Help Required - Midland TPO

Kempenfelt

All,

I'm sure many of you are already aware of the Bristol Barrow Road project and despite the model's infancy, recent research has turned to some of the rolling stock.

The Midland coaching stock was stabled adjacent to the roundhouse and one particular train that has caught our attention is the 'Midland TPO' which as I understand it went from Bristol to Newcastle. What we are primarily trying to identify is the Diagram numbers and coach numbers of the 3 vehicles that made up the mail element of the train. Other information such as livery etc would also be extremely valuable. We are also interested in identifying the passenger element of this train, which from the photo's and video that we've already found, appears to be a bit more varried and ranges between 4 and 6 vehicles of the Mk1 variety.

So Far we have found an excellent picture of this train in Peter Johnsons book The British Travelling Post Office showing the train around yate in 1956 and being hauled by a Jubilee. We also have a series of 3 photo's showing the rake being pulled out of the carriage sidings and past Barrow Road shed, however these are not able to give us the information we need in order to model the rake. I believe I have identified the 2 end vehicles out of the 3 but confirmation would be very much appreciated, I don't have the details to hand but will post this later. It is to be noted that the middle vehicle of the 3 is one of the vehicles that had the recess for the collecting aparatus, however this was not actually fitted.

Additional sources of information so far have come from Jenkinson and Essery's The LMS coach Vol 3, and B & R Video Productions, Railways around Bristol, Vol 84.

There is also a picture in the Runpast book Birmingham - Bristol Portrait of a Famous Midland Route 2 - Cheltenham to Bristol and Bath of LNER stowage van E70640E at Bristol Temple Meads station, however this is a different TPO set I believe.

The period we are interested in is from the mid 50's through to the early 60's although any information about this train would be most useful, likewise we are always interested in photo's.

Kind Regards

Paul

From the Winter 1958-9 WR Through Coach Programme - the first to list trains via Barnt Green and not going south of Bristol:

0084.jpg

VV indicates BR Standard (ie Mark I) stock.

B = van leading.

Thanks for the information Steve.

I have found the following photo on Flickr

Midland TPO passing Barrow Road

This vehicle appears to be numbered starting E20.. any idea as to the identity and diagram?

Robin

Steve, thankyou too for your response, very useful!

Now for a bit of an update. Since the opening post I've gone back to the books and film and think I can confirm 2 of the vehicles, judging by lavatory windows, toplights etc

The first vehicle I believe is Post Office Sorting Van 30292 built to diagram number D2175, lot 1443. This is a 60ft vehicle and was never fitted with pick-up apparatus.

The second vehicle I believe is Post Office Stowage Van 30282 built to diagram D2052, lot 1433. This is a 50ft vehicle and is completely empty apart from a wardrobe at the right hand end when looking at the corridor side. It was built to replace 1905 from the Midland fleet.

I think I've narrowed the identity search of the middle vehicle to one of the following diagrams, D1792, D1970, D2167 and D2191. It is a 60ft vehicle and either never had or no longer has the pick-up apparatus fitted. This narrows it down to a choice of 40 vehicles!

I have only yesterday been made aware of a colour photo of the Midland TPO and this shows the 3 coach TPO set painted in maroon, together with a 5 Coach maroon MK1 passenger set.

As before any further information is much appreciated. In the meantime the research continues!

Thanks for looking

Paul

Archived