Lenz LS150

kiwinewt

Does anyone use these accessory decoders?

If so, do they use up different addresses for each point, thus removing them from being available to the track?

I'm guessing if they do it will mean I can't use it on with my Bachmann EZ-Command without only being able to control only a couple of locos...

Accessory decoders use a separate data message type from loco decoders, so there is no problem having an accessory that has the same address as a loco. However the simpler and cheaper command stations, including the E-Z Command, don't generate this type of message so won't operate accessory decoders.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone use these accessory decoders?

If so, do they use up different addresses for each point, thus removing them from being available to the track?

I'm guessing if they do it will mean I can't use it on with my Bachmann EZ-Command without only being able to control only a couple of locos...

I have some which I use with a Lenz 100. They are classed as accessory decoders and have separate addresses under i.e. "magnetic articles" (Lenz) or some similar description. As far as I know the typical range available is 1 -2048, each point is allocated a different address, whereas loco decoders can be from 1 - about 10000. As Edwin says there isn't a conflict as they are controlled by a different signal on the DCC bus to what locos receive.

As you have guessed the EZ command is not capable of controlling them, you need an upgrade to a better controller, which would also increase the available loco addresses (the EZ command is only capable of addresses up to 127 is it not?).

Keith

However from what I have seen Hornby/ez-command accessory decoders use one address and then you use the functions to switch the points - is this correct?

I fitted a Hornby accessory decoder to my On30 module and I'm pretty sure it used multiple addresses. IIRC it came set to address 1 and could be reprogrammed by sending an accessory command while pressing a button on the decoder. The first output would get the given address, and the next 3 would go up sequentially - maybe that's why it only appears to have one address, but still uses four?

HTH

Will

The EZ command supports Express Net - to a certain level...

I have not tried it, but, a Roco points commander might work with it and generate the points settings.

I use the MERG accessory encoder and a mixtrue of LS150s and their own decoders. Please have a look at my gallery for my simple control panel and the boards themselves. I did need a small amount of know how to get it all working, but the MERG group has a good support forum and is very patient with begginers.

Archived