Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What Is Dutch Livery?

I seemed to of ended up with a number of bits and pieces in the "Dutch" livery. I have no idea what this means but focus on BR Blue. So can I mix these two liveries up? In my mind my trains are based around 1985 -90.

Cheers, Jerry

PS I am no rivet counter

I seemed to of ended up with a number of bits and pieces in the "Dutch" livery. I have no idea what this means but focus on BR Blue. So can I mix these two liveries up? In my mind my trains are based around 1985 -90.

Cheers, Jerry

PS I am no rivet counter

Hi Jerry. I remember roughly when Dutch livery (named after the Dutch railways livery to which it bore a striking resemblance) was introduced either late 1990 or 1991. I have the Platform 5 spotter books for those years and it doesn't appear in the 1990 book. Basically the livery was the application of a yellow stripe to the BR General livery which was introduced at the back end of the sector liveries (Railfreight triple grey with all the different logos, Intercity, NSE etc - and then there was Mainline (which was like Intercity) for mixed traffic, and general for anything else).

So... in short - yes you can - just - as blue stretched well into the 1990s on most classes anyway! Just the 25s and 45s disappeared.

Amongst the proliferation of liveries, there came an all-over grey livery. I'd have to search out the relavent 'Rail' to find the exact details.

Someone thought the grey looked too 'Utility' and so a yellow band was added to brighten things up. It post-dates the blue era but as has been pointed out, the blue lasted quite a long time, in fact it was occasionally revived!

• Like 1

Someone thought the grey looked too 'Utility' and so a yellow band was added to brighten things up. It post-dates the blue era but as has been pointed out, the blue lasted quite a long time, in fact it was occasionally revived!

I thought the 'Dutch' livery was bought into distinguish the Engineering stock from the 'normal' Railfreight stock????

But as far as running it with BR Blue, you can mix Dutch with BR Blue because, as has been said before BR Blue didn't die completely until post privatisation.

But just remember one thing, Rule 1 applies - It's your trainset :P :P

Regards

Neal.

To a dyed-in-the-wool steam fan, who stopped studying trains at the demise of steam, I still have great difficulty in recognising the classes of diesel locos, and the proliferation of liveries compounds the issue, along with the change from "Dxxx" numbers to (I think) somethig called "TOPS".

I think the modern models are superb, but wouldn't have a clue as to what is sensible/right to run alongside what!

"Dutch Livery" comes under the heading of "I wondered what that was, but didn't like to ask" and there are many more short-hand terms bandied about to confuse the natives! For instance I know what "Gronk" is, but what is a "Shed"? and Why?

To para-phrase an old TV show.... These questions and many others need answers......

Is there a glossary of these terms, and if so where? Or do I just have to hope to pick it up as I go along? Now there's a can of worms..... B)

• Like 1

Okay - why "Dutch" - it's because at the time this livery came out Nederlandse Spoorwagen (hope I spelt that right!unsure.gif ) were painting trains in the style seen here on the 1500 class (ex Woodhead loco): http://busentrein.websitemaker.nl/treinen/396983 back when it was introduced.

And as applied to a class 31 over here, you can see the similarities...

http://ukrailwaypics.fotopic.net/p34281720.html

Shed? Look at the profile of a class 66 head on, and think of a garden shed... wink.gif

Rail magazine July 1990 front cover announced 'New Look Departmental Livery' with a photo of 31541 in 'Dutch' livery.

A report in 'Rail' (October 1990) went on to say.... "The mid 1980s onwards has seen an explosion of liveries on Class 47 fleet. However, for 47333, the misery continued with the application of the much critisised Departmental grey livery......fortunately, no. 47333 will soon have the 'Dutch' yellow band applied."

In the same issue, Lima referred to it as 'General livery' in their were advertisment for grey Class 31 No.31568.

By December. the magazine was reporting : - The first Class 26 to recieve the Civil Engineers yellow and grey livery was no. 26026 which was painted by staff at Eastfield depot in Mid-november 1990. (It carried the roundel Group depot plaques and looked quite neat).

Larry G.

• 12 years later...

Hello all, i'm hoping it's ok to resurrect an old thread.

I fancy having a bash at doing 37072 and 73106 in the Engineers allover grey from the late 90s. Does anyone happen to know of a match for the grey from a Halfords rattle can? 

15 hours ago, RP82 said:

I fancy having a bash at doing 37072 and 73106 in the Engineers allover grey from the late 90s. Does anyone happen to know of a match for the grey from a Halfords rattle can? 

I’m not certain of one - to be fair it’s have to be a pretty dingy car to be painted that colour ! Of course railmatch do the correct colour as an enamel ratttle can if that takes your fancy

• Thanks 1

On 10/02/2022 at 22:33, RP82 said:

Sorry don't know about Halfords Rattle can but watch you are doing 37072, if you haven't notice it has two different cabs so needs some surgery. Not just a straight re-paint whatever base model you use.