Class 380 Deliveries

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning a visit to the WCML. Does anyone know if there is a regular path for the delivery of Class 380 units to Scotland.

Jamie

From what i've read in the railway mags they seem to run overnight up from London. So you may not have much luck. Have a look in them in Smiffs or somewhere, they are mostly pretty good at listing what paths were used. Or perhaps someone who has a recent copy can post on here, haven't got mine to hand right now.

From what i've read in the railway mags they seem to run overnight up from London. So you may not have much luck. Have a look in them in Smiffs or somewhere, they are mostly pretty good at listing what paths were used. Or perhaps someone who has a recent copy can post on here, haven't got mine to hand right now.

I believe they run under Class 7 timings (45mph max), so probably wouldn't be seen on the WCML in daylight. Those leaving Dolland's Moor have left early afternoon, but are presumably staged at Wembley. I've only ever seen them at stupid-o-clock at Frethun.....

The 380s have been hit with software problems which all parties involved want resolved, Transport Scotland esp. as they threw £200 million at them (sounds a lot for 38 units of 4 cars). As a result, when the Airdrie - Bathgate service starts, they will have to take stock from other services to prop up this one. This I see as a problem as a lot of Scotrail intercity services are standing room only. If loco hauled trains were used here, the ridiculous and underpowered 170s could be moved onto services they can handle.

• RMweb Gold

The 380s have been hit with software problems which all parties involved want resolved, Transport Scotland esp. as they threw £200 million at them (sounds a lot for 38 units of 4 cars). As a result, when the Airdrie - Bathgate service starts, they will have to take stock from other services to prop up this one. This I see as a problem as a lot of Scotrail intercity services are standing room only. If loco hauled trains were used here, the ridiculous and underpowered 170s could be moved onto services they can handle.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/class-380.html

How much did you quote for the trains ? :rolleyes:

Presumably you've read this (or similar)

Surely they will only have to prop the service up if the faults persist ? - a few mays in there still.

Calling 170s ridiculous is somewhat bizzare, I find them quite cute myself :blink: and underpowered for what ? the Birmingham - Leicester stopper ? or is there a specific service you have in mind ?

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/class-380.html

How much did you quote for the trains ? :rolleyes:

Presumably you've read this (or similar)

Surely they will only have to prop the service up if the faults persist ? - a few mays in there still.

Calling 170s ridiculous is somewhat bizzare, I find them quite cute myself :blink: and underpowered for what ? the Birmingham - Leicester stopper ? or is there a specific service you have in mind ?

I got my news from Railbrit but read the full story here: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/transport-environment/train-shortage-fears-as-200m-fleet-is-refused-1.1060457 .It doesn't say if the stock will be taken from internal services or all over the british network.

They are underpowered for use on the Perth - Inverness line but they seem unable to make up time on these services to Glasgow despite there only been a handful of stops. I would much prefer the 185s which I've been on a few of and loved to pieces. They are well powered and much more spacious in feel.

• RMweb Premium

Pattern of deliveries on UK soil for the 380's appears to be through the tunnel to Dollands Moor. Then forwarded overnight to Wembley after which they seem to be fowarded again overnight from there to bonnie Scotland.

Last one I can find was last Thursday when 380101 and 380111 went from Wembley to Scotland, apparently it passed Leighton Buzzard at about 20:50. Consultation of the various gen groups on Yahoo will usually give you a heads up on what is on the move.

All so far seem to have run as headcode 7X80, most new/refurb stock deliveries tend to use a head code that reflects the class of what is being moved, the 378's have 5X78, the 442's 5X42 etc.

How far doon the WCML are you? If you go past Polmadie and look out the other side, you will see them all parked in the sidings there. I passed them there the other day.

we had a major dispute with scotrail about running the new Bathgate-Airdrie line as DOO only. We had 6 strike days and they brought in managers from all over First group to break the strikes. If they DO have to use older stock that will need a guard, I really hope every guard in Scotland turns round and tells them to ###### off!

• RMweb Premium

I'm going over to Preston at the beginning of November hoping to see my last 180 and Thursday sounds to be a good day . Scotland will have to wait for early next year for various reasons. Thanks to everyone for the in fo.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

All so far seem to have run as headcode 7X80, most new/refurb stock deliveries tend to use a head code that reflects the class of what is being moved, the 378's have 5X78, the 442's 5X42 etc.

507s and 508s 5X68 and 5X75 ... :P :lol:

Archived