CCT Transfers

Ben Alder

Following a throwaway remark in a topic re. the demise of Woodhead transfers- specifically wagon markings- John Isherwood advised me that he has produced a sheet that replaces this lost treasure. Trying to get chalk markings to a scale width is very difficult, even with a Rotring type pen, and this sheet makes another job much easier. Here are a couple of shots as applied, before weathering was applied to hide the film. I must say that I haven't used CCT much, but am very pleased with what I have worked with, and hope to expand my usage with them.

I'll perhaps post finished pictures when I've got there.

Richard

post-2642-097613700 1286927940_thumb.jpg

post-2642-077389300 1286928050_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Without wishing in any way to criticise a customer's work, might I make a few suggestings that may help improve the effect even more?

I know it goes against the grain, but the carrier film of my transfers will totally disappear if the transfers are applied to a GLOSS finish. Just a spot application of gloss varnish where the transfer is to be applied will do.

Once the transfers are thoroughly dry I seal them with another spot application of gloss. The final weathering can then be applied.

If you look at photos of wagons with chalk markings, most markings are fairly well covered with muck and are pretty indistinct.

However, if you want to represent the odd recently applied marking, then pre-weather the model, apply the transfer to a spot of dried gloss varnish, and then spray the entire model with a mist of matt varnish to restore a uniform matt finish.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers,

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/.

• RMweb Gold

A useful thing to remember about chalk marks on wagons is why they were applied. As Richard's examples demonstrate place names tended to be quite high up as they were usually chalked on from platform level when marking vans up for loading traffic.

By contrast numbers tended to be near the bottom of the bodywork, and could also be found on vehicle ends near the edge, because they were usually chalked on during shunting to mark a cut or, more commonly, to mark which road a particular wagon of raft was to be directed to.

Without wishing in any way to criticise a customer's work, might I make a few suggestings that may help improve the effect even more?

I know it goes against the grain, but the carrier film of my transfers will totally disappear if the transfers are applied to a GLOSS finish. Just a spot application of gloss varnish where the transfer is to be applied will do.

Once the transfers are thoroughly dry I seal them with another spot application of gloss. The final weathering can then be applied.

If you look at photos of wagons with chalk markings, most markings are fairly well covered with muck and are pretty indistinct.

However, if you want to represent the odd recently applied marking, then pre-weather the model, apply the transfer to a spot of dried gloss varnish, and then spray the entire model with a mist of matt varnish to restore a uniform matt finish.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers,

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/.

Thanks for the tips- these pictures were taken before I finished them off, so are really not as they are meant to be. I trimmed back excess film with a scalpel, and hid the surface with a wash of Games Workshop brown or sepia wash,so they are not so prominent. I'll post a picture to show the finished effect when I get round to another batch of photographs.

Richard

OK, a further wash and layer of grime was added to tone down the newness of the transfers. Here is a too-close-up of one of the vans, and then one of them in service. Once on the tracks any traces of film is invisible to the eye, and this transfer sheet makes adding the once common wagon markings an easy task.

post-2642-018046400 1287181176_thumb.jpg

post-2642-065062800 1287181217_thumb.jpg

Richard

Archived