The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 7 Email Programs Help/Advice

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I really would be grateful if anyone knows the answer to my dilemma. I have looked for advice online and basically the online advice is "this issue is unresolved" or "change the email program".

So I thought I'd ask fellow RMWebbers if they have experienced anything similar.

Here is the problem.

When my son went to university he took his new laptop with him. This has the 64 bit version of Windows 7 installed and Office 2010. For his email I installed Windows Live Mail and it worked sending and receiving emails. Now he appears to be able to receive emails (on a btinternet email address) but not send, this generates an email 451 error. I asked him to send a screen shot from his ( uni webmail address) and his Windows live email page doesn't look like mine or his mother's.

As a quick solution (until we go and see him next month) I've suggested he uses the BTyahoo web based mail for his BT account as that works perfectly.

But if I go for the "change the email program" solution I can either go for Thunderbird or Outlook 2010. Apart from the cost of Outlook does anyone have any opinions about email on Win7 64 bit environments. I nearly forgot, the laptop has Norton 360 v4 but it did work in that configuration before he left home. Without being there I can't know if it is some sort of clash with one of those IM programs that seem popular with young people!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I really would be grateful if anyone knows the answer to my dilemma. I have looked for advice online and basically the online advice is "this issue is unresolved" or "change the email program".

So I thought I'd ask fellow RMWebbers if they have experienced anything similar.

Here is the problem.

When my son went to university he took his new laptop with him. This has the 64 bit version of Windows 7 installed and Office 2010. For his email I installed Windows Live Mail and it worked sending and receiving emails. Now he appears to be able to receive emails (on a btinternet email address) but not send, this generates an email 451 error. I asked him to send a screen shot from his ( uni webmail address) and his Windows live email page doesn't look like mine or his mother's.

As a quick solution (until we go and see him next month) I've suggested he uses the BTyahoo web based mail for his BT account as that works perfectly.

But if I go for the "change the email program" solution I can either go for Thunderbird or Outlook 2010. Apart from the cost of Outlook does anyone have any opinions about email on Win7 64 bit environments. I nearly forgot, the laptop has Norton 360 v4 but it did work in that configuration before he left home. Without being there I can't know if it is some sort of clash with one of those IM programs that seem popular with young people!

Tony

Why not simply fix the 451 error ? - google is your friend ;)

• RMweb Gold

Why not simply fix the 451 error ? - google is your friend ;)

I did try googling the 451 error. None of the suggested suggestions (I spent yesterday evening working through them) I found were applicable or worked. The one I've got him trying at the moment (in between his reading a book on the geography of feminism) is turning off any of the services for things he has added since he left home which I'm sure where the problem lies. When he did manage to send an email from the web mail it was a request for me to order some books so perhaps it would have been cheaper not to have found a temporary solution

Best Wishes

Tony

• RMweb Gold

If he still has an email stuck in the outbox, try deleting it.

and/or

Try turning off SSL

Couple of things for you to try.

Generally 451 is an provider issue, try contacting them.

hth

• RMweb Gold

Windows 7 is infamous for not working with any of your old software. It doesn't even support Microsoft's own Outlook Express, which is an impressive exercise in obsolescence. You can get an XP emulation to work within Win 7, allowing all your old programs to live again.

• RMweb Gold

If he still has an email stuck in the outbox, try deleting it.

and/or

Try turning off SSL

Couple of things for you to try.

Generally 451 is an provider issue, try contacting them.

hth

I was trying to get him to see what state SSL was in last night but which is why I got him to send me a screen dump as I was saying (over the phone) eg "look at the icon top right" and was being told there wasn't one. There isn't and none of the menu items seem to lead to account settings so I don't know what has happened. I hadn't suggesting investigating the outbox so I'll give that a suggestion. It is very frustrating as I've got three pcs here,( one of which is identical to Matthew's or at least it was until he departed) running Windows Live Mail, one on Win 7 64 bit, one on Win 7 32 bit and one on Vista all with BT internet. One of the other frustrations is that my son is very good at using a pc that is working but anything goes wrong and it is as if I'm speaking a foreign language.

I'm really grateful for your suggestions.

