Romanian Forestry Railways

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

Some fascinating stuff there, Andy - if that was 1992, presumably these lines aren't steam-worked any longer, if indeed they are still running at all?

I really like the first 'taster' photo you put up!

Remarkably, the railway at Viseu de Sus does still survive. It was apparently seriously damaged by flooding a couple of years ago but has been at least partly reinstated. Diesels are usually used for timber traffic, but there are steam locos in reserve. There is also a steam-worked tourist service.

These links provide further information

http://www.cffviseu.ro/en/waldbahn_bahnhof.html

http://www.farrail.net/pages/touren-engl/romania-viseu-de-sus-2009-09.html

I was at Viseu de Sus a month ago for a Photoweek (five days of riding trains). The first day it rained the whole day; the second was dry but overcast, and the remaining days were wonderful.

Picture011.jpg

Picture154.jpg

This is indeed the only surviving working forestry railway in Rumania, but on one of the fine days we drove to Moldovita in N.E. Rumania where a group is working on restoring part of a former forestry railway as a tourist railway. About 4 miles have been restored so far and we went along them with an 0-8-0T built in 1911 by the Budapest Locomotive Works. I am fairly certain that it is a 492 series, the lighter version of the 490 series.

The track runs along the side of a fairly well-used road, the traffic ranging from large lorries to carts....

Picture220.jpg

Picture231.jpg

Picture234.jpg

Picture266.jpg

Picture268.jpg

Picture275.jpg

Picture277.jpg

The other locomotive presently at Moldovita is an 0-4-0 built by Henschel in 1917. Apparently the tender is not original to the locomotive; and although it was built for an industrial firm I do wonder whether it is actually a 'Feldbahn' design.

Picture294.jpg

I believe that it is still possible (at the moment) to get to Moldovita by train. The town is also famous for a nearby monastery with outer and inner walls covered in painted scenes from the Bible.

With best regards from Hungary,

Jonathan

The inclined plane was a remarkable piece of engineering:

TheinclinedplanefromCovasnaend.jpg

I understand that though in theory it is under protection as a National Monument it is in fact in a very sad state of repair and the machinery house at the top has burnt down (again). Hopefully it can be preserved but like everything else in Rumania it seems to be a question of not just money but politics as well. Information about it can be found on the kisvasut.hu website.

With best regards from Hungary,

Jonathan

no messing about with side skirts or enclosed tram engines there, then! There's a poke in the eye for all the people who build 009 locos from Airfix pugs on power bogies and hide the wheels with side skirts.... Michael Palin went there on his series about travelling round the Eastern European countries that have joined the EU, amid much wry humour about lumberjacks :rolleyes:

Archived