RJR,s overseas adventures

johnteal

This last week has seen me cross to the "Dark Side" and enter the world of US modelling, As a regular blogger on here most of my adventures and disasters will be recorded for posterity (for others to chuckle at !)

My RMweb blog can be found HERE

By way of introduction here is how far Ive got todate

SDC17593.jpg

John

RJR

Good to see a thread about your adventures, John (not a Blog fan I'm afraid)... now maybe here on RMweb, a certain Mr Shortliner can take his fair share of the blame for your being turned to the Dark Side, instead of me taking all the blame for it "elsewhere"...!!! :P :rolleyes: :D :D :D ;)

just so no one feels to blame rolleyes.gif We often here the phrase "I've come back to the hobby, having been involved as a teenager" In fact I have used it myself... What I haven't mentioned before is that when I was a teenager living at home my layout was HO American stock, my Uncle started me off when I was in my early teens, by the time I was 16 the box room of my parents house had a pretty big end to end that spiralled around the room 3 times from a lower yard to a higher one.

So the truth is out, neither of you haven't tricked me to the dark side, I have in fact just come full circle and returned to my roots........

John

but we will still blame anyhow.

Welcome back. I modeled US in my teens, I remember saving my money and on a family vacation to the east cost I purchased an Athearn Blue Box Santa Fe (it cost me about $18), and my father got me a Warbonnet F unit. to model US better I moved to the USA.

Hate to break it to you, but your first TWO boxcars and first REEFER arrived today. The TLDX car is a refrigerator car. 8-).

John probably knew that...

just so no one feels to blame ... What I haven't mentioned before is that when I was a teenager living at home my layout was HO American stock,

... I have in fact just come full circle and returned to my roots........

Have just had to go and edit my comments about the Reefer elsewhere as a result of this "secret past" admission... :D :D :D D'oh!! :rolleyes:

I'm trying hard not to duplicate on here to much. But as a committed RMweb blogger and with a desire to take an active part in the Overseas section I'm torn !!

So here is a quick taste of my latest RMweb blog, having fitted my new workbench the end of the layout lends itself nicely to a "freeway" / road bridge ...

SDC17643.jpg

There is more info and pictures on the blog HERE

Playing with bits of track to get some thoughts on the "other side" of the shed

SDC17756.jpg

Ignore the structures along the back, Im thinking a road parallel to the track right behind it, then half relief buildings behind that. track along street scene

SDC17757.jpg

I have plenty of action to keep me quiet on the other side so can afford to be a bit more minimalist on this side, any thoughts ??

Why the double slip switch? Why not just have two regular switches? US roads tend to be very frugal, they wouldn't use a double slip outside a very high density area like a passenger terminal throat. The double slip doesn't add any more operation than two regular switches would.

Why the double slip switch? Why not just have two regular switches? US roads tend to be very frugal, they wouldn't use a double slip outside a very high density area like a passenger terminal throat. The double slip doesn't add any more operation than two regular switches would.

I guess the only real reason is "true to prototype" I was trying to be frugal too ! Or in other words... I've got a double slip in stock and no more switches !!

John

I guess the only real reason is "true to prototype" I was trying to be frugal too ! Or in other words... I've got a double slip in stock and no more switches !!

I suspected that was the case. Not saying not to use it, its just a bit unusual.

Archived