no post. Have most of the baseboard constructed now. Minor earthquakes aren't helping the shaky hands though...

Managed to get the goods shed built up from a ratio kit. Just need to paint it now :)

And yes, I was using Percy to test - he is the widest engine I have and will likely be used a lot by... err... the kids....

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

shed3.jpg

I got some Peco platform sides from a visiting relative today... so promptly built the platform for Strathfield Halt

testfit.jpg

I also then started to lay the track, with the double-sided-tape method, which I must say is really good and easy to adjust the track when it gets put down

firsttrack.jpg

• RMweb Premium

If there is any possibility of you adding motors to the points in the future then it would be a good idea to add holes under the points to allow for this before you lay the track rather than trying to do it afterwards.

Yep I have a couple of motors here now and a couple on order. Nothing is fully stuck down yet, just waiting for the drill to charge and then I will lift the points and drill the holes for the motors.

On a side note, do Peco point motors really need a 1cm wide hole under the point?

• RMweb Premium

Drilling a 10mm hole would be a little big. 8mm should do it. You can make a smaller hole but you will need to make a slot if you do this. If you find that your hole is to big, you can cover it up with a thin bit of paper, the thinner the better.

Archived