Airfix / Dapol standard mogul.

Yesterday whilst i was at the model shop i came accross one of the old crownline conversion kits for the airfix/Dapol standard mogul. With a nice trade in the shop i managed to pick up that kit along with a comet black 5 chassis kit & some bodys & various bits & bats. The one thing the modelshop didnt have was a Dapol standard mogul kit to use with the chassis kit so i decided to just question something before i buy the kit.

After reading various posts on the forum about moulding processes & older moulds being worn it got me thinking. The current Dapol kit started life as a kitmaster kit & i guess it is quite a vintage now. With the thought of worn moulds etc is the current Dapol model in anyway different to the earlier airfix/ kitmaster offerings with regards to crispness? I want to make sure that the kit i buy is going to be perfect for a P4 chassis.

Simon.

Hi

Built one of these no problems with clearance, as most of the "action" is below the footplate. Just be careful over which gearbox and motor you choose. Things that are small are not a bad idea, as you are going to have to power from the rear axle...unless you don't mind seeing the motor and gearbox on the middle axle. You could power off the front driver - as Steffan Lewis does - but I've never tried that. But, Steff's engines run sweetly enough that it can't be a problem just a personal choice. The Dapol kit I got came from Branchlines, nothing wrong with the moulding, that a scalpel and file would not cure. Footplate was straight, which was the important bit - for me anyway.

regards

Mike

Airfix did modify the kit when the old Kitmaster mould was reissued, they thinned the plastic gates and added some underframe detail. The Dapol moulding is unchanged though (well apart from saying 'Dapol' where AIrfix used to be). Given a choice, I'd always prefer to work with one of these kits in black plastic - all the Airfix ones were moulded in black; Dapol have used a variety of grey shades as well as black.

The Branchlines chassis and the old Crownline one are about as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod....

:lol: :lol: Tickled me that Horsetan :D

If you want an Airfix black plastic 2-6-0 I've got one for fiver if you want it send me a PM. I'd steer well clear of the Crownline chassis, its probably early 80's in design and tooling for any castings. The Branchline one is likely to be far superior in terms of quality and ease of build.

My friend Alan had a look at the chassis & he said we can build it into a P4 chassis. Looking at some of the chassis's Alan has made in the past he can do more or less anything with his knowledge. I've pm'ed you regarding the kit .

Simon.

Archived