Best wishes

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Windows 7 is infamous for not working with any of your old software. It doesn't even support Microsoft's own Outlook Express, which is an impressive exercise in obsolescence. You can get an XP emulation to work within Win 7, allowing all your old programs to live again.

This is a brand new PC with Win 7 installed and all new programs eg Office10. As you mention, Outlook Express isn't provided and Window Live Mail as a free download is supposed to replace it. It did work, it doesn't now. I can't even talk him through it over the phone as somehow it seems to have added a new menu bar that doesn't look like any I've seen on Live Mail so my suspicion is that something he has added as an option is messing it up. I know Thunderbird works on the 64 bit Win 7 as I had that on my wife's PC but she didn't "like" it and she uses the Live Mail program instead. I went for the easy / lazy option of saying to my son use web based email until we visit in November. My wife had a lot of software that was reputed not to work on Win 7 but it didn't take too long for patches to appear. Another piece of text analysis software runs in XP mode and works away happily with all the other stuff fortunately as the full upgrade would be pricy!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I was trying to get him to see what state SSL was in last night but which is why I got him to send me a screen dump as I was saying (over the phone) eg "look at the icon top right" and was being told there wasn't one.

Best wishes

Tony

I know most Microsoft OS's have a remote assistance feature somewhere but I find the freebie version of 'Teamviewer' very useful for trying to sort out PC problems remotely:-

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I was trying to get him to see what state SSL was in last night but which is why I got him to send me a screen dump as I was saying (over the phone) eg "look at the icon top right" and was being told there wasn't one. There isn't and none of the menu items seem to lead to account settings so I don't know what has happened. I hadn't suggesting investigating the outbox so I'll give that a suggestion.

To make the menu bar visible and hence access to Tools | Options press Alt + M and select "Show Menu Bar"

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I know most Microsoft OS's have a remote assistance feature somewhere but I find the freebie version of 'Teamviewer' very useful for trying to sort out PC problems remotely:-

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Thank you, I'll definitely investigate that one (especially as it is free to non commercial users!).

• RMweb Gold

To make the menu bar visible and hence access to Tools | Options press Alt + M and select "Show Menu Bar"

Cheers,

Dave

I had him hitting a few alt + letter combinations last night but I don't recall suggesting alt m. I'll add that to the list of things to try. Apparently none of his flat mates are windows dabblers so he is still relying (probably foolishly!) on me.

Best wishes and thank you

Tony

Erm......could be wrong here but I get the impression that Windows Live Mail requires a subscription in order to send mails and won't support any E Mail clients either so you have to send and read on the server.

I have never really used Outlook except at work. I cut my E Mail teeth as it were on Incredimail which also requires a purchase (plural if you want some extra features to decorate it). I currently use Thunderbird. Difficult to set up accounts but once done, lightning fast. I do miss my Incredimail though but I think it may have fallen into different hands and is being used for marketing.

Erm......could be wrong here but I get the impression that Windows Live Mail requires a subscription in order to send mails and won't support any E Mail clients either so you have to send and read on the server.

Windows Live Mail does not require a subscription, it's the replacement for Outlook Express and the Vista Windows Mail :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

My email says Windows Live at the top - but it is Hotmail. Also includes Messenger, which I have no need of. I wouldn't dream of paying for this service!

Mine too and neither would I but I have been unable to get Incredimail or Thunderbird to access and download messages. I got a lot of advertising exhorting me to 'upgrade' to Windows Live. Upgrade means pay up to me.

I have had this problem with MS before and although they are very sophisticated and support their OS's well enough, I think they treat all of their other programmes in the same way.

I have abandoned MSOffice as well.

• RMweb Gold

Mine too and neither would I but I have been unable to get Incredimail or Thunderbird to access and download messages....

Although I've had some problems with my son's email I reinstalled Thunderbird last night (just so I knew what I was doing if I have to talk him through it over the phone) on the PC most similar to his. One of the options on setting Thunderbird up is for it to automatically find settings from your email address. I don't know if this is something to to with btinternet addresses also being associated with Yahoo mail but his didn't actually produce a working email system so I just edited all the settings to what they were on Outlook Express and it is fine.

Archived