Steam HST at the Festiniog (or three Fairlies for the price of one)

ngtrains.com

• RMweb Gold

Who said the HST was a diesel era idea?

post-2660-036170000 1286701638_thumb.jpg

This 14 car train with two steam power cars was running in North Wales yesterday

Actually it could have also been captioned along the lines of "never see a Fairlie and then three come along at once" As the picture below shows I took the picture from the footplate of Merddin Emrys as we waited at Rhiw Goch loop for the down train so the entire world operational fleet of double Fairlies were in the same place at about 16.25 yesterday [of course they are always close together at night as they live in the same shed}

post-2660-095598700 1286702020_thumb.jpg

I too was at the Ffestiniog yesterday, spectating on the platform at Porthmadog. Some lovely carriages in the vintage rake.

post-6793-012097700 1286724384_thumb.jpg

Your wheels for the day Paul?

post-6793-059975700 1286724465_thumb.jpg

Some would say that shows Paul's best side!!

A very jealous Phil at Port Wynnstay

• RMweb Gold

Traxson you're dead!

Anyway the only part of you to appear in FR photo's is you behind :rolleyes:

In one of those Taxi driver "guess who I had in my taxi" moments, I had that Julia Bradbury off the tele in the cab of my double engine yesterday. Anyone get a photo of that?

Anyway today was spent pushing a minor Devon river around without being able to see where I was going.

Here is today's Rhiw Goch picture

post-2660-029254300 1286736433_thumb.jpg

Just finished for the day about ten minutes ago. Ricket is in the shed having been HBF'd [hook off, book off, well I'm sure you can work out the rest]. Only train out now is Taliesin on the Beer Train, the end of weekend party for the participants, under the auspices of the Boston Lodge Temperance Society which takes its stated aim, which is to prove the evils of drink, very seriously.

We took one for the team and did all end of play shunting so others could finish their turns early and be on the train. I reckon I am OK for beers bought when they get back to Spooners. I can't celebrate the end to vigorously as I am the service train driver tomorrow

• RMweb Gold

In one of those Taxi driver "guess who I had in my taxi" moments, I had that Julia Bradbury off the tele in the cab of my double engine yesterday. Anyone get a photo of that?

Here's one of Julia Bradbury on the fireman's side, was there much steam left in the boiler after she leaned on the whistle before setting off over the Cob?

post-171-027563700 1286832659_thumb.jpg

This is the view after you left Rhiw Goch after passing the 'HST' working, Merddin Emrys and the Colonel Stephens set crossing Cei Mawr.

post-171-066831400 1286832761_thumb.jpg

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Well depends on which side of your cab Paul, on any other type of loco there would have been thousands envious but with the firebox of a Fairlie in the way I think those on the lineside got a better view. :lol:

Also shot on the 10th during the gala. 'Merddyn Emrys' entering Tanygrisiau with vintage bug boxes and bogie coaches. Left-hand running has been adopted for this station as with all the other stations (trains previously entered the righthand side of the platform), and so I found myself on the shadow side of the train.....

The Double-Fairlie returning from Blaenau on this very warm but hazy day, marvelous for middish-October.......

A little too warm in fact... which is probably partly why Van 2 (my guards van) ran a hot box at Blaenau Ffestiniog and hence disappears between these two pictures - because it was the guards van too it means we had to return ECS unfortunately - hopefully no one was too inconvenienced by this.

We (the train crew) was also a bit disappointed that given the great weather, no one was at Campbell's Platform to photograph the mixed train heading for Ddaullt - we were all posing too!

Didn't get any photos of the strange young chap in the flat top 20's period guard's hat did you coach?wink.gif I've failed to find one so far sad.gif

Bruce (who had a great weekend)

That's a lovely specimen...

of the Double Fairlie :P (although Julia certainly does deserve the same qualification ;))

What's the reason for her appearance, which TV program do we need to look out for? (and when!)

I don't think she did any filming - she was launching her book Railway Walks at the event and signing copies. A crew from the discovery channel were present however interviewing people in order to pitch for series based on the FR to be filmed over the next 2 years (leading up to the 150 years of steam celebrations in 2013).

Bruce

That's a lovely specimen...

of the Double Fairlie :P (although Julia certainly does deserve the same qualification ;))

What's the reason for her appearance, which TV program do we need to look out for? (and when!)

Isn't she lovely.

I still enjoy looking back at her railway walks, in particular the one from Dolgelley / Dolgellau to Barmouth Junction / Morfa Mawddach.

This week Julia was shown in the cab of a class 73 on "countryfile".

She seems to do a lot of railway stuff - which is fine by me.

Archived